Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele Electric dryer question

Posted by matt.shaver (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 8:09

We are taking delivery of a Miele W/D set but before we all jump up and down I noticed that our 17 year old home has the older style plug. I've confirmed it is a 30 amp breaker with 220. I see that Miele sells a converter for around 60 dollars but no description as to what it does. The book states not to exchange the wired plug for a three pronged one either. The breaker box for the house is in the laundry room and it's about 8 feet away from the dryer outlet and I'm seriously thinking of having it rewired anyway. Is this what you all would do? What have you all done in the past. Just curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele Electric dryer question

All it does is plugs into the dryers 4prong plug. The other end plugs into your older 3 prong outlet. Electrical is the same so there is no conversion of electricity. You could just change your outlet to modern standard 4 prong but it may not be cheaper than buying Mieles highly overpriced cord. There may be a cheaper vers ion of coed at home depot or electrical supply store.

o

I just bought a 4 prong outlet to replace an older 3 prong. I got it at Lowes for $8.75. They had a few different 4 prong styles but the spec sheet for my new Asko dryer called for a NEMA 14-30R.

o

You can not change the cord attached to the back of the Miele. They are already wired with a 4 prong plug.
I was looking into Miele and wrote them about the cord issue (my dryers have all be hard wired).

You can not hard wire a Miele or swap out the cord to retro fit a 3 prong outlet.
It's wired for the new standard 4 wire (4 prong outlet).

This new standard has the ground wire from the service panel to the outlet. (not a ground wire from the electrical hook up to the cabinet of the dryer like in the past.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here