Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to best vent 2nd story internal laundry room

Posted by melissat99 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 10:37

We just bought a house with an internal 2nd story laundry room where the dryer currently vents directly into the attic. We obviously need to extend this outside, but am wondering how best to do so. Should we do the vent straight up through the attic roof, or turn and go out the gable ends of the house?

Attic isn't particularly tall, so I'm guessing extending the vent straight up would be ~ 8 feet. Extending the vent out the side of the house would be ~14/15 feet.

And we are not trying to do this ourselves - I just need to figure out if it will be going up through the roof in order to coordinate that with the other items (water heater / HVAC replacements) that will be creating new roof holes so that I can try to get those all done at once so that I only need to pay for one visit from the roofers.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to best vent 2nd story internal laundry room

The best practice would be to go straight up and out the roof.

The less bends there are in the run the less resistance and possibility of lint build up there is.

If you live in a cold climate, be sure to insulate the ducting.

Plan ahead and make it easy to detach/reattach the ducting so you can easily clean/inspect for lint.

Get the best roof vent now to prevent problems later. (check out link)

Here is a link that might be useful: DryerJack - New Low-Profile Roof Vents for the Dryer

o

georgect - thank you for the reply! If we're venting out the attic, do you know who the best professional is to handle that kind of work? (Hoping to get all my new roof holes put in place on the same day.)

And we're in Houston, so I'm guessing insulation won't be as big of a concern for us.

o

An experienced contractor or carpenter.

No you shouldn't need insulation for your area.

Straight duct pipe listed for a dryer is fine (no PVC, no semi-flexable aluminum etc).

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryer Vent Installation Cost

o

I wouldn't recommend going more than 15 feet high in total height. Most manufacturers mention this in their manuals.

o

I live in Houston and we have this kind of dryer vent. The laundry room is in the middle of the house and the vent just goes up and out the roof in a straight shot. There is a 90 degree elbow where the bottom comes out of the wall. It works well. Even a chimney sweep company could install this for you.
That's who we call to have ours cleaned out every few years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here