Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dryer booster fan

Posted by salilsurendran (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 8:49

Hello,
I wanted to install a dryer booster fan since my duct is over 30 feet long. I was wondering do I need to buy a lint trap to go along with it? Also I measured the duct circumference which comes to 14" and hence the diameter seems to be 4.5". Most fans are for 4". Do I have to buy an adapter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dryer booster fan

Is the duct sheet metal or flex duct? I've never seen prefabricated dryer ducting that wasn't 4". How does it mate to the dryer, where the outlet is certainly 4"?

If they're really different diameters you should be able to join them with a good quality, metal backed duct tape. Or if it's flex duct, replace it.

o

I believe it is flex duct. It looks something like this

Here is a link that might be useful: flex duct

o

That should fit - notice how the ends are slightly smaller than the middle.

o

Yes, I would purchase and install an auxiliary lint box*. Also, are you having this installed by a licensed electrician?

*Link provided solely as a reference and not a recommendation. I have no affiliation with said company.

o

But my dryer already has a lint filter. Do I still need a auxiliary lint box?

o

I've not yet seen a dryer filter screen that blocks all the lint; this can be substantiated by the amount of blow-by lint found in the dryer ducting when you go to clean or replace the ducting on even the shortest of runs. The length of duct from the dryer to the auxiliary lint trap will become the most lint laden of the ducting, but it is easily cleaned; the balance of the thirty feet much harder to clean. The associated dampness of the dryer's exhaust is the primary catalyst to the lint formation on the inside of the ducting. You're running thirty (30) feet of ducting and now it is further assisted by a booster fan at the terminating end. Without the auxiliary filter you will be pulling more lint through the duct increasing the chance of lint formation.

o

I installed a lint buster fan. No additional filter needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lint buster fan booster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here