Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littleja

LG Electric Dryers, no heat? Try this first...

littleja
18 years ago

I own an LG Electric Dryer model DLE0332W.

My story: Last weekend I notice my clothes were not drying, still cold and damp after about 20 minutes of use. Uhhh great! My warranty had already expired and this dryer was only 2 years old". I called LG Customer Service to schedule an appointment with a general serviceman in my area. He came out and took nearly every aspect of this machine apart which seam to me like he had no idea what he was doing. I heard banging!?! I thought to myself," where not building bird houses, this is a machine, screws and clips, no banging needed, please be gentle? He finishes up what he was doing about 45 mins later this was his conclusion...

Serviceman: The part you need is a heat regulator and its going to run you about $20 and the labor charge for that is between $140 and $160

Me: Gosh for a $20 part thatÂs a bit much for labor charge!

Serviceman: The part will take about a month to receive. ItÂll have to ship from Korea, it takes time getting here and LG doesn't rush things so don't be to impatient, they don't care.

Me: A whole Month!!!

Serviceman: Hey, I donÂt recommend doing this but if you canÂt wait that long I can rig it to work by bi-passing the regulator and it will work for the time being, just donÂt leave clothes in it while your not home, this part protects your dryer from overheating and could catch fire if your not monitoring it.

Me: No, letÂs not do that please!...

By this point I thought, "Thank you so much for your waste of my time, get out of my house, but instead I cordially get rid of him and thought to myself this is just outrageous! I did some online research and called LGÂs 800 number again and found out they have a parts dept. and their headquarters is located in the same state I live in. The part was in stock and could be delivered overnight if requested. The price of the Thermostat Regulator Assembly I needed was only $10.19. You can install this part in about 5 minutes without taking a single panel off. For this model just slide out the main exhaust tube from the rear of the dryer, "one screw holds that in." Look into the hole to the left and you will see the Heater Unit right within reach. There are two sensors attached to this unit each with a red and a white wire clamped to them. The Heat Regulator is the one on the right. That is the $10.19 part you should replace. This part looks to have two soldered attached "L" brackets that hold it back from the heater unit. LG stated this faults out to protect your heater element from burning up and it did just what it was designed to do. So donÂt get scammed like I almost did, try replacing this part first. It could save you time and money. The cause of all this wasnÂt the performance of LGÂs Dryer, it was my lack of ensuring the exhaust ducts were thoroughly free of lint buildup, this caused the dryer to overheat. I am not certain but I can imagine most LG Electric Dryer models may relate similar to this...

Comments (16)

• mark40511
    18 years ago

WOW..Thanks for the info.. I have a Duet pair for slightly over a year now....They both work but I have read where alot of people have had their dryers go out. Why are these newer dryers going out I wonder. It seems that I read alot about it after the owners have them a couple of years.

• pcnerdman
    17 years ago

I own LG DLE8377WM electric dryer and...

Thanks,

You saved my butt er. Thanksgiving weekend and no dryer�URGH! And it was my fault too. I was using the wrong kind of exhaust vent. The screen was behind the little door (flapper). It would fill up and kill the dryer. So I went to Home Depot and got the right one. Anyway, the part # for the safety thermostat on my LG DLE8377 was 6931EL3003D and it is called the "THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLY". LG is very afraid of homeowners getting into the electrics. So I told them I was a technician when I ordered the part. I found a helpful website. http://136.166.4.200/contents/Files/Laundry/ it has the complete service manuals for LG's dryers and washers. Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: service manuals

• dross
    17 years ago

I wonder if the original sevice tech (who I agree was a putz) got paid for his length and apparently-correct diagnostic work... - DR

• dross
    17 years ago

Urgh.. that should have been "...his length of service time..." :-( - DR

• fastpaws
    16 years ago

littleja & pcnerdman
    You are BOTH Steely-Eyed Missle Men!
    Same symptoms, and sure enough, the doggone sensor was the problem. The ducting was installed with foil tube (not by me!), which is inappropriate as we now know.
    Was starting Warranty call before I saw your post - you saved me some $$ and time!

• zone5_f16
    16 years ago

We own a LG DLE8377 and I think we have roller issues...shoe in dryer syndrome! pcnerdman mentioned service manuals, specifically for this dryer. I went to the website and was unable to get to the directory mentioned. Would anyone have the pdf and be kind enough to send it to me?

• mc_hudd
    16 years ago

zone5_f16~ Try doing a search in this forum for "Service Manual". I would guess that will come up w/ something. I also tried the link & couldn't get it to work. But, I remember finding the manuals to my w/d on here somewhere, just can't remember where... Anyway, the search should help you.

• michcope
    16 years ago

i have this same model DLE0332W and i have replaced that part 3 times the first time it work one load the second time it work for 1 month and the third time it work one load please help

• ddozier234
    14 years ago

Anyone know the part number for the "Thermostat Regulator Assembly" for the DLE0332W.

• Ratanlal_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have the same problem. Guess I will call LG tomorrow and order the thermostat.

• plmoore
    11 years ago

littleja your post saved me big bucks. My dryer had the same problem and after reading your post I repaired it for $11.58 and 20 minutes of my time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

• divecaribbean
    8 years ago

I have the LG DLG2251W and this has been an ongoing problem. They sent me a brand new dryer - had a repair guy come out and he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't dry my clothes. He replaced the motherboard. Came back a second time because it still wouldn't dry my clothes (maybe 50% of the time it would work), and he couldn't figure it out again. So they gave me a brand new dryer. Same problem. All my ducts are brand new. There are no obstructions. THIS IS AN LG DESIGN FLAW.

Google "lg dryer spins but no heat" on you tube and the guy explains how to reset the overheat sensor / safety sensor. You probably don't need a new thermostat.

I can't believe I have to take apart my machine to find a safety sensor to reset it every time I have this problem (I have yet to figure out where it can be located on my model)... on a $1,000.00 machine. I have a cottage with a $300 Kenmore dryer. Guess how many problems I have with that machine? Nada. None. Zilch. Wanna throw a dry piece of clothing in your LG dryer for a few minutes to get the wrinkles out? hahahaha so funny, think again. Sensor or manual setting, heat does not work.

LG seriously needs to fix this problem. I have no problem with their washing machines, but I would never buy an LG dryer again. A waste of money when you consider the HOURS I spend attempting to dry a single load of laundry. What a waste of electricity (on a gas dryer) and money down the drain on a piece of garbage.

I can only imagine how much $$ repair guys are making off of these machines that have an obvious design flaw.

Avoid LG dryers AT ALL COSTS. The problem isn't specific to any model, it's all their dryers.

• randyamos
    8 years ago

We have an LG DLEX2501 electric dryer That would run fine but no heat, just cool air. It was warm for one load and then the next load no heat from then on. After reading several forums and a couple YouTube videos and then finally finding this page, I hoped it was either the thermal fuse or the hi limit thermostat (I was really hoping it wasn't the heater element) so I ordered both fuses online (about $26 - if it wasn't one I didn't want to wait for another part to get to me) and did just what was described above sliding out the exhaust tube and reached in there and replaced the heat regulator (thermal fuse) and turns out that was the issue. Dryer heats up fine now and as stated no need to take apart the dryer to replace even though your working blind trying to screw it back in. It amazes me the back panel doesn't just come off to get back there! One video I watched on how to replace that fuse was to go in through the top and remove the barrel & I was thinking that was ridiculous! Ah well, the other way worked even tho hard to get to.

• April Fierro Suk
    8 years ago

I had to sign up and comment because YOU ROCK for posting this.

My LG dryer is 12 years old and has never given me any issues before. I have an LG TROMM DLE2512W, and outside of cleaning the build up from the dryer sheets of the sensor once in a while, it has always been a great machine and given me no issues.

It stopped getting hot on Saturday, so I started looking around on the internet for causes and stumbled upon this post which is now more than 10 years old.

I ordered three parts from repairclinic.com, the thermostat, High Limit Thermostat, and Thermal Fuse for a whopping $26 (inc. shipping). I watched the video on how to change them out and said screw that. Exactly as you posted, I removed ONE screw from the back, removed the exhaust tube, and there they were. It took me about 20 minutes (mostly trying to get the right screwdriver and fit my hands in there) to change out the High Limit Thermostat. Once done, I plugged it back in and ran it for a few minutes.. still no heat. Took the tube back out, and replaced the thermal fuse. Plugged it back in and ran it, and WOOHOO we had heat. It took me longer to move the dryer out from against the wall and back in again than it did to change those two parts. For a $10 part and less than an hour of out my day, my 12 year old dryer is working perfectly again.

Thank you!!!!!

• Melissa Berry
    7 years ago

I have the lg tromm dle2514w. Already replaced the heating element and still not heating.....any suggestions on what to do next? This thing is making me crazy.