Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mieleforme

Miele T9822 Dryer (45 Min Warm = Burn Your Ass Hot)

mieleforme
14 years ago

I used the 45 min warm drying cycle with delicate selected on a medium size comforter yesterday. I pulled it out mid cycle and to my surprise the comforter was so hot I couldnÂt even touch it. ItÂs a mid size comforter with plenty of room to tumble, I couldnÂt believe how hot it was. I have never felt anything that hot before come out of the dryer end of cycle or mid way. ItÂs an old comforter so I tried it again after it cooled just to test, same thing. Keep in mind the delicate option was selected both times. What the hell Miele, what up with that? Anyone else have this happen?

Comments (16)

• larsi_gw
    14 years ago

This is why I HATE gas dryers. I had the first generation T9820 Miele gas dryer. It either left clothes too damp, or fried to a crisp. It has always been my belief, that gas dryers are not as consistent and regulated as an open flamed, gas dryer. Just think about it....you are drying your clothes with an open fire!!!

Oddly, I use the gentle setting on my T9800 electric dryer, and it still seems hotter than it should, but nowhere as near as the inferno in my old Miele gas dryer. Sorry. Call Miele, and see if they can re-program your unit. Good Luck!

• somonica
    14 years ago

" Keep in mind the delicate option was selected both times. "

Can you run "delicate" and " 45 min warm drying cycle " at the same time? not from what I can see in the manual...

or do you mean "gentle" option on "45 min warm" cycle?

have you try "delicate" cycle with "gentle" option on?

I'm looking for a T9800 or T9802 dryer to replace my 16 years old Whirlpool without a humidity sensor..

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are correct it was the Gentle option. Yes I have tried all the cycles and they work great, low temps, easy on clothes. However, this timed cycle is way hot. I don't get it.

larsi

I know a controlled fire sounds harsh but gas dryers do work well. This one does on the moisture controlled cycles but the timed cycle, well I'm not sure???

• somonica
    14 years ago

Thank you for your info mieleforme...

good to know all sensor control cycles work well... :)

have you use your dryer to dry those down items?

they need timed (1hr in my current Whirlpool)low heat with tennis balls to dry correctly...

thank! :)

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I always try to use the sensor cycles on everything but occasionally a big comforter wont dry completely (center or folds may be damp) so I will re distribute the item and put it on the 45 min warm. I would like to put it on another sensor cycle but often the dryer thinks the item is too dry and shuts down, beeping until you open the door. So, even though an item isnÂt as dry as youÂd like, the dryer may think it is and wonÂt run unless itÂs a timed cycle. What I donÂt like about the dryer, you only have 45 min warm and 15 cool. It should be selectable in 5 min increments and temperature adjustable. One of the tumble paddles in the dryer (the metal one) is actually the moisture monitor. If whatever is touching that is dry your screwed, it thinks the entire load is dry. For normal laundry it is effective, for items that donÂt get that kind of maneuverability like comforters itÂs not so great. I need to call Miele because there are a few other things I donÂt understand. If 45 min warm with the gentle option selected can get that hot, how hot will it get if I select the turbo option?

One other thing IÂm not in love with is the dryer filter. It allows a lot of lint to escape around the edges and along the bottom. ItÂs a pain to clean out of the filter compartment and I am expecting my vent line to pre maturely plug. I think IÂm going to modify this myself with some gasket material. As much as I DO LIKE the washer and dryer they are not perfect.

• Cyberspacer
    14 years ago

Not used often but the single option of a 45 minute heated cycle on the creme de la creme of laundry machines is.... well..... just stupid. There really should be multiple timed options in cases where you need just a few extra minutes of drying. The sensor cycles don't work once the load is mostly dry, so a timed cycle is necessary. If you plan on timing it yourself but get distracted, you end up frying your clothes (has happened to me a few times). What's up with that? These are "fabric care" systems but they seem to miss the boat on this minor but important detail. Maybe in future generations will see Miele address this. Otherwise, get your minute timer out.

• gates1
    14 years ago

I have owned several gas dryers, all with moisture control sensors. Not once have I had an issue with clothes getting fried or baked in them. For me and where I live, it is cheaper to use a gas model VS an electric one and faster drying time also.

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

What I told by a Miele tech is that the 45 Min Warm cycle is to be used with the supply rack situated in the dryer and items residing in said rack.
    One other thing I'm not in love with is the dryer filter. It allows a lot of lint to escape around the edges and along the bottom. It's a pain to clean out of the filter compartment and I am expecting my vent line to pre maturely plug. I think I'm going to modify this myself with some gasket material.This would not be a good idea as that area is a designate failsafe for someone who forgets to clean their lint screen thereby causing the lint screen to clog. Lint will gather and literally from what looks like a felt gasket, but will be blown out should the screen become too clogged.

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

fahrenheit 451

I understand the concern. However, since this dryer has a deferential pressure monitor for the filter/ vent line I'm not worried about that. Not only am I very good about cleaning the filter but the dryer will alarm you if it thinks the vent line is restricted. The idea of engineering a fail-safe into the filter makes perfect sense. But, I get lint passing around the filter on a single load with a clean filter. It errors too much on the side of caution and in my opinion just passes the potential problem on downstream but letting lint pass into my exhaust line.

• accgw
    14 years ago

The sole purpose of the timed setting is to disable the moisture sensor and keep the dryer going despite clothes sensing as dry. The moisture sensor's job (that thing you just disabled by putting it on a timed setting) is to keep your clothes from getting too hot once they are dry. So when you dry anything under the timed setting, it will always get hot unless you happen to remove it at just the right time. Ask anyone with who has a dryer without a moisture sensor: over-dried clothes get hot.

Sure, Miele could offer different timed settings other than 45 minutes, but other than that this isn't a machine fault. It's just how dryers work.

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(that thing you just disabled by putting it on a timed setting)

It was my understanding that moisture monitors only controlled the length of the cycle bringing it to an end when the clothing was as dry as selected by the user through the given program. Temperature should be regulated independently should it not? After all the turbo and gentle options are selectable during the 45 min warm program. According to Miele, "Turbo" raises the temperature from warm and "gentle" lowers it. Warm should be warm, I donÂt care how dry or wet the load is. Temperature should be regulated regardless of moisture levels and Im almost certain it is. My last dryer had timed cycles and this was never a problem.

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

Face it, the W 98XX series of dryers has some lousy design features. Why do we need a glass portal when I much prefer venting through the door versus at the edge of the tub where items can cover the vent entirely? Useless design that even Miele techs say is useless (until someone from Miele reads this and issues a tech memo stating not to say it's useless). The W 98XX needs the same configurable screen as the W 484X has to allow for user programming.

Large items, such as comforters, blankets, or sheets sometimes require they be removed, separated, and then thrown-in again to get the best uniform dryness, but this only makes sense in a confined drum space.

• sshrivastava
    14 years ago

I disagree. I like that the dryer has a glass portal. I like to be able to see what's going on. I also like that the portal doors are matching and the two units look cohesive as a pair. I don't have an issue with the lint screen where it is or how it works. I clean the filter after every load, so I don't anticipate clogging issues.

In the 90 days I've had the machines, I've never had anything block the lint filter intake. My Asko dryer had a digital display which allowed me to program options such as level of dryness, cool down period, buzzer on/off, high/low heat, etc. But all of these same options are available on the T98XX as it is currently designed except for the cool down period. That can be programmed using the service menu if it's that important. I found my Asko dryer to be unnecessarily complicated.

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

sshrivastava,

In the little over two years, we have had units our T9820 has undergone two different Miele designed lint screens (there are actually three different design that have gone into this model); numerous firmware updatesÃuntil the final recall firmware update; felt drum gasket (updated design by Miele); updated Miele fan design. Look at the European closest model to ours and you will see not a glass portal on the dryer; theirs has the vent in the door to better direct airflow.

Dry like size items (e.g. wash clothes or dish towels) and see whether they do not block the lint filter drum venting holes. This dryer likes large loads with multiple sized items versus similar sized itemsÃunless they are large items.

I appreciate the quality-build of Miele, but I feel, even with the second generation of these models, that a third generation will place Miele where they wanted to be with this model; the same holds true for the washer. Are my wife and I unhappy that we purchase these units? No, but the trip has had some bumps along the way, and I do not mind working with Miele techs to help resolve issues. However, it does take time and the opportunity cost of that time needs to have some accountability.

Would we purchase Miele again? Yes, but we will also consider Asko and Speed Queen.

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

While this dryer is not perfect I do want to say I like it a lot. Yes the lint filter needs a tighter fit, yes it could use the program screen as the W4842 does for more options, and yes the whole door filter setup works better (I do like the glass;)) but overall it is well built and the majority of the cycles pamper laundry and work flawlessly.IÂm hoping pc updates in the future will address this supper hot time dry issue I have.