Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
izeve

Ink stain removal?

izeve
12 years ago

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remove stains on clothes from liquid ink pens? I have a cardigan and a shirt that I like that I managed to stain at work. I've tried a variety of things and don't seem to be able to get them out. Any tried and true methods?

Comments (8)

• jseeley
    12 years ago

When ever I have an oil-based stain in clothes whether it's ink, grease or oil, Lestoil never fails to disappoint. Apply a small amount just enough to cover the stain, rub in and let sit for 10 min. Then wash.

Even if you use a small amount of Lestoil, after the wash, it may leave your clothes smelling a bit like the Lestoil at first but it wears off.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Acetone, aka nail polish remover, is the best for ink (ball-point, felt-tip, gel, and sometimes if you're lucky, even Sharpies). If you've been washing and drying, though, it may have become set. It's worth a try none the less.

After testing for fabric safeness, I pour some directly on the stain to completely saturate it. I keep it wet until I start to blot up ink with a paper towel. Then keep using acetone as long as you can blot more. Eventually you'll have removed most of it, then rinse under barely-warm running water. If some stain remains, let the cloth get partially air-dryed (do not use a dryer), and then try another round.

Good luck!

L

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

We always used hair spray to remove ball point pen ink from clothes. It is usually on hand and you could give it a try and let us know if it worked.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    12 years ago

1st detergent, rinse.
    2nd hairspray, blot, rinse.
    3rd rubbing alcohol or acetone (acetone may dissolve some synthetic fibers), plus oxygen bleach, blot, rinse
    4th if a yellow stain still remains, use rust remover.

• cleanteamofny
    12 years ago

Hair Spray is the first line of defense against ink stains.
    But total removal will be achieved with Clorox2.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT machine dry until ink is totally removed!

Lestoil will not have any effect on ink stains so use it only on oil based stains.

To remove scent of Lestoil:
    1. Rewash garment using regular detergent.
    2. Add 1 cup of Baking Soda and 3/4 cup of Vinegar in the first rinse
    3. Add Fabric Softener to 2nd rinse.
    The scent should be 98% removed!

Tip of the day:
    Lestoil has a shelf life that will eat a hole in the plastic bottle.
    Transfer to a glass bottle and nothing will go to waste!

• lynettefrancois
    12 years ago

I think I read somewhere that it's the alcohol in the hairspray that removes ink. Rubbing alcohol, possibly. Whatever alcohol it was I read about, I used it and it worked well on ball point pen.

• Wallet
    11 years ago

I have a Kathy Van Zeeland wallet that is cream color. I have had it for years now. The first time I used it I accidently got ink marks on it while in my purse. I changed wallets because I couldn't get the ink out. I tried hairspray, WD-40, bleach, alcohol, 100% acetone, nail polish remover, and some house hold cleaners- no luck. I then decided to try mixing bleach with baking soda and it worked!! After the ink had been on there for at least a year it took it off. Now I can reuse the wallet. I took the bleach mixed with baking soda and a Q-tip sturring it often and applied to ink. Then I took the baking soda and spread it over the wet part of the bleach and baking soda mixture and let it sit for a bit then took a soapy wash cloth wiped it clean then I rinsed it with just a wet wash cloth and dried. Be very careful tho when using because the 100% acetone worked but only by removing a small part of the vinyl and I didn't want that to happen with this mixture and it didn't.

• eleena
    11 years ago

I bought an Ink stain remover from Ace Hardware store.
    It is called MötsenböckerâÂÂs Lift Off 3. It works pretty well unless the stain is old.

It is even biodegradable - which is huge plus for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Motsenbocker-Lift-Stain-Remover-Marker/dp/B000P6WJ76

Before finding it, I used Oxiclean on fresh stains and it removed most ink stains, except for black ones, as I remember.