Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countingbackwards_gw

New $1K washer: Whirlpool, LG or Bosch

countingbackwards
13 years ago

I'm looking for a new washer to replace a dying Fridgemore that I got 7 years ago...budget around $1K. I'll be keeping the dryer for now as it's still fine, and we just don't dry with the dryer all that much.

The main choices I have are:

LG model 2901 (4.5 cu feet)

Whirlpool model 94 (5 cu feet)

Bosch model 300 or 500 (4.4 cu feet)

All of the above have the main features we need (a heating element to control temperature, a nice big tub, and plenty of cycle choices)

Our main priorities are:

1) Good, consistent cleaning, with good temperature control and a high-speed spin cycle that leaves clothes nearly dry at the end of the cycle.

2) Durability...I want more than 7 years out of the next one, and I don't want service calls.

3) Short cycles.

4) Low noise & vibration as the washer will be on the 2nd floor (meaning, on a suspended floor)

We do perhaps 10 loads weekly. I don't really see the point of the whole steam-cleaning thing, but the Whirlpool's fan to keep the laundry from smelling if you don't take it out immediately is a nice option.

I have a preference for the Bosch and Whirlpool from the standpoint that both are made in the USA, whereas the LG is made in the orient - and also I prefer their (Whirlpool & Bosch's) more stable model lineups, which indicate better parts availability going forward. But perhaps these preferences are misguided?

For Bosch...the reason I'm considering the 500 series model is not the additional cycles, just that the construction seems a bit better on the 500 models that I've seen vs. the 300 series models.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

cb.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!