Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amharris

24" Miele Dryer -- vented or condenser?

Anne Harris
10 years ago

Hi all. I am in the process of a long renovation in a second home. We are currently working on plans for the master BR/Bath area, and have decided to incorporate the washer/dryer somewhere in that area (most likely in the master closet; second option would be the bathroom). Both areas are relatively large--but I'll probably get a stackable unit rather than putting them side by side.

Thought I'd start casually looking for info here about W/D--and was particularly interested in Mieles. So...when I started looking at the feedback on Miele's on this forum today (about 23 hours ago--holy cow where did the day go!), I read that Miele has discontinue vented dryers. In my application I could use either a vented or condenser unit. I've always had a vented dryer, so I really have no idea if a condenser dryer is significantly different?

If the condenser can get connected to the plumbing of the washer, so I don't have to empty it, are there other downsides to the condenser type? I've hear some say that they create more heat in the room they are in?

I'm not in a rush to make a decision, but when I go to some of the appliance websites they say to call to see if they can still get a vented Miele. So, naturally now I'm wondering if I should run and find a vented one (if available) and buy it!

Advice please??? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Anne Harris
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Alex. I looked today and seems like I can still get one, at least I see it available at Gerhard's Appliances. guess it's time to make a quick decision!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Whirlpool-trainee, what is the difference between a condensing dryer and a heat-pump dryer? Reading your post above about these dryers has confused me. I have never heard of a heat-pump dryer.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Heat-pump dryers are condenser dryers that use about half as much energy as traditional dryers. LG is just launching one in the US, which will work like this European Hybrid model.

Generally, they work like a refrigerator: the heat that is normally radiated from the back of a fridge is used to heat the drying air, while the cold that is inside the frigde is used to condense the humidity released from clothes. Drying temps are lower - around 122F - and cycles therefore tend to take longer. You also have to regularly clean a bunch of filters to keep the heat pump clean and efficient. Bosch dumps the condensate onto the heat pump's fins to keep it clean, while LG will, I guess, use an external water supply to do the same. I don't think many US consumers would be too happy about washing sponge filters on a weekly basis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Pump tumble Dryers from Miele explained

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks Whirlpool! Great videos. I like how the Bosch representitive says "it will always be 8.5 stars, now and in 20 years". I wonder ;) The Miele video was very helpful.

These are the comments that confused me:
    "It seems that all of Europe is moving away from vented dryers because they use more engery than modern heat-pump dryers.

and:
    What you have heard about longer drying times, more heat output, higher energy usage etc. is true for all condenser dryers.

Maybe you mistyped. I interpreted that on the one hand Europe is using condensing dryers because it is cheaper, yet your second comment states they use high energy. That was why I was confused.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

It seems that all of Europe is moving away from vented dryers because they use more energy than modern heat-pump dryers.

I was just trying to give a reason why Miele might have done away with offering condenser dryers in the US. I maybe should have said "It seems that all of Europe is moving away from vented dryers and traditional condenser dryers because they use more energy than modern heat-pump dryers."

What you have heard about longer drying times, more heat output, higher energy usage etc. is true for all condenser dryers.

Yes, "traditional" condenser dryers do use more energy... in comparison to the alternative the OP had in mind, which was a vented dryer. Seen as a whole, vented dryers get the worst energy efficiency rating according to the European Energy Label, though.

Vented Dryer - C Rating
    Condenser Dryer - B rating
    Heat-Pump Dryer - up to A+++ Rating

I will say that the system is a little biased because condenser dryers do blow a lot of hot, dry air into the room, which helps them to be seen as more energy efficient, while vented dryers suck heated air out of the house, which, in turn, increases heating costs for the home owner.

Alex

• saeyedoc
    10 years ago

So for someone who lives where it's very warm most of the year (S. Texas), vented would be a better choice because it would reduce A/C costs compared to a condenser?
    What technology is used in the current US Miele offerings, heat pump?

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks Alex, so there are really 2 types of non vented dryers you are talking about.

• jmcd0264
    10 years ago

Are there any heat pump dryers for sale in the US right now? Thanks.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

If you're living in a warm climate, vented is definitely the way to go. I have even read that people in NYC have problems with their condenser dryers during the summer because the air around the dryer is just too warm for the condensation process for work effectively.

From a terminology point of view, there are either condenser dryers or heat-pump ones - Europeans don't say heat-pump condenser dryer. Technically, they are both condenser dryers, though.

LG debuted a heat-pump dryer at CES 2014. It should be launched soon:

Here is a link that might be useful: New LG Laundry

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I had a Bosch Axxis condenser dryer in a laundry closet in a NYC apartment and it worked perfectly all year. Just generated a lot of heat and the door to the closet could not be closed -- it needed ventilation LOL. It dried clothes thoroughly and as quickly as the vented dryer in the other place we had at he time though it dried very hot.

Cleaning the filter was a chore because it left a lot of lint sort of cooked on in between fins. I found I had to rinse it carefully so I wasn't getting a ton of lint in my garbage disposal, and then each section of the filter had to be manually cleaned with a paper towel or thin cloth wrapped around a knife. That had to be done about once a month.

But it was an excellent dryer.

• beckandmats
    8 years ago

Just thought I'd ask if anyone actually knows the answer to heat pump dryers being good in hot climates?

I'm actually a bit confused, based on the discussion above, so would appreciate if anyone had some actual data on this.

My understanding of heat pumps is that they extract 'heat' energy from the ambient air, which in this case would be your laundry room. This heat energy is then used inside the dryer, which passes the hot humid air over the cool coils to condense the water out of the drum for removal. Taking heat out of the laundry room to put in the dryer would surely have the effect of 'cooling' that space to some extent?

Or, is there merely a negliable effect on the ambient room temperature, given the dryer itself heats up, and will lose heat energy to the room, cancelling out the cooling effects? I'd be interested if anyone actually knows. Thanks a bunch.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County