Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foundation problem with second floor washer. Please help!!!!

Posted by piinkheartz (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 22:10

We want to put a top loading washing machine in our kitchen, the only thing we are worried about the foundation of the home ( built in the 50's). Is it possible if the washer is used upstairs over time it could cause damage to the foundation? Like causing cracks in the ceiling below and cracked beams? Also will getting something like floor pads for the washer make a difference? Please help!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foundation problem with second floor washer. Please help!!!!

Too many variables to advise you properly over the internet with so little information to go on. Enlisting the help of a Structural Engineer would serve you better.

o
RE: Foundation problem with second floor washer. Please help!!!!

We had an unfinished full basement with the washroom on the main floor. Never worried at all about foundations which were cement blocks. No ceilings to crack so I won't comment there. Did have leaks and water all over the floor several times, and that would be an issue for you. As far as the structure, when we moved into a new one story home with the wash room over a crawl space I was worried about the reputation of front loaders for shaking badly unless on solid concrete. I reinforced a part of the washroom floor by screwing a 3X5 piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the old floor in the corner where the washer and dryer were. Then I put in a Hardyboard cement board (1/4 ") on top. Finally we put in a new tile floor using thinset and epoxy grout. No problems now with our Samsung 337. Of course it has anti vibration control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here