Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Washing Machine is starting to stink a little bit...

Posted by amj0517 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 13:56

I never - well, rarely - leave wet clothes overnight and I leave the door open when not in use. Why is my machine starting to smell musty? How can I get rid of the smell?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Washing Machine is starting to stink a little bit...

I think there are about a billion messages on this on this board if you take the time to read through it.

o

Leaving your door ajar is not the solution to avoiding odors. The solution is to make sure you wash regularly on HOT or SANITIZE and make sure your machine's internal heater is maintaining those high temps properly. Don't use too little detergent, and don't use too much fabric softener.

o

If you have not been regularly using HOT water you may need to clean the tub.

Body oils/bacteria can build up in cooler temps on your drum.

Use a product like Lemi Shine or Smelly Washer and the hottest water and longest cycle your machine has.

http://www.smellywasher.com/

Also, check if your machine has a filter on the front you can access. Small articles can get stuck in there and really start to stink. Once cleared out the odour will disappear.

This is a good video to watch and learn.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smelly washing machine?

o

definitely watch that video they have a great series of them that are very informative. Luckily I discovered them before I bought my FL's so I knew ahead of time.
I keep a container of clorox pop up wipes on top of my washer and once I am done for the days washing I use one to wipe down the gasket in the door and all around the door seal
I also never use liquids in the dispensers (except bleach), only powder. I use the Sears HE powder detergent and the purex crystals added in with the powder.

o

@ ravencajun

The detergent drawer is also a source of molds, so make sure you are also cleaning the detergent tray and the cavity where you insert the tray. Don't let mold or mildew get a foothold there.

o

yes that is one of the areas covered in the video tutorial.
using powders only helps prevent some of that build up that liquids leave behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here