Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salishsong

Gas dryers w/right-side vents?!

salishsong
12 years ago

Well, I'm completely humbled by the search for a new washer and dryer. First it was the size - my laundry room is quite small. Now I discover that it's hard to find a gas dryer which can vent from the right side. Had to find that out the painful way...finding the dryer standing in the middle of the tiny room, plumber gone, vent hooked up from the back and taking up a quarter of the poor room's width.

I did clarify specifically that this would be a right-vent dryer with the salesperson. Well, the dryer COULD be right-venting...if it were electric. The salespeople at my HD were great about it though, and will take the set back with no problem. They do not, as they and I discovered, have any gas dryers that can be right-venting.

Any suggestions on right-venting gas dryers? The Whirlpool Duets, at least some of them, say they're 'four-way venting', but they don't specify that the right side is one of those four ways, or if that specifically applies to gas as well as electric.

Tomorrow, I can start calling the companies directly. But I thought there might be some insight on here to get me moving forward today....

Comments (11)

• georgect
    12 years ago

Try these...(link provided).
    Hope that can lead you in the right direction (no pun).

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryer Venting Side Help

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

Miele T 9822 gas dryer has back, left and right-side outlets.They provide two caps (shipped on the left and right sides); simply unscrew and relocate the cap needed to be moved to change duct outlet.

• knot2fast
    12 years ago

I think there are a number of dryers that can be vented to the side. Check closely whether the gas model places any additional restrictions on the vent options.

Speed Queen sells a side vent kit for their dryers, but you can only vent to the right (viewed facing the machine) for their gas models. The burner is in the way for left venting.

• dave1812
    12 years ago

No wonder the salesperson didnt understand. Home Depot appliance salesman aren't of the caliber of say, someone working at Pacific Sales. I've had a few conversations with a couple of HD appliance guys. Very underwhelming.

• salishsong
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all. The Mieles sound wonderful, but they're out of my price range. That's interesting about the Speed Queen, but their front loading washer is too expensive for me. Whirlpool seems clear that the Duets I'm considering will vent through the right side, so that's probably what I'll end up with.

Dave, my Home Depot has landed (probably due to the economy) some terrific plumbers and electricians, people who really know their stuff and have been very helpful throughout our DIY build. But I agree, the appliance people are just that -- salespeople, and not particularly knowledgeable.

Live and learn! So many opportunities for that this year. For instance, who would have thought that a water heater would be shipped with the drain valve in the open position? It certainly never occurred to our plumber...!

• suede57
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Just to bring this thread up to date.

Currently, Speed Queen gas dryers only vent from the back or the left.

I found that out after my 4 yr old SQ gas dryer went on fire, just one month out of its 3 yr warranty. :-(

In looking to replace it with another SQ to match the 4 yr old washer, we were disappointed that they no longer vent from the right side, which is ideally what we need.

• suede57
    2 years ago

Hi dadoes,

Yes, I believe you are correct about the change of design and gas burner being on the right side of SQ machines.

We believe the cause of the fire was due to the poor installation of the vent extension that was put inside of the machine in order to vent it out of the right side. The dryer was pretty burnt up, but it appears that the interior connection of that extension wasn't done properly and it opened up just enough to allow lint to accumulate inside.

We maintained the visible areas of the machine, including the lint trap and the exhaust vent, but never thought to open it up to clean inside the machine. Not that anyone should really have to do that.

Thanks for replying!

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Most manufacturers recommend cleaning/inspection (disassembly) of a clothes dryer every two years, more or less as indicated by usage frequency and amount of lint accumulation. I expect very few households do it. Following that tenet presumably would have revealed the exhaust conversion issue before your fire occurred at 4 yrs.

• suede57
    2 years ago

I have never heard of having that type of inspection and I've had several clothes dryers in my 60+ years. But I imagine the problem would have been caught early enough to avoid the fire!

Thanks so much for providing that information. I will make note of it with my future purchases.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Speed Queen recommends inspection/cleaning every two years. It's stated on Pages 13 of this user manual for a current model, and also referenced on Page 5.

Speed Queen DC5