Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave1812_gw

Why use baking soda with detergent?

dave1812
12 years ago

Doesn't baking soda reduce the alkalinity? If so, wouldn't that reduce cleaning efficacy of detergent?

Comments (8)

• sandy1616
    12 years ago

Baking soda, sodium bicarbonate, increases alkalinity slightly. I have never understood why it would be beneficial as laundry detergent is alkaline as well. Washing soda or soda ash would be a better builder.

• dave1812
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gee, i can't believe I wrote "doesn't baking soda reduce alkalinity". I know better than that! LOL! thanks for reminding me of that. :)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Dave -
    Baking soda is recommended because the person making the recommendation doesn't understand enough chemistry to realize that it and "washing soda" aren't the same thing.

It has a slight effect on odor, not much on dirt.

• tubeman
    11 years ago

Vinegar and baking soda would counteract each other and people commonly recommend mixing them for cleaning. Not sure why.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    11 years ago

Posted by tubeman (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 9:23

Vinegar and baking soda would counteract each other and people commonly recommend mixing them for cleaning. Not sure why.

Isn't this a most interesting question. Persons who paid a bit of attention in grade school science probably once learned that mixing baking soda and vinegar neutralized the two and produced some gaseous foam that was amusing.

Why do persons suggest mixing the two as a cleaning method?

• Pat z6 MI
    11 years ago

It sure works in unclogging my sink drains. Combination has been recommended for this purpose for years.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

I do know that using baking soda in conjunction with chlorine bleach doubles its whitening power, which means you can use 1/2 the recommended amount of bleach if you also use baking soda. I learned this in Chemistry class, and it has also been my experience.

I also know that, in my experience, using baking soda has a definite effect on removing odors from laundry.

It is billed as a cleaning 'booster'. It has been this for me, and it is extremely inexpensive (especially when bought in bulk, as I do). I don't use it as often as I used to, as I now use OxyClean in HOT water instead of chlorine bleach, but it's great to have on hand IMHO.

• mara_2008
    11 years ago

Baking soda softens the wash water. This can be a big help in softening rough towels, as FS reduces their absorbency.

FTR, I don't recall ever combining baking soda and vinegar (except when cleaning drains and in classroom volcanoes). I often use vinegar in the washer's FS dispenser, as it's great for stripping all detergent from laundry.