Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krs9_gw

Brand new Samsung Dryer rips clothes

krs9
11 years ago

I just got a brand new Samsung washer dryer set model 361 and after using it just a few times I noticed that the dryer rips clothes something terrible.

I already ruined two blouses and four delicate napkins.

From what I can tell the problem is the lint filter - when it is installed the filter doesn't sit totally flush with the right and left edge of the slot it goes into and clothes get caught on that edge of the lint filter that protrudes
I attached a picture but it's hard to see that the lint filter edge doesn' sit flush with the edge of the slot..

Anyone else have a problem like that?
Any idea what to do about it.

Comments (44)

• georgect
    11 years ago

I would call Samsung and get an e-mail address you can send that picture to (product development or quality control).

If you can, go to a store that has your model of the dryer you bought on display and see if it has the same flaw or if it's just one in a million fluke.

See if they have a fix for it or replace the whole dryer.

• krs9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The frame of the lint filter was quite rough at the edges which I think made things worse in that clothes easily got caught and the ripped.

I tried to smooth it out to see it that helps.

But I will try to take a better picture and also take pictures of all the torn clother and send this off to Samsung.

• pechicaconpelogrande
    10 years ago

I have the exact same problem! Didn't know what exactly was causing the ripping, but I see now that the lint filter could be responsible, mine doesn't sit flush either. Any luck getting in contact with Samsung? I've ruined two sets of very expensive Egyptian cotton sheet sets!! What a pain...

• diamond_ace
    10 years ago

I am experiencing this too. Anyone successful at getting a replacement or fixing on their own? So frustrating!

• allxs
    8 years ago

I'm having the same problem, the Samsung dryer that I bought new and paid a lot of money is junk. Samsung's dryer is badly designed so not only does the lint screen warp and not sit flush with the drum and rips up all string top clothes and bras, etc, it also ties all sheets into knots so they never dry and become permanently wrinkled. It is so badly designed that its hard to believe, except that nobody at Samsung cares about its customers or the stuff it sells.

• JoyandTom Manning
    8 years ago

My clothes get stuck in my Samsung dryer that I purchased in 2008. They always have. Some clothes have been ruined. It keeps twisting and twisting. Sometimes you can hear it doing this, if you're around. This has to be a terrible flaw in the design. Also, after my experience with front loader washing machines....will never have another.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Joy, back in 2008 when you bought it did you call and report this and request service?

• Tucker Zoey
    8 years ago

I have had the same problem with an LG dryer.

• sloan_rl
    8 years ago

Hi I know some of these are old post but I have been looking for other people that are having this problem I thought it was just me and maybe I was doing something wrong. I HATE this washing machine and dryer I am having the same problem with the dryer that others are having my clothes are getting caught on the lint filter where it sticks up. I have untangled my clothes that I just washed two time and It tore a big hold in my daughter vera bradley blanket that she loves. This happens everytime I dry clothes I'm so tired of this . Putting a towel in with the clothes is not going to help with this problem there needs to be a recall on this dryer if this many people are having the same problem. This could also be a fire hazard. Please let me know if anybody knows what we should do to have them recall this dryer it should not be sold in stores. I'm not sure i did this the right way this is the first time I have written on one of these forums. thanks.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sloan..how long have you had these machines?

• sloan_rl
    8 years ago

Hi I have had this dryer for four years but did not realize other people were having the same problem I was having with it until I found this page.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Than I guess the warrenty is over with...did you ever report these problems when it was newer? And if so what did they say?

• allxs
    8 years ago

Samsung washers and dryers are THE WORST!!! I paid top dollar for mine two years ago, purchased new from Fry's, and I've had problems since the first time I used them, particularly the dryer. Obviously Samsung is aware of the problem because it is so obvious that any competent manufacturer's product testing would have disclosed the defect and there have been lots of specific complaints posted on the internet for years. So, Samsung apparently doesn't care about its products or its customers because Samsung should have made an effort to reach out to the people that bought these badly-designed machines and offered to replace them or to refund the purchase costs, but Samsung did not do that; Samsung failed to make good on their end of the deal. Samsung took our money and gave us nothing but heartache in return.

• sloan_rl
    8 years ago

Allxs I agree with you I will never buy another Samsung product again. I bought my set from Lowes and wanted them to stack Lowes sold me the set and the stuff you have to get to stack them Lowes brought them out and stacked them. after about a month the washing machine was not working like it was suposed to so I called Lowes and they said I had to call Samsung so I called them and they told me because I had stacked my washer and dryer that it was not under warnity and they didnt work on them even if i paid them because they don't work on them if they are stacked. Now how dirty is that they sell me a stackable washer and dryer and never tell me any of this. Samsung should not make a washer and dryer thats made to stack and then tell you they dont work on them if you stack them this is just crazy. Now I find out that the dryer problem I have been having for ever is the same problem a lot of other people are having and its not nothing im doing. You are so right Samsung could care less after they get your money they are through with you and these sets cost way to much money for what we get from them I would rather have a cheap set from the goodwill store than have another Samsung. They should have had a recall on these a long time ago.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

That is just bad business. What did Lowes say about this Warrenty void? I'd for sure never buy from Lowes again either and I'd tell them. Samsung sure has earned themselves a bad rep.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

There must have been miscommunication or some other glitch or misunderstanding on the call to Samsung. There's no reason stacking the machines would void the warranty or prohibit servicing. Samsung would be subjecting themselves to consumer protection lawsuits if they voided warranty coverage on machines that are installed stacked when designed to be installed as such per the installation instructions/options. The warranty statements I find online say that in-home service requires the machine be "unobstructed and accessible to the service agent" (meaning custom or built-in installation that obstructs reasonable removal of or access to the unit presents a problem) ... but stacking doesn't fall under that scenario unless perhaps they're enclosed in a closet or wall-frame that requires demolition or disassembly to remove them.

• sloan_rl
    8 years ago

No there was no miscommunication I talked to more than one person Im not someone that will stop with what one person tells me I go to the top of the line so there was NO miscommunication. this is the way samsung does people. My washer and dryer are in my laundry room which is an open room with plenty of room to get to them Its just their policy not to work on them if you stack them . you call them and see how sorry samsung is to it customers that pay a lot of money for their junk. Guess i better get me a good laywer and take out a lawsuit . Maybe I would get eough money to buy me a good one.

• sshrivastava
    8 years ago

Samsungs are the worst washers on the planet, in my opinion. I was recently staying at my cousin's house and she has a Samsung VRT something. Noisy as all hell - you can hear that thing two houses over! And the musical beeping... make it stop! Every button press had a special musical note associated with it. What is this, a washer or a piano? And don't even get me started on the gimmicky "steam" and "refresh" dryer cycles which did nothing of the sort. I used the wrinkle-removal steam refresh feature on sweat shirt. It went into the dryer completely dry, and came out soaking wet. It took another 45 minutes of drying to remove the moisture from the "steam refresh" dryer feature.

Plus the porthole "chrome" is plastic and the "glass" is also plastic in one of the units. Try and do something as simple as adding a rinse? Forget it! The washer doesn't have the ability to add a rinse - at least not in a way that could be discerned from looking at the functions and listening to the uplifting MIDI spirituals emanating from each button press.

I auditioned a Samsung washer at the store some years ago. Opening the pin trap should be a straightforward affair, except doing so on two units at the store resulted in broken pin trap doors. Cheap plastic garbage. Run away from Samsung!

• Cammie Kelly
    8 years ago

mu husband and I experienced the same thing and realized that lint gets deep down in under the filter where we can't push the trap all the way down causing our clothes to get snagged by the edges. My husband took a hanger and got all the extra lit out and then was able to close the trap. Now our clothe are getting torn by getting caught in the drum. This is a poorly made dryer. Never ever will I purchase a Samsung dryer ever!!!!

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Add me to the list of people generally underwhelmed with Samsung machines. The only positive elements, for me, are a true sanitary wash and good capacity. I'm disgusted with the lack of a selecting an additional rinse; the steam is indeed gimmicky; rinse levels are low; etc., etc., etc.

I can't justify new machines right now because these technically "work," but I look forward to the day I can. Really bummed that Miele is out of the question because of my setup, but Electrolux looks promising. Maybe something new and exciting will come along in the mean time, too. . .

• KATHY
    8 years ago

As Cammie Christina stated it is lint down in there keeping it from seating all the way. I just had a tech out for warranty service because of no heat and pointed this out to him and he cleaned it out and it seated much better in there. He told me to use long handled screwdriver to clean it out. Vacuuming doesn't always get to it.

• Chip Joyce
    7 years ago

Fixed it.

There was a lot of impacted lint that prevented the screen from seating properly.

I loosened the lint with a pain stirrer, and then I jammed a narrow vacuum cleaner attachment and that extracted the lint in big chunks -- chunks that plugged up the attachment, but I just pulled them off.

The filter then fit perfectly.

• Ginger Valdes
    7 years ago

My Samsung dryer has cut perfect circles out of damask napkins. Today the drawstring of PJ bottoms is stuck between the basket and back wall of the high end, expensive stainless steel tub. Stuck! How the hell do you get that out?

• outlawhimsy
    7 years ago

Many comments expressed that their dryer unit is several years old. I purchased mine in the fall of 2015. After only half way into my first year, manufacturer warranty, I had to call and get a replacement lint basket because the thin mesh at the bottom was coming apart at the seam. They replaced with no problem. THEN, I get the issue you're having! I can't count how many of the little coat hanger ribbons have been ripped off by this thing and I'm not making any special effort to turn my blouses inside out! I happened to find 3 on the floor by the dryer and I wish I hadn't thrown away the dozens of others! The last time it happened was the last straw! Too bad, looks like the only way I can attach a photo on this app is to take a real-time photo and my pic is a few days old. I have a 5 year extended warranty through Best Buy, but of course they don't cover the lint basket - only the mechanics. While waiting on hold just noe for Samsung to record my claim, I though I'd Google my issue, as SURELY this can't just be happening to me! I have the model # DV45H6300GG/A3...not even the same dryer as the one in your photo - and, it's a newer model. Clearly this issue is inherent in all front loads. So unhappy. I'll post their response but will certainly refer Samsung to these posts as well.

• Cedric Owens
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

So glad I didn't buy Samsung. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you.

• enduring
    7 years ago

Don't replace with another Samsung. I have their frig, now it works, but I had to have 3 repairs on a 18 month old appliance. I will not ever endorse Samsung anything.

• mrb6228
    7 years ago

gjvaldes -

Your photo indicates drum sagging. Look at the gap difference at 1 o'clock position verses the 5 o'clock. You need new drum rollers or something very heavy has been in the dryer.

MRB

• Ginger Valdes
    7 years ago

Thanks mrb6228. That's exactly what was wrong.

• Julie Bowen
    5 years ago

I am having the same problem even after cleaning the lint. All of my towels have pulls from the dryer. How did you fix the problem with the roller?

• HU-287707084
    4 years ago

I have had the same problem with torn clothes and a lint filter that does not lie flush. When I pulled the filter out of the machine I noticed one side did not close the same as the other side. But with a little effort I was able to push the uneven side in so that it closed like the other side. Then when I installed the plastic filter back into the dryer, it fit flush. I do believe that is why we all have been experiencing torn clothes. I wish I could send Samsung a bill for all my ruined blouses and torn towels. Horrible.

• RichardWebUser
    4 years ago

I agree about holding Samsung responsible for countless clothes RUINED by our dryer pulling the fabric and leaving massive runs in the fabric. I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem, but when I discovered this thread I realized that Samsung has really dropped the ball on this one. Have any of you had to replace this dryer due to this problem? It dries the clothes well, but ir also ruins clothing equally well!!! LAST Samsung dryer I will ever waste my money on!!!

• HU-103712968
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Unreal.... just took my sheets out of package and washed them and dried them on delicate in Samsung and this is the result!!!!! So unfair!!

• HU-103712968
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh wow now I see what I’ve been cutting my knuckles on......

This light

• KATHY
    4 years ago

My Samsung dryer has not messed up any of my clothes, sheets, etc. but I do keep an eye on how the filter is fitting. I have cleaned out where the filter fits in 2x in the 7? years I have had it. Long screwdriver to pull out excess lint so it fits flush.

• HU-383107913
    4 years ago

We have had this dryer for 6 or 7 years . This problem of wading up clothes and tearing clothes started a couple months ago. The solution of getting a long screwdriver and digging out the packed in lint at the bottom and cleaned it out. Of course being a redneck I cleaned it out with my .22 rifle cleaning rod, hey it was handy. You might be a redneck!

• monicakm_gw
    4 years ago

Samsung knows phones, not washers and dryers!

• HU-299339433
    3 years ago

We have also experienced similar problems with our washing machine which has damaged clothes with holes, rips, bubbling and lint. Having paid £769 for an appliance that is useless I would advise people to avoid these two brands for which I had a premium price for what I thought would be a quality product and customer service. They try to blame you for using the incorrect spin setting, however 6 of their 14 programmes are actually automatically set to the highest of 1400rpm. 1400rmp spin is also used in their product title as opposed to an extra specification. I reduced the spin to 1200rpm and still had the same problem, so have reduced it to 1000rpm, however clothes are obviously not as dry. They also say about zips, to which I zip my clothes and noticed one wash did not even have any zips. It also seems to break zips. Brand new clothes are damaged after the first wash and within a month of purchase. They also advised about mixed loads and to separate into hard and soft fabrics, however this is not practical with a household of three family members. I have tried delicate washes and silk materials developed rips. It is extremely condescending and patronising as I have been washing clothes for 30 years and never experienced these problems with any other brands. I also have to turn clothes inside out in fear of them being damaged even more.

Trustpilot scores are 2 for John Lewis and 1.4 for Samsung out of 5 and am not surprised that John Lewis, Birmingham is now closed after assuring me that Samsung were better than Miele and the product is no longer available online.

John Lewis and Samsung are both stating there is no fault, however Citizens Advice Bureau have advised that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 it is not of a satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose and has not lasted a reasonable time.

• Dave Jacobs
    3 years ago

Ya I had the same problem but mine happened when washing , the plastic pieces inside the Samsung washer fell off and ripped a few loads of clothing and blankets and sheets . Will samsung replace our belongings if not we should file a lawsuit

• Ginger Valdes
    3 years ago

Dave, you’re probably right. It might be eating my clothes in the washer. I only notice it after the clothes have dried. Although I’ve never notice a fallen off plastic piece. Sometimes it cuts perfectly round circles, once from my antique monogrammed family linen napkin.

• Matter U
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Had the same problem with my Samsung dryer, pulled the threading from my bed spread, pillow cover and sheets, anything that was delicate. Check the dryer lint screw that is in the middle of the lint trap. My screw head was gnarled and sharp which cause the material to catch and pull.

• Mark Gustinis
    2 years ago

So I finally fixed the problem! Now don’t judge me. After trying to clean the lint tray with a screw driver and still having no success I told myself I was ready for extreme measure. I took out my box cutter and rounded the edge and then sanded it just on the one side (because clothes don’t get caught on the other side given the way the dryer tumbles). Take a look. Not fancy but it worked!

• A Green
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I am having the same problem. Any fixes yet?

• outlawhimsy
    8 months ago

I'm not sure if everybody's filter opens/closes like a taco, regardless of dryer model. Over time, and being in a hurry, the spine of mine has thrown the corners out of alignment. As shown here, it's warped to the left. I appreciate the reminders that thorough lent sweeping is good performance and safety practice, tho! When I make sure BOTH little corners are inside the bigger ones, it fits flush in the cradle. Hope this helps. I LOVED the design of my Samsung fridge with Soda Stream carbonated water feature but after a year, it empties the expensive CO2 canisters almost immediately, and Samsung icemakers (and replacement parts) are NOTORIOUSLY for ----. Dumped mine for an LG and plan to do the same with the washer/dryer. I was very loyal to Samsung, but in the next few months the only Samsungs in this home will be the smart switches and phone.