Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mieleforme

When did things change in laundry care?

mieleforme
14 years ago

I'm not sure when the differences in fabric care started to form between how we in the states do laundry and how most Europeans approach the task. I'm guessing the front load revolution happened in Europe for energy conservation reasons long ago, maybe even space saving issues since many install washer/dryers under the counter in the kitchen. I would also think that having the washer heat its own water was a force of economics or possibly due to the fact many structures are very old and re plumbing is either too expensive or just not an option (cold hook up only, condenser dryers). I'm not sure, I may be wrong about all of that but I'm certain someone will correct me. I also think that somewhere along that road it was discovered that cleaning performance could actually be better and higher temperatures useful. After all didnÂt our ancestors boil the laundry before they would scrub it up and down the wash board?

I think us yanks have been a little spoiled with plenty of cheap space, water, and power over the many decades. We never needed to change old habits from long ago, that is until now. Energy is becoming more expensive and sacred, water is becoming slightly more scarce and also expensive, sadly Green is no longer just a color. So in those regards we have finally caught up. Necessity is the mother of invention so now we have adopted the front load washer already widely used elsewhere in the world. I think most people are pleased with performance and operation but I will say many are afraid to use higher temperatures. When I told my grandmother my machine would heat water to 158F she looked at me like I was a degenerate. It has always been a misconception here that high water temperatures will ruin clothing. I know the trend of more colorful clothing in the early 20th century was a game changer. No longer could everything be boiled washed.Then came synthetic fabrics which really changed things. I'm thinking maybe fabrics became so mixed that on this side of the pond we decided just to play it safe, make it easy, and keep the temps down. Reducing the ability to tailor a wash program so specific to a certain kind of textile but also reducing the risk of melting grandmas polyester suit. It seems we have been relying more on chemical reaction for cleaning vs. the mechanical action that works so well in the front load machine. I have been curious for a long time now as to how these difference came to be. Because whether it was a Miele or a Maytag, they were all once wooden barrels sporting gas engines with ringers for kids to send a couple of fingers through. Somewhere along the line things changed.

Comments (10)

• happymomof2kids
    14 years ago

mieleforme,

You bring up excellent points. I am one of those terrified to wash everything in hot water for fear of total destruction of our entire wardrobe. LOL! Then again my FL doesn't wash that hot anyway, but I'm still scared. ROFL!

• gates1
    14 years ago

It is very rare that I wash anything in cold water, usually just jeans the first few times and after that they get washed in Warm. So far I have not destroyed any of my clothes. Delicates should be washed cold for obvious reasons, but other than that, I dont do it

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think its also noteworthy to mention that my grandmother not only thought the higher temperatures were crazy but when she found out some cycles take up to two hours well, thats when she shook her head and was certain I had lost my mind. If only she knew what I paid for this set she would more than likely try to have me committed. Grandmas, gotta love them right?

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

My parents visited me for the last week here in Arizona. They have a top-line Samsung front-load with the silver care. My mom did a couple of loads in the Miele, after which she commented "wow, this machine is so easy and simple to use. I hate the dial and all the complicated options on my Samsung". The comment took me completely by surprise. Many, including myself, have lambasted Miele for "dumbing down" their machines from the European models. Judging by my mom's comments, maybe Miele did do their homework correctly.

• aprince
    14 years ago

I'll just throw this out there. At 140 degrees, all dust mights are killed off. At 104 degrees, Only 6 percent are killed off.

• User
    14 years ago

ewe

• User
    14 years ago

aprince - Is that kill rate for dry heat (air) or moist heat (water vapour), or in water, and for how long must the dust mites be exposed?

If it's in water, is that with or without detergent?

How many are klilled if the bedding in hung on the clothesline on a sunny breezy day with low relative humidity?

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

aprince -- where's that info from?

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

I am one of those who think "the hotter water, the better". Growing up my mom boiled most everything, starched all linen,shirts and also ironed EVERYTHING! Socks, towels and undies included! BAck than,there wasn't dryer available to us so we hung things out or on radiators so it had to be ironed. Mom had a "laundry day", which I could not stand and till today I wash as I need. I know back then rinsing took huge amounts of water. My mon would be soaked and exhausted after doing laundry for half a day.
    We had hand made lacy curtains and those were boiled and starched too and had to be put on the wooden frame to stretch them in proper shape and let them dry stiff.
    My first washer was twin tub and when first Fl became available, I got one. I don't remember if it had heater (we had boiling water coming in from basement boiler so it was hot)but it did take huge amount of water in and it was very simple compare todays washers. Wash cycles ( I think there were 3 )wasn't as long as today.It did brake too. The electronics had to be fixed couple of times.
    When sysnthetics came around, my mom fell in love w/them. I think b/c she didn't spend so much time washing it or ironing it but she washed most of those by hand! I remember when first softener made it to the store. Everyone smelled the same- and more smell, the better!
    Doing laundry 4o years ago was a job but it sure was nice to lay down in crispy starched and nicely ironed linen.
    On the other exterme, my mother in law did not do laundry at all. She would pack everything once a week, loaded her car a took it to the cleaners. They would wash and dry clean it for her. Even underware. And that's when I learned not to like dry cleaning. The chemical smell was strong and things would be gingy at times but she didn't care.

• sspye
    14 years ago

The Amish near me clean their laundry the same way my Grandma did. (She is 90 and lives with my Mom.) They start with boiling for whites. They generally use hydrogen peroxide on blood stains on whites. ...as the water cools, they moves on through loads using the same wash water. They do add hot water as necessary. The dirtiest, men's work clothing is washed last. Since we are talking about the way things have been cleaned through the ages. ...and have you noticed that the Amish women wear strong color garments, in deep reds, greens and blues and they never look faded? I wonder what that secret is.....

Oh, and they make their own lye based soap...