Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krs9_gw

Need advice re new washer and dryer

krs9
11 years ago

I need to replace my Frigidaire washer and dryer - luckily (in a sense) the both gave out at the same time.
The washer has a bearing that is gone and lubricant now leaks into the drum and ends up on the clothes - the dryer suddenly decided to not provide any hot air.
Both units are about 7 years old so not worth fixing, I want something a bit bigger anyway.

Requirements are pretty simple:
Dryer with Air Fluff and steam in white and at least 7.1 cuft
Washer to match and at least 4.1 cuft preferably a bit larger
Price in the $1200 to $1500 range

So with all the research I have done in the last several days, it seems the most reliable and recommended in that price range is Samsung followed by LG.
Trouble is that Samsung doesn't make any dryer that has AirFluff, steam and comes in white.
Most of the Samsung units I have seem come in this awful grey colour.
One model that would have been great I think is the DV339 but that is discontinued and I can't find anyone who still has it in stock - I'm in Canada btw, in Montreal Quebec.
The best I could find in LG is the LG2650 steam washer and dryer set in white at $1698 but the washer is a bit small at 4.1 cuft.
The other option is a Samsung 431 set at the same price, bigger washer at 4.5 cuft, same price but in that awful grey colour.
So then I decided to check another make - Whirlpool, and they have pretty much what I want with either the model WFW88HEAW or the model WFW94 (Dryer 95) at $1873 and $1699 respectively.
Very large washer at 5 cuft

On the Whirlpool I was debating between the higher priced model with touch buttons (and how reliable they are) vs the $1699 model with regular buttons but while researching the pros and cons of the controls I came across quite a few horror stories on the Whirlpool units, so now I'm hesitant to go that route.

Any comments on the reliability of the current Whirlpool Duets , the other options or any other suggestions.

Thanks

Comments (3)