Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreww_2009

New 24' LG: condensing dryer only!?

14 years ago

When I was looking earlier, LG Canada had only the WM1333HW/DLEV833W pair in 24". Meanwhile LG US had the WM1355HW washer.

The obvious difference (there may be others) was that the 1333 is 2.34ft^3 and the 1355 is 2.7ft^3. For someone concerned about the compromise of going to such a small size (vs. 3.5-4.5ft^3 in 27" machines) this difference seems significant (and coincidentally, the Miele W1612 appears to fall in the middle, so the 1333 is "even smaller" than a Miele and the 1355 is "not as small").

Now LG Canada lists the 1355. No suggested retail and it's not on anyone's (Sears, Future Shop, etc.) site, so I called LG Canada for info, specifically if there's a suggested retail and if the machine is being sold here yet, or if it's still on the boat. The results were less than useful, i.e. I knew as much after the call as I did before.

I'm surprised to find the dryer (855) is condensing only! (Both US and Canada sites). Perhaps LG has found that NA purchasers of the small machines are happy with the non-vented solution, but it seems like too great a compromise for me.

Does anyone have experience with a condensing dryer and find it sufficiently non-inconvenient that it's worth installing even when there's a vent available? And is it possible I'm wrong, that either the 855 or some other dryer is available to sit on the 1355 washer and is vented?

Thanks!

=aw

[BTW, I check the "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." box and never get notices; does that feature work for anyone or is it just broken for me? =aw]

Comments (6)

• 14 years ago

From my own experience w/condensing dryer.
    I have w/d combo-all in one , it takes 5 kilos of dry laundry for washing- 1.75 cf.
    I like condensing drying. It made my clothes soft and smelling really good. Like it was drying in the sunshine. But it takes long time. The size of the dryer needs to by twice of the washer.For mine washer it would have to be about 3.5.
    My dryer,which I don't use anymore, takes water in for drying and drains it out in drain. It is not expensive, it just uses little extra water. But it is noisy since the pump is draining the water out. Regular dryer is very quiet. But I know there are several different types so I would research that if noise is your concern.
    If they made condensing dryer the same size like my big LG, I would get one.
    I know they are using smaller sizes in Europe and they are use to it, but It was a headache to do laundry when my bf moved in. We were washing and drying non stop.

• 14 years ago

> I'm surprised to find the dryer (855) is condensing only! (Both US and Canada sites).

where does it say that ?

• 14 years ago

While I'm not familiar with LG appliances, I am familiar with condenser dryers. I have a Miele condenser dryer in a second home (a condo where venting wasn't possible). I've been very satisfied. The performance has been just as good as the vented Miele dryer in my primary home.

Except that the condenser model requires periodic cleaning of the condenser unit (a job that takes about ten minutes) there is no difference in drying time or performance between the vented and condenser models. The European manufacturers (Miele, Bosch, Asko) have been making condenser dryers for years. The technology is reliable and time-tested. I'm going to guess that LG's system would be similar, and your experience with LG would likewise be similar.

Bear in mind that I'm referring to stand-alone condenser dryers. I don't recommend the combi washer-dryer machines, which rely on a completely different drying technology. The combi machines don't even come close to the drying performance of a vented dryer (they can take hours to dry a single load).

I'm guessing that LG has made the assumption that the only buyers for these smaller footprint machines must live in apartments or condos where venting isn't possible, hence the lack of any vented dryers in their small machine line-up.

• 14 years ago

wa8b: to your last sentence, I assume the same, or that they found most purchasers of their 24" vented machines use the bowl-of-water adapters instead of direct venting.

regus_patoff: LG's site for the 855 dryer: "As a leader in smart technology and stylish design, LG introduces a new 24" compact condensing ventless dryer."

=aw

Here is a link that might be useful: LG 855 24

• 14 years ago

Wa8b, i have had a combo and totally agree.
    Even the Miele W/D combo, no matter it costs more than many of their separarate washer and dryer pairs, is affected by these limitations.

AndrewW: "why 24" condenser ?" No matter of the brand, when manufacturers comes to design a 24" appliance, their main target market is Europe, where condenser dryers have a 80% market share.

As a clue LG in UK doesn't sell any vented dryer

• 14 years ago

> 855

OK, but a full model number DLEC855W would have been more helpful