Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jem199

Good source for wicker baskets?

jem199
13 years ago

We are giving our mudroom/laundry room a facelift. It's a 10' x 10' room with two closets. One closet is a closet/pantry. The other has the washer, dryer and utility sink in it. The closet/pantry is getting bypass doors. Doors won't work on the laundry closet. No door would allow the area to be functional. We are painting the dark fake-wood paneling cream and removed the red bandana wallpaper and chose a terra cotta color to match the clay colored tile floor. It's really looking nice!

Our contractor will be here tomorrow to install a laminate counter over the washer dryer and add the swanstone drop-in landry sink. I will post before and after pictures when the 'after' is finally here.

As for the baskets. Over the washer and dryer are shelves that we keep all kinds of detergents, cleaners, shoe polish, lightbulbs, etc. They are nice built-in shelves with decorative molding. We decided to keep them instead of putting in cabinets. To hide some of the necessary clutter on the shelves, I would like to buy the 1 sq ft. wicker baskets that would act like drawers. I found some at Ikea, JC Penny and Pottery Barn. Do any of you know of any other good sources for this type of wicker basket?

If this was just a utility room off to the side somewhere, I wouldn't bother. But this is the entryway to our home. We're trying to make it look more inviting and less utility. We bought a teak bench, an artful coat tree that looks like a tree, very nice light fixtures and a wool rug. We'll add family pictures and artwork. I've made chocolate sheer panels that can be pulled to the side of the washer and dry closet out of the way most times, but to be pulled down if we're entertaining. There is a light in that closet and it looks really nice lit up behind the sheers. Except for all the tide and light bulbs lol.

Comments (6)

• suz_natural
    13 years ago

No source suggestions to add, just wanted to share in your excitement about your laundry room facelift. I'm also doing mine and am as excited as a kid in a new candy store. I shopped online for hours at Ikea, comparing all their baskets and measuring EVERYTHING. Actually, I do have one other source you might try: Wal-Mart. I was in the other day and they had nice looking ones in the crafts department. They were more expensive than Ikea, IIRC, but did look nice and were fabric lined. I'm in Canada - I imagine the selection would be even greater in the States. Have you looked at Target or HomeGoods? Ha! So much for not having any source suggestions :)

Good luck and have fun. Looking forward to seeing your after pics.

• jem199
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope we will be done in a couple of weeks. It's hard to work all day and then come home and work all evening after dinner. And work all the weekend away. My gardens are a mess from the neglect!

This room adjoins our kitchen which will be completely remodeled on 6/1. We decided to 'do something' about this room because it will look even more terrible next to the beautiful new kitchen. The mudroom is the only room in the house we hadn't done anything with. The wallpaper was from the 1960's.

I'm more exhausted than excited lol. This is helping me keep my mind off the kitchen. Before I started this, I kept second guessing all those expensive decisions. I saved for 5 years for the kitchen. Getting the mudroom counter and sink is going to allow us to have a 'mini kitchen' for the month ours is out of commission.

What's killing me is all the little things - outlet covers, baskets, hooks, decorations. I'm always so burned out when I get to the 'fun' part.

SO what are your laundry room plans? Have you started yet? I'm in WNY and travel to Canada often. In fact, we picked our granite from a quarry in Hamilton.

• debbie1000
    13 years ago

We are working on our laundry room also. It is also just off the kitchen. I'm here looking for ideas for a valance.

I used baskets that I got at Michaels. They are high gloss back and hold a lot of "stuff." I have three on top of my cabinets over the washer/dryer and another on the other side of the room.

I am using them for long term storage--kids stuff that maybe they will eventually want when they move out. I have the items in large plastic bags stuffed in the baskets. You can't see the bags from the floor and it looks like just several neat baskets.

• suz_natural
    13 years ago

I just got back to this thread. Thought I had chosen to receive follow ups, but guess I didn't.

My laundry room facelift is at a total standstill. I was thinking of redoing the floor but changed my mind. And then I got distracted by a lot of details (baskets, anyone?) that drained my energy, really. Those Ikea baskets that looked perfect online are way too scratchy to work in real life. My progress is also dependent on someone else's participation and said person has other priorities. Can you imagine?! What could be more important than a pretty laundry room? :)

I hope your progress hasn't stalled, Jem? And what about you, buddysmom? Have you found a valance solution? I'd love to hear more about your projects. Hearing of someone's progress will re-ignite my interest, I hope.

• weiwang
    12 years ago

Join in Wickerchina to buy wholesale wicker products from China manufacturers at the most competitive price!
    Top 6 Reasons to Choose Wickerchina.com:
    1. Lowest purchase cost: save 25% for each buyer
    2. Access to âÂÂFree Purchasing Agent Service"
    3. Simplified, efficient trade process for seeking suppliers
    4. Multiple supplier sources available: most from China mainland and Hongkong
    5. Licenced user information and preservation of confidentiality of it
    6. Dedicated contact with registered buyers through our account management team

Here is a link that might be useful: buy wholesale wicker products from China

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Michaels, Target, Wal-Mart & Garden Ridge are my suggestions. I found some really nice ones at Michaels' but they didn't fit our space. Target came through for me nicely @ $12.99 per basket right before Christmas. They have smaller & larger sizes too. Here's a pic...

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz