Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! Advice on venting gas clothes dryer

Posted by foodfiend_gardener (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 13:32

We have 3 (well,2, option #3 is a bit "out there") options for venting our gas clothes dryer. Can anyone please advise which may be the best one?

1. Go out the back of the dryer, a 90-degree turn straight up 8' through the roof.

2. Out of the back, a 90-dgeree turn up 4',another 90- degree turn, then a 9' horizontal run to go through an outside wall.

3. Go out the back,a 45-degree turn down to the floor (run of about 4'), then 4 45-degree turns, along a 14' horizontal run out to the outside wall.

The question basically is, will the venting work better to come out of the dryer at 90-degrees and go up 8', or is it better to not vent vertically and go mostly horizontally even with a bunch of turns in the ducting?

Our contractor is an idiot (sorry, it's me who is "venting" now...) :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! Advice on venting gas clothes dryer

Fewer turns is better. Every turn/bend is equivalent to several feet of linear distance. Choice #1 is least turns and shortest distance. Be aware that the ducting should be cleaned of accumulated lint on a regular basis (once or twice per year), and #1 probably lends itself better to cleaning as well, other than the roof outlet being involved.

o
RE: Please help! Advice on venting gas clothes dryer

Thanks for the info. :) I am worried that lint will fall down and accumulate in the elbow, but I guess that I would just make it a point to clean the ducting a couple of times a year. Would I have to go on the roof to clean the outlet as well? It's not a huge problem, since it's only 1 level, but I am getting older (that breaking-a-hip issue...).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here