Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pk66

Miele W4842 - liquid vs. powder detergent

pk66
12 years ago

I went to Costco and bought Tide HE - one was powder and one was cold water liquid detergent. I bought both. Do I need both? I bought both because they didn't have Tide Original liquid like in my grocery store.

For now I'm only using the cold water detergent for everything (warm and cold washes). Clothes seem to come out clean.

I'm assuming the powder is used for high temperatures and the rest I can use the "cold water" detergent. Am I correct?

Hope I'm using the machine correctly!

Comments (24)

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

I use both, and there are several W4842 cycles that do not allow the usage of powder!

I know for sure, off hand, that The MasterCare cycles: Comforters and Denim/Jeans and The Express Cycle specifically state the manual, that LIQUID detergent must be used.

I use Tide he powder a lot (and LOVE the smell and performance). For the cycles that dictate Liquid detergent, I use Persil Color Gel or Tide he liquid with a touch of Downy or Tide he liquid Total Care.

BE CAEFUL with cold water washes. Not only are they the least effective at cleaning, it is bad for the "guts" of any washing machine. Use Warm for items that you are concerned about, in regards to fading, streching, etc.. Then use Very Warm or Hot for sturdier loads. You will prevent mold and mildew issues later down the road.

Also, ALWAYS leave the washer door ajar, when not is use. And once a month or so, run a Clean Machine Cycle with liquid Chlorine Bleach, or a Tide machine cleaner pack. You'll never have one issue!! Good Luck! :)

• pk66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good information! Thanks.

I will read the manual and see what I will need the powder for - otherwise I'll just return the powder and use the liquid for everything - less confusion!

I have one question not realated to the detergent - after every cycle I have water collected in dish where you pour the detergent - so I empty the water after every load and then pour detergent for the next load - why is this happening?

Thanks again Larsi.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@pk66, do you notice your tray pops out (even slightly) during the load?

I had this problem initially and it would cause water to be left in the tray.

My tech replaced a clip and all has been fine for more than a year now.

I never have residual water but I do take my drawer out when I'm done for the day and leave it in my laundry sink. Just allows air to flow through there and keep it all dry.

• pk66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks @livebetter

Yes it does pop out. It probabaly happens during the load - but I never noticed it. I only noticed it at the end of the cycle and I assumed that was an end of the cyle indication or something:)

Good idea to keep the tray out - I only keep the door open after wiping it down. Do you wipe the inside grrove of the gasket - I don't - it feels awkward like I'm ripping it apart and somehow spoiling it!!

Will observe my next load and call Miele and let them know.

• livebetter
    11 years ago

Here is a photo of the exact clip that needs replacing (it is the orange clip in the photo). This seems to have been a huge problem for Miele as there are many complaints about this issue. Must have had a faulty batch of clips.

My tech took one look at the issue and knew it was the clip. He switched it out for a new clip and I've not had one issue since. The drawer felt like it was being held in more snugly too.

I rarely wipe anything out :) I do occasionally just wipe the boot.

After I run a clean machine cycle I wipe down the glass and the boot. That's about it for my maintenance.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@pk66 - I always, without fail, wipe the inside groove of the gasket on my W4842. It's not that difficult and the gasket is fine. I figure that's why it is made of flexible rubber. We live in the hot, humid South where mold can set up overnight. Since I'm allergic to mold, I don't take any chances.

• larsi_gw
    11 years ago

Cavimum....Agree 100%

I am SO allergic to mold. I had extensive mold allergy testing, at a top notch University hospital in Los Angeles.

@Livebetter...When I am not using the machine, I ALWAYS remove the soap tray, wipe the inside cavity and the ceiling of the tray area, and I ALWAY leave the soap tray out, so everything airs and dries. I take no chances with mold! ICK.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I remove the soap tray, wipe it dry as well as the cavity for it, and leave it on top of the machine between laundry days. It is such a simple thing to do; an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• pk66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great advice! Thanks a bunch.

@livebetter - thanks for the picture - now I realise what clip you were talking about - haven't gotten around to calling Miele yet. Yes it does pop out in the middle of the cycle!

@Cavimum - I will now start wiping the inside groove of the gasket because I have allergies too! I wasn't sure that if I was messing up the gasket by "ripping" it open to wipe dry :)

@larsi - will now dry the soap tray also. I'm now using the warm cycle more - but is it ok if I use the "coldwater" tide liquid detergent for warm cycles?

• livebetter
    11 years ago

"is it ok if I use the "coldwater" tide liquid detergent for warm cycles?"

yes

I couldn't open the faqs section on their site today but I've read it before and they say yes you can.

Get Miele to switch that clip out for a new one and you'll be good to go.

When you have the detergent tray out run your finder along the channel where that clip would travel. You'll feel a bump further back. This bump keeps the tray in place when pushed in - obviously the clips that came with our machines were faulty and didn't make contact with that bump enough to hold the drawer in (puzzling so many have the issue).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tide Coldwater - faqs

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I have used Tide "Cold water" in HOT cycles with no problems. It is formulated to work better in cold than (I guess) their other formulas, but definitely works fine in HOT. I use the "free" version and can no longer find it in our area.

• rainy5
    11 years ago

I just bought meile yesterday. I used to use persil and I love it. I may go get some today. I had two year old electrolux that caught fire from the faulty circuit board. I am using one tablespoon of tide powder I think it is ok. I have hard water. I have never had mold issues with any of my machines I leave the doors open after I wash everyday. I do alot of hot loads with kids. Maybe thats why. I water my downy down to just give a little scent. I think downy full strength helps cause mold I also use vinegar for softener. Not sure I want to in my miele. My question is do miele get mold easier? I see all the people talking about wiping the belt dry everyday? Can I use borax in my machine? To help whiten whites? I was also using homemade laundry soap with fels napa in my electrolux washer I had no trouble. The circuit board didn't go in that yet but I got a good deal on the miele washer and dryer. The circuit board on the electrolux washer would go crazy and make all sorts of beeping while running on the washer. I think my kennmore front loader had cleaned better. It just gave out after five years of five load of laundry at day. I have five kids. It was not worth dumping 1000. into. So do you find the miele gets mold easier? Does anyone use homemade detergent? Is this safe for my washer? What should I avoid using in my washer? Thanks

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

Avoid using liquids at higher temps (hot and sanitary) as they tend to suds more, especially Tide products.

• mrb627
    11 years ago

Is there a liquid detergent insert for the W4842 machine? I see no mention of it in the owner's manual.

MRB

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@mrb627 - there is no special liquid detergent insert with the W4842, nor is there a need for one. You'll put it in the same place as the powder detergent. I use both types (not at the same time) and have had no problem.

• mrb627
    11 years ago

So when you add liquid detergent, it runs right into the tub. Then when you start the machine, the pump comes on and pumps it out? That doesn't seem right.

Plus, you cannot use liquid detergent when adding a prewash.

MRB

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

The liquid doesn't run out of my soap tray, but our water is in softer end of the 'moderately hard' category and I use very little detergent. It mostly just sits in the dispenser tray due to the small volume, but I rarely use more than a half-Tablespoon of liquid detergent or we have suds overload.

For experiment, I just now filled the soap tray with 1/2 cup of water, and it does slooowly drip out. Maybe the thickness of liquid detergent wouldn't drip out much.(?)

You raise a good question about the water pump removing residual water in the bottom of the tub when a cycle begins.
    It's probably not an issue unless the machine is programmed for a delayed start. By then, the liquid might make it down to the bottom of the tub if the delay is an hour or more.

I've never used the pre-wash but I think @larsi has. Others will have to comment on that.

• sshrivastava
    11 years ago

mrb627 said:So when you add liquid detergent, it runs right into the tub. Then when you start the machine, the pump comes on and pumps it out? That doesn't seem right.
    Plus, you cannot use liquid detergent when adding a prewash.That's not true at all. The detergent compartment has a flap in the rear, with a rubber seal, that will hold your liquid detergent in the detergent tray until it is released. You just cannot put liquid detergent in the pre-wash compartment, so just keep powdered detergent to use for that compartment. No big deal.

• pk66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@livebetter - regarding the water collecting in the detergent compartment - the Miele guys came and repaired something (I wasn't home) and it did solve the build up of water at the end of the cycle by some but not all. I still have a little bit of water that I empty into the sink (maybe a couple of table spoons now vs. maybe a 1/4 cup of water before). I wish I was home when they came and repaired it. I plan to call them again but just wanted to check with you if you solved the water problem COMPLETELY or if you too still have little bit of water that needs to be emptied. Thanks a lot for your help.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

@pk66 - My W4842 always has a bit of water left in the soap compartment, too; maybe a Tablespoon. And there is some left in the Fabric Softener dispenser.

• pk66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks @Cavimum. That sounds about right. I just empty that and leave the tray on the top of the washer so it dries up completely.

By the way I washed a comforter today and Miele washer and dryer did a fantastic job. Love the machines.

• livebetter
    11 years ago

I don't think I have any left in the detergent area (maybe a few droplets) but there is always a little in the fabric softener compartment. My drawer works perfectly since he replaced that orange clip :)

• pk66
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I will check exactly which compartment has the water - I just pull the whole thing out and dump the left over droplets/tablespoons of water out into the sink. Then I leave it out to dry.

I guess I don't need to worry about the tiny amount of water left.

The drawer doesn't pop out anymore - so that is fixed but I just assumed that once the drawer popping out problem gets fixed there will be no water left in the compartments.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I paid close attention this weekend to our W4842 detergent tray, and discovered that my earlier post (above) was incorrect regarding the amount of water in the detergent compartment.

There might be perhaps 1/2 teaspoon of water at the most in the detergent section, at the end of a cycle. The fabric softener compartment usually has around a Tablespoon left, and the owners' manual mentions that this is normal. Mine seems to be functioning normally.