Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msfidget

Does anyone know how to remove odors from the DRYER?

msfidget
17 years ago

I mistakenly left my vitamins in my jeans pocket and ran it through the washer and dryer. One of my vitamins is a fish oil capsule. Now everything I launder reeks of fish!

It's been a nightmare. I've managed to get the odor out of the washer by running washes with various things. But I just can't figure out how to get rid of the fish smell from the dryer. Unless I use liquid fabric softener and tons of heavily fragranced dryer sheets, all my clothes come out of the dryer smelling like fish!

Does anyone have any tips on how to remove odors from the dryer? I'm going to have a baby soon and I know I can't continue using all this fragranced stuff on the baby's clothes, but I certainly don't want the baby to stink of fish!

Any suggestions you could offer would be sincerely appreciated.

PS: I have a front-loading Bosch Axxis 2460 with matching condensation (nonvented) dryer.

Comments (11)

• bj_inatlanta
    17 years ago

A less odorous solution (and a safer one) would be the procedure jcrowley99 suggested except use white vinegar. It is wonderful for removing odors. Might try, after the wiping procedure, leaving a small open container of it left sitting in your dryer overnight. The smell will dissipate faster than bleach will, with no toxic fumes. Run your dryer on high after the vinegar use & then leave its door open 24 hrs or so.
    Good luck--what a nightmare!

• asolo
    17 years ago

Dampen some old towls with well-diluted lemon juice (10: 1 or more....use fresh juice; not canned or bottled) and tumble dry. I think you'll be impressed.

• msfidget
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so very much for your suggestions! I thought I destroyed my dryer. You guys saved it!

• sparky823
    17 years ago

You can also cut an apple in half or quarters and lay that in there for a while-overnight and it will take care of the smell. Great for the microwave if you ever burn popcorn or lay on the kitchen counter to help with a smell in the kitchen.

• kittycat88
    16 years ago

do any of you all know if that would work with cat urine too?

• krazeyelf_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I tried to bleach wash/water rinse described in the first post and it worked wonderfully.

• Don Fox
    6 years ago

Hehe, I left my fishing clothes in the dryer for some time and my wife complained of the smell. As I treat my pool with hydrogen peroxide, I sprayed a 3.5% solution of it and water into the interior and wiped each surface twice with towels. Smell gone. I also did as asolo advised above with the towels, to be doubly sure smell wouldn't come back.

• Mieko Hawkes
    5 years ago

This is funny! I just googled "how to get fish smell out of my dryer" thinking nothing this specific would come up! Haha! I did the EXACT same thing....fish oil vitamins left in jean jacket pocket. All I can smell is "fishy". Thanks for posting your question! Going to try all of the above!!! Fingers crossed!

• mbrionic
    5 years ago

We tried running my teenage son's lacrosse pads through the washer and dryer. Not only do they still stink but the whole dryer stinks and everything that comes out smells like those nasty lacrosse pads. I wiped out the inside of the dryer with a mild cleanser and water, then tried the lemon trick suggested above. Worked like a charm!

• diablodreamer
    2 years ago

I just did this....6 fish oil caps in my sweater pocket. I have been running loads (my clothing that was affected and towels that were not in the same load) all week ((5 times so far) with hot water, bleach, baking soda, and then drying them with multiple dryer sheets. I also washed the inside of my dryer with diluted bleach. The clothes still stink, but definitely less. The towels, which got the smell either from the washer or dryer, are finally almost ok. I read that someone put lemon essential oil and on guard essesstial oil in their washer and that worked. I'm going to try that next. ....other things I've read but not tried: Soak in tub with baking soda over night, Natures Miracle odor and pet stand laundry detergent from Petco, BTW, it's nice to know I'm not the only person to have ever done this!!!! Good luck everyone.