Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renov8r_gw

Venting a gas dryer

renov8r
9 years ago

What is the best method of venting our new gas dryer? We have 2 options. the first one is the vent it directly into the garage directly behind the dryer through a cement wall.
The second option would be to take the exhaust pipe down through the crawl space and out to the back of the house - about 12 feet. the pipe would be very close to the back garden door.
I have heard that the bend in the exhaust pipe will cause a build up of lint in the second option, but that the first option has problems with it as well.

Comments (7)

• sean_m
    9 years ago

Gas dryers put out poisonous carbon monoxide and MUST be vented OUTSIDE. Venting a gas dryer into any enclosed space is NOT an option, no matter how tempting it is. Even if you think you'll always open the garage door, you don't want to risk it.

• georgect
    9 years ago

Gas has to be vented outside or carbon monoxide could leak into the home.
    Electric could be vented into the garage but you'd have to deal with moisture and condensation.

You really wont have too many issues with a 12 foot run.

The maximum length depends on the type of ducting material used. Here is a chart of maximum lengths:

For 4" exhaust hoods and 4" diameter rigid heavy metal vent:

# of 90 degree turns Maximum length

0------------------------ 64 ft.

1 ------------------------ 54 ft.

2 ------------------------ 44 ft.

3 ------------------------ 35 ft.

4 ------------------------ 27 ft.

For 4" exhaust hoods and 4" diameter flexible heavy metal vent:

0------------------------ 36 ft.

1 ------------------------ 31 ft.

2 ------------------------ 27 ft.

3 ------------------------ 25 ft.

4 ------------------------ 23 ft.

• renov8r
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. My GC suggested venting it to the garage! I think he must have forgotten it is a gas dryer (at least I hope he had just forgotten)

• renov8r
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the information. My GC suggested venting it to the garage! I think he must have forgotten it is a gas dryer (at least I hope he had just forgotten)

• sean_m
    9 years ago

Either the GC forgot or they have theirs venting into their garage and the fumes are starting to get to him.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Venting electric dryers into the garage is against code too! It has to do with the wall between the garage and home being a firewall, and no penetrations between the two are allowed. That's why new homes must have a fire resistant door rather than the old wood one with the glass pane that most of us have that is grandfathered in until we replace it.

• enduring
    9 years ago

This is very good information, I am glad I you posted this Renov8r.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz