Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ventless Washer/Dryer Combo Recommendations Needed

Posted by varaonaid (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 1:47

Hello,

We're about to move into an apartment without washer/dryer hookups and the thought of going to a laundromat is more than I can take. :)

We used to have an Equator EZ1500 and it worked well for about 1.5 years, then it wouldn't dry. We tried to have it serviced and no one could get parts from the company or could service it. So we ended up with a GE frontload washer/dryer that's side by side or stackable.

It seems a lot has changed since we owned the EZ1500 in the ventless washer/dryer combo market and LG has really taken the lead. I hear several people don't like LG on these forums but the reviews for the all in one units seem to be good. Seems like the alternatives are Haier or ???. Any suggestions on where to start looking? Any recommendations on brand or model number. These forums were invaluable when I first got into the all in one system...and I still say they're responsible for turning me into somewhat of a "laundromaniac". A title I bear proudly. :)

Any advice would be uber appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ventless Washer/Dryer Combo Recommendations Needed

LG's WM3987 is the only full-size (27"w) combo W/D sold in the U.S.; fortunately it's a good one, (4.2 cu.ft. capacity, 1200 RPM spin, heats water up to 158F, has separate prewash/main wash/fabric softener/bleach dispensers). Several manufacturers sell shallower 24"w washer/dryers, but LG's WM3455 is probably the best, although it's rather pricey. It has 2.7 cu.ft. capacity, 1300 rpm spin, heats water to 158F, though lacks a separate bleach compartment. Looks to have a big door opening for a compact washer, though I haven't seen one IRL.

Both of these run on 120V/15A, which means slow water heating and even slower drying, but also that it will plug into your apartment's nearby outlet if it isn't wired for 240V and may be advantageous if you're not allowed to add a 240V circuit.

Fagor's FAS 3612 is a considerably less expensive choice, and faster because it runs on 240v power.

Asko seems to have dropped their combo W/D, and the Eurotech clone thereof isn't sold anymore either. These had a poor rep for reliability anyway; they were made by a different branch of the company than other Asko laundry machines.

Avoid anything that doesn't heat the wash water.

o
RE: Ventless Washer/Dryer Combo Recommendations Needed

Thanks so much for the info. It's sad that the options for washer/dryer combos have gotten less rather than more choice. However, I was most interested in one of the two LG's anyway so it was REALLY encouraging to hear that they are pretty good. As I said, I had an equator before but it died and service was impossible so I'm a little leery of smaller, unknown brands. I haven't been able to get in to measure yet, but I'm really hoping the larger LG will fit. The price seems better for what you get and the idea of a large drum would be wonderful. Keeping fingers crossed...

Thanks again for the info!
Rae

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here