Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenathegreat

Why are dryer vents so difficult to hook up?

jenathegreat
17 years ago

Is it just my DH and me? Every time we've ever had to move the dryer (granted, that's not very often), it's always a MAJOR ordeal to get the darn vent hooked up again.

The metal ring that goes around the vent is really hard to screw in the first place. Second, it's hard to get it tight enough that the vent won't come off the vent end at either the wall or the dryer itself. We've also tried some little metal clamp rings, but they don't hold it very tight either. We've tried less rigid vents and one that's more rigid hoping that the clamps would work better on one of them, but they don't.

We have a very tight space to work in and we're not small people, so squeezing behind the dryer and squatting down to get to the vent is really hard. And then, just when you think it's all connected, you push the dryer back into place and the blasted thing comes off again! ARGH!

Thanks for reading my rant. Any suggestions? Are we complete idiots and the only people in the world who have this problem? When I see suggestions that say you should vaccuum your dryer vent every year, I just laugh - no way would I take that sucker off if I didn't have to!

Comments (15)

• rogerv_gw
    16 years ago

Couple of suggestions. I'm currently using stainless steel circular clamps (called hose clamps) for the ends of vent pipes that have thumbscrews instead of the ones with just screws that you have to stand on your head to tighten. Those clamps work with free-standing wood stove chimney pipes (not the ones with thumbscrews, never used those except on dryer vents) so they should work even on rigid dryer vent pipe.

Also, I haven't done this, but it seems me if you have rigid dryer vent pipe that if you make a lengthwise cut in the pipe, not past the part that covers the outlet from the dryer, that would allow a clamp to compress the pipe around the dryer outlet better and would help.

-Roger

• gordonr
    16 years ago

I was poking around and found this product on the internet. Have no idea if it works well, but it's a different take on the dryer connection problem. Would want to learn more about this item before considering it. Right off I'd be worried that the heat from the dryer would degrade the materials used for making the seal over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick Connect for Dryer Vent

• tdang84_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I bought a dryer exhaust extension from Lowes and attached it the dryer exhaust. It gives you more room to work with. Hope this helps.

• amaret_gmail_com
    12 years ago

this video gives very helpful tips:
    http://www.dryerbox.com/flex_hose_tips.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: flex hose tips

• carl wilburn
    4 years ago

It's not you. The designers of the vents are idiots. Hope they can read. Yes. I'm a little miffed at the moment.

• Jeffrey Caban
    4 years ago

I always liked this the Magvent models for tight spaces-

https://www.magvent-dryervent.com/

Jeff

• bobbi1023
    4 years ago

I have a ridiculously small laundry room and realized after the washing machine was all setup and beautifully balanced, that it would almost be impossible to hookup the dryer. The dryer should have been done first. I came across the magvent. What an excellent product. They come in a couple configurations and truly saved the day for my husband. I recommend them highly. A happy user here.

• mari_621
    3 years ago

I'm going through this now. I can't believe how ridiculously simple it seemed and what it has turned into.

• Benjamin Geist
    2 years ago

Thank you all for these posts. I hate trying to connect my dryer hose and it’s nice to hear I’m not alone.

• HU-432002184
    last year

Gorilla tape the heck of it!!!

• HU-769261372
    last year

I felt like i was an idiot not being able to connect the dryer vent but it‘s a relief to see these comments. I can’t believe there isn’t a smarter way like twist and lock or anything that makes sense. i’ve literally secured the dryer vent with the clamp three times but it comes right off!! Worst engineering, ever!!

• G W
    last year

Lee valley magna vent. Best thirty minutes I ever spent installing anything. So easy now. Will install first thing in any future homes. Check it out. Cannot recommend enough.

• G W
    last year

Oops, should have checked previous comments. But the more votes the better, I guess.

• clt3
    last year

Yes, magnavent!