Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a trick to drying sheets?

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 20:51

Sorry if this has been addressed before a million times, my google search didn't find a discussion.

A couple (few?) years ago I bought a Samsung WF520ABP washer because I needed a new washer, and a matching DV520AEP dryer because, well, it matched.

I'm no laundry expert so these suit me fine, washer washes with no mold issues, dryer dries, EXCEPT sheets and blankets. They roll up in a ball and don't dry. Short of interrupting he cycle every 15 minutes or so to unroll, shake them out, and restart, I can't get them to dry. More often than not I end up spreading them out over chair backs and sofas to finish air drying.

While this would occasionally happen with dryers in my past, this is BY FAR the worst. Any hints?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a trick to drying sheets?

Dryer Loading.

When I load sheets into the dryer, I typically load the flat sheet in the back, then the fitted in the front, and the pillow cases go towards the back with the flat sheet. Amazingly, they do stay separated through the cycle.

Of course, I have a different brand dryer. But give it a shot and see if your results change.

MRB

o

place tennis balls into white socks (to prevent staining) and throw those into the dryer with sheets. I usually use 3 of them (in separate socks, of course).

o

There are a (very) few dryers that reverse the tumble direction every few minutes through the cycle to help avoid large/bulky items from balling-up.

Some dryers may have baffles (fins, vanes) that are designed to toss items back-and-forth between front and back of the drum.

o

When you get them out of the washer, fold each sheet like you are going to put them in the closet, not that neatly though. Throw in the dryer and dry as usual. See if this keeps them from balling up. It does work.

o

Line drying! I have the exact same problem, though not always as bad as you describe. I have Kenmore made by Samsung W/D, so not sure if it's a problem with this brand.
I do find line-drying the way to go with sheets. Too bad we're still enveloped by winter where I live!

o

This is the EXACT reason we kept our Samsung dryer only about 2 weeks. The washer was fine, but the dryer sent sheets and most clothes loads into a giant ball. The sheets were all balled up, moist and wet on the inside, hot and wrinkled on the outside. Awful. For me, Miele and Electrolux with the reverse tumbling dryer seems to be our only solution!

o

ive had a samsung 520 dryer for several years. it doesn't ball up "most clothes". in fact in hardly ever does. and i already gave a tip on how to avoid that when drying sheets. some people just can't figure out how to use appliances...

o

I've tried pretty much everything with my Bosch Axxis: large loads, small loads, folding styles, dryer balls... nothing stops my microfiber covers from balling but line-drying.

o

certain microfiber material is almost as self-adhering as velco. :)

o

Certainly.

What I have witnessed is that the microfiber sheets get sucked onto the lint filter inlet just enough to stay there for a few moments and then get twisted up as the drum turns - almost like having a piece of laundry caught in the door seal and then turning the dryer on.

This video shows something similar happen to small items:

Here is a link that might be useful: Clothes stuck on lint filter

o

Anybody wants a

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung burrito?

o

Wow! That is pretty awful performance for an expensive dryer. I do agree with the second video, the drum isn't turning fast enough.

MRB

o

if my dryer did that, I'd be pissed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here