Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is my dryer dying and worth fixing?

Posted by drcindy (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 21:14

I have a 14-year-old Frigidaire Gallery dryer. It's pretty basic. For the past couple months, it has been making the most horrific squeaking, squealing, and loud lower pitched noises that I can't even describe, throughout 3/4 of the drying cycle. But it's still drying fine. I think I've had it fixed in the past for squeaking; had something to do with the ball bearings if I'm not mistaken. Does this sound like it might just go kaput at any moment? Does it also sound like it's worth fixing at it's age, or should I start shopping around?

If I need a new one, can anyone suggest a good basic dryer with good capacity? I'm not looking for anything fancy, and it certainly doesn't need to match my LG washer, which is only 2-3 years old. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is my dryer dying and worth fixing?

Many dryers have bearing slides, flat nylon strips upon which the front rim of the drum rides, that commonly wear down. Some have a rear center bearing or a couple support roller/wheels depending on the mechanical design, as well as an idler pulley for the belt. These items typically are not expensive. You don't cite your model number, so I can't look up a parts diagram on it.

o

Hi dadoes-

thanks for the quick reply and reassurance! The model # is FDE648GFS0, if that helps.

o

There is a felt strip (part number 5303937139) glued to the front panel that has nylon glides embedded in it, on which the front rim of the drum rides. Less than $35 per one of several online sources. If this is worn, it should be replaced ASAP or the drum is running metal-to-metal and wearing down its rim and the machine's front panel. I've seen a drum tear completely through the front (on other brands/models) if left unattended for too long.

There is a belt idler (131580400), approx $20.

And several pieces related to a rear drum bearing, collectively approx $40.

Can't say from afar which items are involved in your problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here