Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wonder why Persil and Ariel so expensive?

Posted by cross_stitch (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 5:08

Just came across this tonight. Guess who will bear the costs of these fines?

Here is a link that might be useful: Unilever, P&G fines approach half billion US dollars for European price-fixing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wonder why Persil and Ariel so expensive?

Persil and Ariel cost no more in Europe, than what Americans or Canadians pay for Tide.

Persil sold in the USA and Canada are price affected due to import fees and taxes.

I am always amazed, when I am back in Germany or Sweden and I buy a big bottle or box of Persil...and it comes out to like $7 or $8.

o

I also think good old fashioned greed plays a role in pricing. I can't believe a $7-$8 item becomes a $50 item due to import fees and taxes. I read somewhere that Miele is the sole importer and distributor of German Persil in the USA, and they have marketed and priced the product as a "luxury" item here in the states. It's fair to assume the vast majority of what you pay for Persil here in the USA is pure profit for the dealer or distributor.

o

The prices appeals to people who like to say "you get what you paid for" :-)

o

I would tend to agree with many comments above, except that visiting the EU many times I find that the price of products are not that much cheaper that in the US prices anymore. Large size Perwoll is around 9-12 Euros. Fabric softeners about 5 Euros. Have not seen the Persil and Perls. And given the current exchange rate, the price advantage in EU (at least for US consumers) is even less than it was even a few months ago.

I have no clue as to how much it cost to transport, but I'm sure it is very expensive to transport heavy boxes of a relatively "incidental" product which adds a huge amount to the cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here