Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panamamike

LG General Reliability Experiences Please...

panamamike
14 years ago

Tomorrow is the big day, first day of govt. rebate in my area. I've pretty much settled on the LG. I didn't get much feedback on my other model specific thread. Maybe I can get more responses regarding the general reliability experience.

From my reading, I've found a few folks have had issues around the 3 year mark. Some of the concerning issues I've read.

1: Washer starts our well balanced, litle movement. Then a few months or year later, it develops an issue with balance shaking.

2: LG washers can "rust out" near the hinge area in just a few years. Requiring machine replacement.

I don't know if this is just an issue with a few lemons or maybe even operator error. I'd like to hear from folks on the board what kind of reliability experiences they've had with LG.

According to CR, they are one of the most reliable.

Regards,

Mike

Comments (26)

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

My LG set is 3 years old and without problems. I think that some of washers might need to be re-balanced if necessary, that doesn't seem like problem to me.
    Don't know about hinge problems yet.
    Friend of mine has an LG set two almost 5 years and no problems. Non of us uses bleach or any aditives, just detergent. She uses cold water washes a lot and has no problems or smell.I wash on hot and sanitary.

• panamamike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a done deal. Thanks for your input czechchick2. I guess you're the lone LG owner on the board. :)

Is there a reason you don't use "additive", I've been using fabric softener. Does that cause issues?

Mike

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

It's a long story. First, I am use to Persil from Europe. Here in USA I tried just about every detergent and having really hard water past 15 years I needed to add other things to detergent to get results when I stop using Persil to save money. Over time I realized it didn't make sense to keep guessing and experimenting, having several boxes sitting in laundry room so I went back to Persil. I cut it w/ Roma or I use 1/2 and 1/2. I don't use bleach b/c it makes me very sick plus I believe there are other ways to keep thing clean than just cover it up w/ bleach.
    I add Cascade sometimes to my loads but since I also have other fl and it heats water up to 194, so I use that one for washing whites.
    I believe the right amount of proper detergent is good enough.
    I like fs but didn't use it for few years b/c of my bf skin problems. But never had any problems when I used it.I do have the dryer bar now that is great.
    I use prewash on most loads. I always put detergent right in drum-don't have to clean the dispenser. If I use vinegar in the rinse I just put splash in the dispenser. If you will use fs, cut it w/vinegar. You will have to wash the dispenser here and there.Fs will get stuck there little. Use hottest possible water. I use water plus on exta rinsing. If you wash heavy/absorbing items, try mixed loads-they will rinse better or use quick wash cycle for good rinse.
    Bottom filter needs to be cleaned every few months. You will find out as you drain the water, if the water smell, rinse more. Mine drains clean and clear w/some tiny sand like things. Here and there I check the boot, I runmy hand in there to make sure it's clean. Sometimes there is little lint dried in- extra rinse takes care of it.
    If I need to pre treat stains I put it in prewash without detergent.
    I always believed the more chemicals you use the more water it takes it out. I think fs needs extra detergent to wash it out and that also takes it more water for rinse. Everything in moderations.
    Try the Bounce dryer bar, it is simple. If you not looking for strong smell,you might like it.

• panamamike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thx for the tips. I'll have to keep those in mind. I don't mind using a little extra water if it means softer clothes.

Is that the only concern regarding FS?

Mike

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

My miracle cure is hottest water and extra rinse. I am a rinse freak! I don't worry about the bill or saving earth and let the washer get moldy and laundry stinky.
    Sorry, green people.
    Just play around for a month, match your laundry dirtyness w/ proper dose of detergent and you'll be fine. I use 1/4 of cup in prewash and 1/2 a cup in main wash. I don't use body lotions but my bf does and that needs extra detergents and hot water to get it out. We have hard water. After a month check and smell the bottom filter-specially after not washing for 2-3 days. If it smells a little, do sanitary load on longest seting and use couple of extra rinses. You should be fine. In past I had this rotten egg smell in my filter couple of times but that's long gone. Must be the rinse and hot water! Who knows?.
    Good luck!

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

I haven't heard of the Hinge problem
    (Hinges can be replaced?)

We've had our LG for 2 1/2 years with no problems.

We use bleach for washing, and sometimes use vinegar (not for silk) in the F/S dispenser
    (don't use too much or it will syphon out)

We keep the Door open for at least a few hours after we're done washing.

After a few months, the bottom of the Door Boot Gasket was full of "stuff".

I cleaned that and did a "Tub Clean Cycle", and now once a month.

Get an LG model that has the "Water Plus" option and the "Extra Rinse" option and the "Tub Clean" cycle.

Not all LG models have all of those features.

I leave an empty plastic "ice cream bucket" weighed down with a small brick,
    in the utility tub right under the washer drain hose.
    Even after the washer has finished it's cycle, I can always see a sample of the "final rinse" water.
    No need to empty it, it'll get flushed out with the next wash load.

• whirlpool_trainee
    14 years ago

You people in the USA seem to have more luck with LG washers. The ones sold in Europe don't seem to be as good - even though they boast even more features, such as a heated rinse and a newly developed suspension, they still have some issues. Our CR does its own endurance testing with washers. They run 1840 wash cycles on three samples of each tested model to see how well they hold up. LGs usually fail this test sooner or later because of software glitches. They refuse to turn off, to heat or cancel cycles prematurely. In the last test, the drum vanes even broke off.

Another, personal, issue I have is the lack of temperature control with these washers. Most of the US washers don't have a thermal stop anymore - they will heat for a certain amount of time and then move on. It seems only Bosch and Miele ($$$) guarantee to reach the set temp. Of course, I live in Europe where every washer always reaches the set temp. Doesn't seem to be a problem to most Americans, though.

Another thing I have to mention is that not only LG washers are quiet due to their Direct Drive. Most front loaders sold in the US today are very quiet. That's one of the big selling points: front loaders are quieter than the agitator's corkscrew mechanism of traditional top loaders. Every FL with an induction / brushless motor will be quiet - some more, some less, of course.

Alex

• panamamike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting on the endurance test. All I've seen in CR are reliability history numbers. LG is currently ranked the best at 9%.

It would be nice if they ran a test like the one you're describing.

Mike

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

We've had ours for 4 yrs - going strong, no problems at all
    I leave the door open, I wipe the boot after most washes

GL

• wunder22
    14 years ago

Am I the only one in here who hates his new LG front loader. The washer makes so much water hammer it ruined my entire plumbing system and my ice maker. Water hammer is the loud pounding sound when the washer valves close. This is a very serious problem. I am throwing mine away after two months. Thanks LG, you just cost me $3000.00.

• asolo
    14 years ago

"Sorry.... The person you were looking for doesn't exist."

Yo, wunder 22. Do you exist?

I think there's more going on than the machine's valves. In particular noticed you said in your other post that installed arresters didn't help. Wish I was there to see this. Something's clearly wrong, but I'm doubting its the machine's valves. Could be wrong.

• wunder22
    14 years ago

I wish you could see it to, asolo.

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

We had the same problem when we first got our LG Washer.
    I installed one of these on each of the Water Valve inputs AT THE Washer.
    click on picture $10 ea.

• panamamike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just had the LG delivered, pretty neat machine. It went through the first wash cycle and I was a bit surprised by the level of noise. My previous FL was quieter in the low speed turning.

This one seems to have a bit of whirling/growling noise? not sure what to call it, is that a normal sound?

When it kicks to higher speed seems the sound is fine.

Mike

• whirlpool_trainee
    14 years ago

Yep, that growling noise during normal tumbles seems normal. Check out this YouTube video and you'll hear it: LG Washer - End of Cycle

Alex

• panamamike
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Regarding Vinegar...

czechchick2,

After your post I did a little searching on the idea. I saw a link indicating I need something like 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup? Will the dispenser hold that? Do I really need that much?

Also saw posts indicating Baking Soda might be an alternative.

Mike

• czechchick2
    13 years ago

I never use that much, more like splash or two otherwise I would smell like a pickle if I don't run aditional rinse after that one!

• dwsmith
    13 years ago

LG = Large Garbage.

I dropped $2000 on a LG washer and dryer. The dryer had to be replaced within a week because the door gasket allowed air to escape making a whistling sound. It whistled while it worked, loud enough to hear at the other end of my house.

The washer will not clean clothes well no matter what we do. Four service calls have been made, no one showed up for the fifth, and LG will not replace or make a refund.

The problems? Not enough water and there is dirt and lint on top of the door glass after each use! LG said that there is no way there will be dirt or lint on the door glass.

No matter what cycle we choose or what extras we add, all the water the machine adds is 5 gallons. (After a large load, I allowed the machine to drain into a 5 gallon plastic bucket after the wash and rinse cysles and it filled up the bucket once plus a little more in another.) LG customer service stated that for a large load, 13 gallons would be used and with their "Water Plus" feature, an extra 3 liters would be added.

To top it all, the repairman who came out the first three times, told me my clothes were to dirty for the LG washer and that I needed to get a $50 trade-in to wash my blue jeans. He also told me that the dryer would require two cycles to dry completely. That he was right about. His advice also was to stop using liquid detergent and liquid softener because they gummed up the interior of the washer, use 1/2 of the recommended HE detergent and to start using dryer sheets. All are not recommended by the LG instruction manual.

LG = Large Garbage. LG = AKA Gold Star. Save your money and find something else that really works. BTW The top loading 15 year old Whirlpool that was replaced by the LG was on its last legs before it was replaced. On its last day in my house, it did a better job of washing than the LG did on its first day.

Save your money. There are better brands available!

• regus_patoff
    13 years ago

dwsmith said:

> dirt and lint on top of the door glass after each use!

doesn't make sense

> all the water the machine adds is 5 gallons.
    > LG customer service stated that for a large load, 13 gallons would be used

ALL Front Load washers use about 5 gallons per wash, rinse, rinse

13 gallons per cycle.

> told me my clothes were to dirty

could be

• regus_patoff
    13 years ago

The F/S Dispenser will hold about a half cup of Vinegar.
    (don't use too much or it will syphon out)

there won't be any smell after one rinse and through the Dryer.

ReaderÂs Digest vinegar in the washing machine

• dwsmith
    13 years ago

regus patoff:

LG told me in a phone call that with a large load, 13 gallons would be used with an additional 3 liters if the water plus feature is used. Not 13 gallons for the entire cycle. BTW Wash + rinse + rinse equals 15 gallons following your theory. I guess you know more than they do or they lied. And it used the same amount of water for a small load as it does for a large.

My clothes to dirty for the LG? That's what the repairman said even though the old Whirlpool did a better job on its last day. Sounds more like the washer isn't as good as it is supposed to be.

Am I p!@@#d off! You bet! I wasted a ton of cash on a large white paperweight.

Dirt and lint on top of the door glass! You bet! It is visible and when wiped with a finger, there is obvious link and other matter trapped there.

• panamamike
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dwsmith

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. I don't doubt you had/have a lemon, but that doesn't mean all LG machines are bad.

BTW, In what part of the world are you living? I hear LG Europe isn't as good as America, go figure...

So far I've done a couple of loads and the clothes came out pretty clean. I put in a pretty well soiled set of yard work clothes and they came out fine. I don't know how "dirty" your clothes are, can't comment if your expectations are reasonable.

I knew a couple that used to wash their cloth diapers in a FL without first doing a rinse. They where upset it didn't perfect clean the diapers? I'd consider those clothes too dirty.

I will say that I dread the thought of having a lemon or needing repair service on big ticket items. I haven't had very good experiences with companies when it comes to dealing with an expensive lemon. I'd demand a replacement unit. You should consider writing corporate via their website. That can get someone's attention. Maybe send in pictures or video.

Regards,

Mike

• czechchick2
    13 years ago

Too dirty clothes require prewash.
    If you pack washer full of too dirty clothes, it needs extra detergent and extra cycle to rinse it. If not, yes you can have lint on the door. It hapened to me when I washed fuzzy dog blankets and filthy yard clothes. No biggie, just rinse extra and use smaller loads. Stiff working pants and jeans need more room to move around. Don't pack it in.
    BTW, prewash is recommended for almost all cycles- at least on my wahser.
    There is still possibility you got a lemon and they should take care of it.
    Hey, I got car lemon few years ago and they made me feel like I was an idiot. Wasn't untill I drove 100 miles to the next dealer and they took care of things. It took 4 monts before everything was taken care of.
    Good luck.

• regus_patoff
    13 years ago

dwsmith,
    > LG told me in a phone call that with a large load, 13 gallons would be used with an additional 3 liters if the water plus feature is used.

Probably reading it from a manual.
    Did they say for each portion of the Cycle, I don't think so.
    they're saying for a large load (complete wash/rinses cycles)
    I've watched my House Water Meter as it's filling, rinsing, etc...

> BTW Wash + rinse + rinse equals 15 gallons following your theory. I guess you know more than they do or they lied.

It depends on the size and type of load.
    It senses how much the load absorbs the water (water level of un-absorbed water)

> And it used the same amount of water for a small load as it does for a large.

depends on the "fabric", etc...

• tlcthis
    12 years ago

Oh I hope I am not to late to for warn some of you from purchasing a front load LG I have model number WM2801HWA spent 1035.00 on the machine and yes I have corrosition on my hinge. Not to mention rust developed on all the lipped area's below the detergant fill. I do use bleach on a few loads. LG will not replace the front panel they say it is cosmetic. I think it is design error on there behalf. I believe water is getting out of the detergant fill during the wash and getting over the little lip and down the crack that is there (not sealed at all) and causing the problem.

I would also suggestion you call to have a diagnostic run while it is within that warrenty. My machine was not getting up to speed and the machine did not give me any error code to indicate this. Just luck that it got caught, but I have a feeling this is another on going issue.

DO NOT BUY FROM LG THEY WILL NOT HELP RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM. I will be checking into a class action suit.

• Goldens1
    12 years ago

Our experience of owning LG Tromm's for 3 yrs. now has been totally positive.

We researched Consumer Reports before purchasing these appliances but perhaps more importantly, I consulted the husband of a teacher I work with that works as an appliance repairman for a local, small town, appliance store. His initial recommendations were for higher end models that he feels break down less frequently, but for example Fisher & Paykel I could not afford. When I told him I was at a more moderate price point, he said to look at the LG Tromm.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living