Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseluv

Downey Fabric Softner - NOT April Fresh Anymore?

roseluv
16 years ago

Hello,

A question for those of you who use Ultra Downey - April Fresh Scent. Have you noticed a change in fragrance?

I've been using the same brand and fragrance for years. I recently bought a 103 Oz. bottle from Wal-Mart. The fragrance is very different. Laundered clothing now smells like rancid Sweet Tart candies. Went to Target to buy another bottle with a different code on the cap thinking maybe I just got a bad batch from Wal-Mart. Nope, clothes came out with the same acrid smell. This new fragrance is making me sneeze alot too.

I hope it's just a bad batch delivered to my city. Here's the code as written on top of the pink bottle cap.

C20I17

I hope to hear that some of you in other parts of the country still have the good Downey!

Thanks!

Comments (55)

• sparky823
    16 years ago

I have some Tide HE Free liquid and Yes I noticed it wasn't cleaning as well since it is the 2x. You would think it would be better since it is more concentrated. I called P&G and the girl told me to "just use more" for better cleaning. She said "they have made some changes to the formula", "but it should do fine by adding more". She also sent me 3-$5 off coupons for MORE Tide. I am thinking if this isn't cleaning why do I want more.. call and tell them and get you some coupons if you are going to continue with Tide.

• cynic
    16 years ago

"About the Tide, did the dosing instructions change or are they still recommending the same amount?"

I just got a deal on some Tide and what used to be a 100 oz bottle for 32 loads is now a 50 oz bottle to do 32 loads. The cap is shorter. I haven't measured out exactly, but I did try with some water the line 2 in each and it took 2 fills to fill the 1x. I have some info from a handout I got that describes some of the changes. I don't have it in front of me, but I recall it saying that they're using different enzymes that were supposed to clean better. I haven't tried out the 2x yet - still have a bottle of 1x but I might try it out and see. I really liked the free & clear stuff, and I noticed much better cleaning than with the others I've been using.

I was thinking about picking up some Downy Free & Clear for the occasional load with poly mix in them. Opened it up and took a whif and WHEW! Was that a smell that could choke ya! I picked up a gallon of vinegar instead.

It just hit me that I used to buy the Downy unscented and I don't recall a stench like that. I was reading other threads where people said the F&C Downy was much thinner than the other, but this sure wasn't. Not as thick as the stuff I was buying 10 years ago, but about the same as the regular stuff.

• MiMi
    16 years ago

Well. .I am sure glad that someone else noticed Tide isn't working as good anymore..I have never thought the more concentrated detergents were "more concentrated", just less product for the same amount of money. Also, on the liquids you just about have to get some magnifying glasses on to see the lines inside the BIG lids. Tide does make their lid clear so you can see the lines pretty good, so does liquid Gain but most others don't and I know they do that so we can't see the lines and will use more, just fill er up so to speak. On the Gain fabric softner, regular scent that is, I dilute it in half and it works just as good. The smell is nice and fresh, not overpowering or sweet. Gosh, why is all this stuff such big issues anymore? When I first got married, back in 1972, all I bought was detergent and bleach for whites, no additives like Biz, etc. .the detergent got clothes clean period! Remember those huge boxes it came in? Now, we spend more, get less and the quality? It just isn't there anymore. .Ok. .I'll get down off the soap box now. .haha Debbie.

• roseluv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to call Proctor & Gamble to see what they say. I really hope it's just an odd batch and not a permanent fragrance change.

• elbits
    16 years ago

Sears detergent is on sale right now. All those plastic bottles are not good for the enviorment and these companies are telling us to buy concentrated liquids. My toploader stinks because of it. No more liquids for me!

• justjustin
    16 years ago

To me it smells like rotten cotton candy. I bought a bottle the other day to go with some April Fresh Tide w/a Touch of Downey. Love the Tide w/Downey but I'll stick with Snuggle Blue Sparkle for my softener.

Justin

• roseluv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rotten cotton candy! What a great description. I bought 2 different bottles within 2 weeks. The first bottle was from Wal-Mart. The second bottle was from Target. The bottle from Target had a different batch code on the cap. Both smell like rancid, sugary candy not the April Fresh from before.

• laundryman
    16 years ago

I agree with you all. What happend to the detergents and softners from the "70's"? They cleaned realy well and the softners worked great with a great scent that didn't smell "sour" or "bad cotton candy". God I miss Sta-puf--original tide, cheer, wisk, and too many others to mention. I switched over to sears detergent for the reasons you all mention above. I do miss having a little bit of scent on my clothes, but I don't want to wear stuff that "reeks" like todays stuff does

• nicholas25
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm really glad I found this post and found someone else who has noticed that Downy has changed, and not for the best. I also thought I had just bought a bad batch so I bought another bottle and it was fine. Then I bought another and it was bad. I've been using Downy ultra liquid for years and love the way it makes my clothes smell.

Well, I called Downy and I did not receive the type of service that is mentioned here at all. If it were not for the first lady I talked to actually being honest, I would never have found out what is going on. It was almost like it was top secret and they weren't supposed to tell anything. I had to call back several times and each time I got a different employee. None of the other ones would have told me the truth.

Downy changed in February of 2008. They said that it now has the microbeads like the wrinkle free fabric softeners, which I never used. I told them it smelled rotten and was a horrible smell, and definitely noticable. I then asked if others had complained and they said they couldn't give out that information. I then told them I would never be buying it again until they changed back.

The really sneaky thing is that they have not made an announcement or told consumers at all. How will we know if they do change back? One thing I did find out at least is how to tell if you have the new disgusting bottle of Downy. If the number on the top starts with 8 then it's the new batch. If it begins with 7 then most likely it is the old version. I am still finding some old versions and stocking up.

We need to really start calling and I hope more people will notice that they've ruined their product. They should fire whoever tested this stuff and thought that it smelled like the product we are used to.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

The Downy web site discusses micro-beads. It is mentioned under the new Downy Simple Pleasures Radiance Collection. I think it says that this micro-bead or pearl scent technology releases scent every time you move so you will get an unexpected burst of fragrance.

I tried the one scent I thought I could stand and they are right. Four days after an item is washed you wear it, and this scent gets in your face all day long. I spent one entire week with this scent all around and I just can't stand to smell it anymore. The web site is focused on providing a scent experience and frankly I would rather just have soft clothes and not have 24 hours of artificial scent under my nose.

Instead of scents I would like P&G to concentrate on formulating a He detergent that can rinse completely in low water fill energy star machines. Of course that would take research, cost money, and is harder to do than putting a different scent into a fabric softener formulation that has not changed in years. Take a look at the site; there is room for more scents to be added.

How does wearing micro-beads that provide a chemical scent on every inch of clothing, every inch of your body, impact your health?

Very disappointing.

• jrdown
    15 years ago

Nicholas25 ~

Thanks, so much, for telling us how to locate a "good" batch of Downy. Although I rarely use fabric softener that April Fresh Downy was my favorite, hands down. I have noticed the change and thought it smelled like rotten cotton candy. Yuck!

Does the number thing work for the box of refill Downy too?

Robyn

• nicholas25
    15 years ago

I guess I just got the right person to admit that it had changed, and why. When I called and told her my problem, she actually had to put me on hold for awhile, either to consult with someone or to find out what was going on. I just don't understand why they didn't tell consumers that the Downy Ultra April Fresh was changing in Feb. 08. and that it had something to do with adding the microbeads.

The refill boxes should be the same as far as going by the number on top. The only thing is that you can't smell before you buy. I don't always trust the numbers so I can now tell by opening and smelling the bottle. I have to admit that I did open a refill box once just to see if there was a difference, and they do go by the numbers as well.

I just emailed P&G about the change and they sent a mass email type response and said they would inform their team, lol.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

It's all about having a lasting scent, not softeness so expect all of the downy products to change.

• hummerwish
    15 years ago

I don't use fabric softeners! The chemicals in those as well as in fabric sheets are lethal! Instead, I add 1/4 cup vinegar to the rinse. My washing does not smell like vinegar but smells fresh and clean and they come out of dryer soft and static free as well.

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

I think what must have happened to the detergents and softners from the '70s is that phosphates were removed to help the environment. I know I can't use them today because we have a septic tank.

Don't know much about Downy; haven't used it in more than a year. I switched to Snuggle because it's so much cheaper (a huge container w/a spout is less than $10), and I like it just fine.

• Cyberspacer
    15 years ago

I don't think Downy has been "April Fresh" for years and years. I remember really enjoying the scent when I was a kid in the 70s, but it seems the scent changed when Downy was changed to the super concentrated/ultra versions.

Oh, well...

• dualref
    15 years ago

I checked our local Walmart,(Houston, TX) and the only Downy they had with a code beginning with a "7" was Downy Free and Clear.
    I sniffed the other variations and while they all smelled differently, they all had that "Sour Sweet Tart" backround odor. The code "7" Free & Clear just smelled like a freshly painted room.
    Personally we just use Sauvetel "Baby Fresh" regular stength at 1/2 the recommended dose. It works just fine for us. But be very careful of the Sauvitel 2x or 3X formulations. Those are deadly!

• sshrivastava
    15 years ago

I think it's hilarious that FS manufacturers are giving us what they THINK we want, and it's clear from the above posts that they have no idea what we want! Anything that is formulated to stick to your clothing and present a "burst" of scent every time the fabric moves can't be good for your skin or your nose!

When I was younger I used to love the smell of fabric softener -- in my mind at the time, it meant that my clothes were clean. Perhaps I needed to be fooled into thinking my clothes were clean after using the laundromat at my apartment complex. Now that I have a machine that actually does what it's supposed to do, and now that I've stopped using scented fabric softeners, I know the true meaning of clean.

You don't need artificial scents to make your clothes smell fresh. Your clothes automatically smell fresh if they are properly laundered! :)

• thellmer
    15 years ago

I love "Mexican" Downy. We have numerous Mexican stores around town who sell Downy in tall slender bottles that have all Spanish language labels on them and say in fine print on the back "Not for sale or import in the USA". Much of the cleanser stuff in these stores say that. I assume they probably still contain phosphates as those are still legal in Mexico. I guess they go "home" and load up trucks of stuff and bring it back to sell it here as we have grown to have a large Hispanic population here in Arkansas. I do know this Downy smells and feels the same as Downy of the 60's/70's - much softer than most "made for America" fabric softners from Walmart. I usually buy it by the case when they have it.

• thellmer
    15 years ago

Oh and I meant to add that this appars to be real Downy - has the Proctor and Gamble company info and same symbols and logo - just all in Spanish. Says made in Mexico though.

• eiluj
    13 years ago

I went to Target today to see if I could find an older April Fresh, or the Target brand of April Fresh...I could not find either. I would have bought the Target brand, but they had it in other scents, not April Fresh. Then I smelled the one called Free, but it had a smell and it wasn't good. I thought maybe I could use free and clear to get the stench of the New April Fresh out of my clothes.
    I had called Downy a couple weeks ago and explained how upsetting it is to have something you like taken away and it would be nice if they could have given us a choice...ORIGINAL APRIL FRESH AND THE "NEW" with those pearls. Didn't really get an answer, but then she asked me if I wanted a coupon, and I said no, I have no intention on buying it again and I want the smell out of my clothes, so she said to try washing them and use the free and clear, and I thought, ok, so now I have a coupon for free and clear, but it has a smell....odd...
    Why was our choice taken away completely and why can't we get an answer?

• eiluj
    13 years ago

why won't they answer us? So many people hate the new smells.

• eiluj
    13 years ago

they aren't helpful at all when you call. They just suggest that you try using things you don't want...The woman I talked to said, Oh, we have many other scents to choose from, and we have Downy Free, and dryer sheets...I can send you a coupon...I told her that I don't use other scents or dryer sheets, or Downy Free...I use one product, and have for many years, and I don't want a coupon.
    Plus, they have no plans on bringing back the old April Fresh. There are a lot of things I'd like to write on their website, but they would censor me.
    All the unhappy customers should wash an article of clothing they won't use anymore with the new scent pearls and all send them to the warehouse of Proctor and Gamble, so they could be bombarded in the stench of the scent they shoved down our throats. The smell is very offensive and can choke you...I'm telling you, even if you scratch your shoulder and the shirt was rinsed in the new downy, it gives off that terrible smell of rotten bubble gum or cotton candy...
    I can't believe they just went and took away so many years of nice memories.

• eiluj
    13 years ago

I found another fabric softener that is NOT PROCTOR AND GAMBLE, and I'm using it. It's not like the old April Fresh, but it has a light scent and softens the clothes. Purex by Henkel...I will NOT use Proctor and Gamble products again, unless they change the April Fresh back to the way it was.
    The new Downy April Fresh scent is so disgusting that I had to rewash all my clothes several times to get the stench out of them

• xhappyx
    13 years ago

I just called Downy @ 1-800-688-7638 to inform them what a big mistake they made with changing Downy April Fresh. The new April Fresh with the scent beads is horrid! I was getting a stuffed up nose at night from washing my sheets with it. The new smell is very sweet, and cotton candy is a good background description from the posts above. It is the scent of flowers and candy combined and who wants to smell like that?

Well... They are sending me a refund and a postage paid envelope to send back the bottle that I hate to them. From searching the web, most people hate the new formula.

I have read other places that the Costco Kirkland softener is a good substitute along with the Target brand. Others have said that the Snuggle Blue Sparkle is a good substitute. From looking at the Downy website, over 700 complaints to 10 praises. They have been giving everyone a canned response to try another one of their scents (Still with those horrid scent beads) or the unscented type. I like a soft scent and if I wanted unscented I would be using one of those crunchy brands from Trader Joes.

Anyhoo... After us using Downy April Fresh for over 46 years and counting, we will be looking for a new fabric softener. I think if people switch to a competitors brand and quit buying Downy all together they might get the hint and stop making those nasty scent beads and hopefully switch the scent back to what it was.

This whole thing reminds me of the "New Coke"

If it isn't broke, don't fix it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Downy reviews on their site for April Fresh.

• richins_surewest_net
    13 years ago

PLEASE HELP, Please write and complain to the CEO of P&G and tell him that we the people who have been buying ORIGINAL APRIL FRESH DOWNY, to change it back! New Ultra Downy stinks and the smell is way to strong, we dont want new and so-called improved. We want the April Fresh Downy we have all grown up with. People we must unite and write the company: together we can get it back.
    PLEASE write to the CEO of P&G to get Original April Fresh Downy BACK!
    Mr. Bob McDonald
    Chairman of the Board,
    President and the Chief Executive Officer,
    Procter & Gamble Companyâ¨
    Central Building, 1st Floorâ¨
    1 P&G Plazaâ¨
    Cincinnati, OH 45202
    It is the ONLY way they will bring back the Original April Fresh Downy if enough people complain! And dont let them tell you to use less, it doesnt work, it is NOT the same scent.

• santucci4_sympatico_ca
    13 years ago

The decision to change the April Fresh formula reminds of the Coca-Cola fiasco in the 80's when they tried to change the Coca-Cola formula - their sales dropped like crazy and guess what happened? Coca-Cola was forced to bring back the old formula and renamed it Coca-Cola Classic. I hope this happens with Downey where they will be forced to bring back the Original April Fresh scent and fire the ''genius'' who came up with the idea to change the formula in the first place. Scent of Pearls is the most discusting smell - smells like a mixture of petroleum and bubble gum - Yikes!!!!

BRING BACK APRIL FRESH
    an unsatisfied customer

Micheline Santucci

• xhappyx
    13 years ago

I purchased a bottle of the Snuggle Blue Sparkle and it has been an excellent replacement for the April Fresh Downy. The smell is very close to the old April Fresh Downy when your clothes come out of the dryer. I think it might even be a little cheaper on the pocketbook than downy was. For anyone looking for a replacement, this is working well in my household.

• denisep729_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Whew!! I thought I was the ONLY ONE who thought the new scent pearls April Fresh downey smelled HORRIBLE!! So glad to know I'm not the only one! You'd better believe I'll be writing the P&G President, along with sending an email on their site. I'll be trying the alternative brands (Target, Kirkland) along with Snuggle Blue Sparkle. I just want my old Downey back!

• mgosha1125_charter_net
    13 years ago

I was so disappointed in the "new" scent, too! How disgusting! I found that the Kmart brand, American Fare, Spring Fresh scent, is very close to the original scent of April Fresh Downy. Hope others try this, too! I sure hope they change the scent of original April Fresh back to what it used to be! What a mistake!

• catwallpyle_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am beyond disappointed in the "new" April Fresh scent. There aren't many scents that don't give me a headache! It was such a classic that held many memories for me. I hope they bring it back. Has anyone heard of any plans to do so?

• LittleWing1961
    13 years ago

Downy has reformulated it's scent and the stench is unbearable... I have had to wash things multiple times to try and remove the overwhelming perfume. Apparently it's locked onto my clothes with a layer of animal fat and all these chemicals to keep the fat in a liquid state and from rotting at room temperature. GROSS.

What's Inside � Downy Coats Briefs With Horse Fat

..."So much animal fat in one place serves as a perfect medium for microbes. Without powerful antimicrobials like isothiazolones, April Fresh would quickly turn into August Rancid."

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-12/st_whatsinside

• chrisnsmart_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I agree w/Catherine. Downey was what Mom used, and I have as well for over 30 years. THAT was fresh sheet night. No more! In a day & age w/so many allergies & sensitivities one would think Proctor & Gamble would have more sense. It's so good to find so many others who agree. What can we do??

• LadyRose54
    13 years ago

Sadly, I, too, hate the reformulated April Fresh Downey. It clings to fabrics; I can't wait to find a lightly scented replacement. P&G is assuming that everyone likes cloyingly sweet smells, and ignoring that there is an entire generation of baby boomers who still love the original April Fresh scent. I tolerated the change to the thicker, smellier formula, but this latest change is too much! I'm not going to buy Downey unless and until they bring back the original April Fresh, which was so delightful and clean smelling!

• DeeDah11
    11 years ago

Hello,
    If you live in an area with Meijer grocery stores...the Meijer brand fabric softener Spring Fresh fragrance smells almost identical to the way Downey April Fresh smelled before they changed it. I actually like doing laundry again...smells like it did when I was young!

• d_quashen2012
    6 years ago

I ran across the same thing. I was just wondering if someone might have redeveloped the original formula.

• Jenny
    6 years ago

d_quashen2012 I am still in withdraws from losing the wonderful original scent of April Fresh Downy. Unfortunately, I have not found anything that comes close....I refuse to buy any of the new downy products that to me are completely hideous. I keep hoping that maybe someday our wonderful Vintage April Fresh will return!

• eiluj
    6 years ago

Proctor and Gamble doesn't care. They tell you stupid things like use less....April Fresh does not smell good anymore....they took away our choice

• HU-232044176
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Im from georgia and the scent is defidefinitely not the same NOW in 2022 i thought maybe I had a bad batch as well. until i went to a store an smelled it there same old stank smell. ive used april fresh for over 18 years now I habe tk say good buy to downy. and Gain laundry detergent is different as well.

• eiluj
    2 years ago

I won't buy it anymore. Using less doesn't help and the smell won't even wash out. I used to love April Fresh, but it is no longer April Fresh

• HU-232044176
    2 years ago

It sure dont help. it had my washing machine smelling. I started using the downy free and gentle. it doest have a scent but at least my towels will be soft. well Im hoping so anyway. but i do miss that april fresh scent.

• HU-53232115
    11 months ago

I have used Downey for many years and yes, there is a difference. Ibelieve Downey has change its formula to force the sale of its other products such as "Unstoppable" "Rinse," etc. I called Downey; they sent me a $15 prepaid Mastercard. I will use it to try a competitor. CALL DOWNEY. Claim your $15.

• eiluj
    11 months ago

they'll never change it back. I'm so disappointed

• dadoes
    11 months ago

I haven't used Downy in years since they discontinued the Downy Advanced with Wrinkle Guard product. Switched to Snuggle, Exhilarations Lavender & Vanilla Orchid is my preference. I don't use softener on everything. Typically shirts, sheets, sometimes jeans. I tried a bottle of the current Downy Wrinkle Guard, which should be similar to Downy Advanced. It turned into a thick gloop that wouldn't pour out of the bottle. Mixed the remainder with equal water, didn't help, it's still gloopy and resists dissolving completely even in hot water. Ick.

• HU-218302630
    9 months ago

The new Downey is AWFUL. I contacted the maker and never got a reply. I can only think this HUGE mistake has something to do with GREED.

• armjim
    9 months ago

I used Downy for decades without any issues. Then a few years ago I learned about how waxy it is and more likely to cause problems with a washer, particularly if the user does not use the proper amount and do routine hot washes. I switched to Snuggle and was happy with the scent and felt like I was not going to ruin my machine. I currently do not use FS. My intention is to do as dadoes does when we invest in new towels-occasionally use Snuggle. It is a real shame that with all of the formulation changes in detergents and additives that you have to approach doing laundry as a scientist rather than as a homeowner.

• eiluj
    9 months ago

they took the choice away. We can't get our original April Fresh anymore

• G L
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I remember when Downey used to make your clothes smell good. Now they have taken that away no doubt so they can sell you scent beads. Skimflation is the word for it. It's all about giving people less for their money or making them spend more money for the same results. It's disgusting corporate greed.

• eiluj
    2 months ago

They took away our choice is what they did !!!