Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancita_gw

stackable washer with gas dryer?

nancita
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are redoing the entire second floor to include a WD closet. Looking for an electric washer and gas dryer.

Thank you.

Comments (8)

• dadoes
    11 years ago

All washers are electric.
    There are no washers on the market that use gas (natural or propane) as the power source. :-)

Pretty much any frontloader pair with controls on the front can be stacked.

There are also all-in-one stacked units such as these (which cannot be separated):
    GE model GTUN275GMWW
    Maytag model MGT3800XW

• nancita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks,
    Yes, I do know there no gas washers. I was looking for a washer and gas dryer. Guess the washer is more important? I have read many posts and the most popular ones are over $1000 each. Kind of pricey. There are just DH and myself, no kids so laundry is about once a week.

• kateskouros
    11 years ago

i have the bosch vision 500 W/D stacked in my mudroom. been using them several times a week and i'm very happy with them. i use a minimum amount of detergent and everything comes out clean. i really like the sanitize cycle for whites since i don't like to use bleach. and aside from a small mishap with some tomato sauce, i haven't had to. i paid over $1000 for them when they had just come out but you can get them now well under that. highly recommend!

• janiceme
    11 years ago

Actually, the Amish use propane or gas fired motors to drive wringer washers. Can't see those washers fitting into a closet though ;-)Do you have a shed?

I am curious about the safety of gas dryers in a closet. Do you already have a gas line to that closet? Is the closet large enough to handle the venting needs of gas?

I have had friends who swear by their gas dryers (or in some cases, swear at them), but those installations have all been in basements or large laundry rooms. I always understood that gas dryers needed more space, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if w/d units sold to the RV industry would have what you want. They are compact and most RVs use propane in some form. Good luck.

• Northlut
    11 years ago

Our temporary apartment has a GE stackable set with a gas dryer. They're no-frills and kind of small, but they do the job. I'd imagine they're on the lower end of the price spectrum.

• nancita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the plumber needed the specs for the dryer so I decided to go with Whirlpool Duet. CR rated the washer very well and the dryer also did well. I am sure I will love it.
    Thank you all for all your input. I appreciate it.

• Northlut
    11 years ago

We have always chosen gas dryers because they're so much cheaper to operate.

Be careful to actually calculate this, and not just assume. Electric is actually slightly cheaper for us based on the current rates.