Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fahrenheit_451_gw

Miele T 9820 Gas Dryer Kaputt

fahrenheit_451
12 years ago

Well, at just over the four-year mark our Miele T 9820 gas dryer has gone kaputt. It happened this past Friday with a load of towels. After shortly starting the cycle it commenced to beep and the following was exhibited on the instrument fascia:

No matter what I tried it simply defaulted to its failed state. The gas heater never engaged with its associated roar. The drum turns freely. The lint screen is cleaned after each run. Pulled the dryer out from the wall to check the exhaust ducting and it exhibits very little lint; the innards of the duct from the dryer has very little lint residue on its side--there are no obstructions. Only one time formerly did a dishwashing towel completely cover the lint screen causing the dryer to properly shutdown, but that occurred before my last service call for this dryer and the Miele Tech was informed about it; it’s never happened since.

In all our twenty-four years of marriage we've never owned a washer and dryer that have given us this many issues. Our Miele washer and dryer became a love/hate affair. Just on the dryer alone we’ve had two different lint screens (and there is now a newer version out); the fan replaced; the front drum gasket replaced; numerous dryer programing (all by Miele Techs); a drying outcome that has ranged from wet enough to cause mildew to just right when tricked by including a different material density into a load of similar clothing material and thickness so there is just a hint of dampness (perfect). My wife has never used our machines, but I can assure others she would have never tolerated as much as I have, being the diehard that I am, regarding both the washer and dryer.

If someone has experienced the fault exhibited in the photograph above, including the symptoms listed within the photograph, and knows of a means of potentially resetting the dryer so that it can at least be used before Miele arrives to inspect and potentially fix it, kindly post it here. Tomorrow, I call Miele (I’m dreading it as we are out of Miele warranty and dealing with Miele has, occasionally, proven less than satisfactory in the past even with warranty) to arrange for a service appointment.

Sadly, we can no longer recommend Miele washer and dryers to others nor can I even fathom these units being owned by someone with house staff or even the occasional housekeeper. Since we are empty nesters, I have always operated these units. An utter pity that they do not live-up to the engineering prowess that Germany is typically substantiated and know for. My wife and I have started the hunt for our next washer and dryer. We would donate these, but cannot do so when inoperable and even after repair cannot do so in good conscience; likely we will sell them cheaply with full disclosure to their next owner. No way in hell I would give them to family or friends as I would never hear the end of it when matters inevitably go wrong.

Comments (21)

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you have the service manual? If not, send me an email from my profile page and I would be happy to send you a copy. It might point you in the right direction.

• fahrenheit_451
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sshrivastava,

Kind thanks for your offer, but it's officially out-of-commission. Miele is now working with us (though we didn't receive the Larsi treatment ;) ) to resolve this issue. I will report the final outcome. Meanwhile the clothes hamper is overflowing and I need to resort to washing some clothes to be hung out to dry over the various shower enclosures throughout our residence. A good time to look into the various built-in drying racks I've seen in Houzz for future failures.

Personally, I'm glad the dryer finally died as it was getting to be too much hoop jumping to dry clothes. Akin to rubbing one's belly and patting one's head at the same time. The T 9820 is not one of Miele's finer units.

• sandy1616
    12 years ago

Please do update and let everyone know the outcome. Given the repair history and age I'm hoping Miele will offer a fair remedy. I am sad for you.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

I hope Miele takes the opportunity to let their customer service shine! So at the very least you can appreciate the fine service you've bought into (if longevity hasn't been the strong point).

It would be wise of them to stand behind their product and leave you happy (as you can be).

I have to say, I know several people who have had Miele machines for several years and none of them have had an issue.

I can tell you that I've had mine for over a year and (minus one small clip in the detergent drawer that needed to be swapped out) I've had no issues (yet). I really like my machines.

It's moments like this that I'm thankful for my 10 year warranty (which I received for free). I would have been incredibly disappointed to have your kind of issues in such a short time.

Good luck - please keep us posted on the outcome.

• ezinternet
    10 years ago

Hi fahrenheit_451 - any update, a year later, on the fault and resolution for your T9820 dryer? Much appreciated. Mine just displayed this error.

• fahrenheit_451
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ezinternet,

I never found out what the issue was with our T 9820 as Miele simply bestowed us a new T 9822. This was likely owed to them ending this series and they already knew I was keen on follow-up and follow-through (read: they were sick of me).

The T 9822 has worked without fault. The was an issue one time where odor of something burning was emanating from the dryer. I quickly stopped it, pulled the top and found that a piece of sound deadening matt glued under the top had lost its hold and was being abraded by the drum belt. Solution: I completed removed the sound deadening piece. I also had to do the door hinge modification as it started to sag.

Sorry I am of no help and good luck with finding a solution. Miele is probably your best bet for a resolution, but I doubt there is any T 9822 inventory to be found so fixing your T 9820 might be the only remedy.

• Robakins
    9 years ago

I've just had the same issue with my T9820. I have a service call for Jan 6/2015. I've already replaced the vent drum and the belt. I finally had it running for about a month and all of a sudden, I was surprised to see "check filter/vent" error message. The dryer won't engage. I replaced the entire Vent after taking it apart looking for some sort of blockage. I vacuumed all of the inside of the vent (where i could reach). The service call is $199.00 for just someone to come out to look at it. I will post the outcome. I wil make sure that I'm at home and I will watch and ask questions.

The service call is $

• joannao
    9 years ago

Yep. Mine just died, too. Only 7 years old, constant service calls, belt replaced at least 3 times (2 years ago being the last time), shrank clothing all the time and, frighteningly, melted a brand new comforter. I am done wasting money on this thing that didn't work properly 1 month into owning it. Shame on Miele for producing such a piece of junk. And a dangerous piece of junk at that! They should recall and replace them for everyone. Then again, I don't know if I'd ever trust another Miele product after this horrible experience.

• stiewe
    5 years ago

OMG, I was just searching for issues with Miele and their appliances and stumbled on this post. We too ha just nightmares with our washer and dryer from Miele. We have a W4842 Miele washing machine, bought new in 2012. In 2016 the unit during spin cycle broke apart. It was like a car crashed into our house. Miele came and told us they could not fix it and that I am just out of warranty. I grew up in Germany and my family in Berlin always had Miele as they were the best. My grandmother had her Miele for over 20 years. They were once real work horses and you paid a pretty penny for them, but they last. To Miele's credit, they called a week later, without us encouraging them, and offered to replace the unit, free of charge. I was truly impressed.

But now we are having issues with the T9822 Gas Dryer. Same Fault as Fahrenheit_451 encountered. The frustrating part is that in the last 3 weeks we had the dryer fixed and spend 500 dollars on it. Then the Death Fault...

• HU-455101105
    3 years ago

My T9820 gas dryer just displayed the same error as Fahrenheit 451 and other have found. It seems like I got lucky and was able to nurse it along for 10 years which is still disappointing. We had a tech come out and he checked everything and we both came to the same conclusion that the circuit board is bad. Of course they are not manufactured anymore so they are $1000 to have one made. I guess that is the end of the dryer unless anybody has any ideas.

• livebetter
    3 years ago

My T9820 is still going - I 've never had to have it serviced going on year 11 (knock on wood). My W4842 had the main board replaced last year still under warranty. I'm hoping that will buy me some more time. No idea what I'd get when these go. Small Miele won't be enough.

• livebetter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@luna123456 had terrible experience with my Miele dishwasher as well (Optima). So far its replacement is doing ok (G6665 ScVi Crystal).

I recall the T98xx/W48xx were similar to Miele's commercial octoplus machines so I don't think they were just for NA. They modified it for consumer usage (?) Costco here still sells the octoplus and they look identical.

https://www.costco.ca/miele-professional-octoplus-2-piece-laundry-suite---208v.product.100284611.html

I've looked at the smaller units and I just can't imagine that being my only washer. I've contemplated two sets of machines but as our kids are getting older not sure that's needed. Popular now to have multiple sets. I'd get a larger set of something like Electrolux or LG and then the smaller Miele. I don't know honestly. My W4842 has been super glitchy all along but it's still running after 11 years and it does wash so well. Will be hard when I have to decide. I try and think about it now though as want to be prepared with the age of the machines.

The tech told me my overall hours were quite low - which surprised me since I separate loads and do quite a few per week.

Just last year when he was here to replace the main board on the washer I had him adjust my cool down on the dryer. It had NO cool down set at the factory and the installer never spoke to me about it. All these years I wondered why my clothes were so wrinkly if I didn't catch them quickly. Now it has a programmed 10 min cool down and everything is fluffy and wrinkle free. That crap drives me crazy about Miele. They drop the ball in so many areas. Don't get me started on their poor marketing/customer education.

• luna123456
    3 years ago

If you pull the service manuals for the Octoplus machines they are different. The outside basic shell is the same, but what went inside was different. The professional machines have full stainless inner and outer drums. Stainless vs Aluminum spider. The shocks are much beefier. The drum is horizonal and not inclined. There is no captive rubber boot for the door. The last one is why Miele won't sell the octoplus to residential customers. It is possible to get little fingers caught between the door and frame. The upside is that without a boot there are lot fewer problems with water being retained in a boot and you get a better seal. They are setup for external chemical dispensing. Designed to last 30k instead of 10k hours. Etc. Etc. Miele made too many compromises with the 27" residential units. It backfired on them. Now they only offer their worldwide residential 24" and professional 24" and up sizes.

There was never a gas version of the octoplus dryer that I was aware of. It was electric only. The electric versions of the T98xx dryer had fewer problems. Most of which were related to the machine being overloaded. The octoplus is rated to hold a full drum worth of clothes. The residential models were not. It was very easy to put 1.5 to two times the amount of clothes in the residential drum vs what they were rated to hold.

For marketing and customer education that is really up to the reseller. Some dealers are really good and others just sell you the appliance and you are on your own. Miele's manuals are fantastic. Much better than almost every other manufacturer. Many people do not read the manual cover to cover so they are unaware of all of the available options and any required ongoing maintenance.

We are a family of 13 people now and we have ONE set of W1/T1 laundry. We do ALL of our laundry in them. From towels to dress shirts, wool pants and sweaters, sanitize when needed. Never had one problem with them. I did replace the foam filter on the dryer which is in front of the condenser after 3000 hours as it was starting to wear out. (This was mentioned in the manual)

I think looking at the size of the new washer/dryer gives a lot of people pause. It is NOT an issue if you are accustomed to doing laundry every day. With the size of our family it is 4-6 loads per day. We can put 12-14 Costco size bath towels in one load for perspective. You can fill the drum all the way up as long as you don't pack it tight and lean on the door to get it closed everything will come out clean.

It's too bad you didn't have better luck with your current appliances. I can see how that would taint your view of Miele.

• livebetter
    3 years ago

I imagined the Octoplus were much hardier since they're made for commercial use but I thought I'd read the W48xx were made in the same factory (not Germany).

Miele's own marketing is terrible as well. At least in Canada how they have it all set up. Their website is terrible. So bad. I have no idea who's running marketing over there.

They also sell their products through regular appliance stores but handle everything themselves. Just a weird situation and most of the time these sales reps are not the most thorough. Based on how bad Miele's marketing materials are though not surprised. The only way for me to get the best information is to go direct to their customer gallery which isn't always convenient. When I bought the new DW I was in a hurry. It got screwed up and I should have bought the unit up from the one I did but that was the poor handling of the sales guy helping us. Then something had to be returned to Miele (the DW door panel we didn't need) and it took Miele >3 months to refund the money. Many calls later. Totally unprofessional and not what you'd expect from a company that touts itself as superior.

I do own several Miele items - 2 vacuums, rotary iron, washer/dryer, dishwasher. My vacuums and iron have been trouble free.

Washing/drying are more important to me than my DW though so I will go to the gallery when it's open for visiting again and get the scoop from them in person. Nice to know you can fit so many towels. Surprising as the drum looks so tiny. My friend has a smaller Miele set and a larger Electrolux and she likes the Miele better but said it's definitely not big enough for everything. There are reviews for the W1 where people say they are unable to wash king size blankets/duvets on the Canadian site.

• Payton Stiewe
    3 years ago

Hello again! We did get the Miele team out, and the guy was extremely knowledgeable and admitted that the issue with the gas dryer is a screen in the back that clogs up, and if 50% is clogged, the computer flags the airflow shuts the unit down. You can not be replaced the screen as it is welded into the machine. He had a thin long vacuum stick that he used to clear it. He got it back to work but warned me that it is only a question of time that it will re-occur.

I share the hate-love relationship, and a few weeks ago, our washer acted up again. This time it's the motherboard. The Miele tech guy came out and told me that we had 1200 hours on the machine and that it is time to get a new one. Why do I have to fill the landfill with stuff that should be repairable? I use an app called Centriq Home to get parts, but Miele parts are hard to find.

• livebetter
    3 years ago

Interesting about the screen that clogs. Starting to feel nervous about my almost 11 year old machine now.

I had to have my w4842 serviced once as it wouldn't drain properly. The tech had to literally blow gunk out of some tubing and said it gets backed up in to the air tubes then can't drain. I owned an early Frigidaire FL for 10 years that didn't have that kind of issue. I don't understand engineering something that has these faults. I assume it's only a matter of time before these tubes are gunked up again too and this time it will cost me a service call as I'm out of my 10 year warranty now.

• Steve Kim
    3 years ago

@Payton Stiewe where is this screen located. I’m having the same problems.

• mark susich
    2 years ago

We bought our Miele washer (W4840) and dryer (T9822) in 2008 (Anchorage Alaska). They have been workhorses for a family of four, taking care of our horse blankets, dog bedding, camping/hunting gear, sports, etc.

The washer has never had to be repaired. However, our dryer is now on life support with flat-lining eminent. Over the last 90 days, we had to replace the door gasket, fan blower assembly (disintegrated), all of which drove the same front fault indication as shown at the top of this thread. Friday we were informed that the dryer natural gas burner assembly needs to be replaced but is no longer available. So after 13 years of heavy daily use, we are purchasing new units (WWH860 WCS &.TWI 180 WP Eco & Steam). I wish we had access to the units available in Europe. Yes, we looked into other brands and solicited input from our friends and family. No one has experienced a similar life span or subjects their W&D to the same day after day use as we do. So, Miele it is.

• livebetter
    2 years ago

@mark susich let us know how you find them. Interested to know about the size if it's an issue at all. It's what I would consider should mine croak but the smaller size is a concern.

• HU-720256325
    2 years ago

SOLUTION! My T9820, 10 year old dryer had the same error code and it is now fixed. Unknowing to me sometime ago the dryer exhaust vent became partially detached and starting sucking lint back into itself. When I got the above error code I took off the panels and sure enough the dryer was full of lint. I spent a fair bit of time tearing apart the dryer, including the internal venting, cleaning the HTC sensors (2 of these) and blowing out the burning unit with compressed air. Note there is a small metal screen (referred to above) in the burner unit that can get plugged with lint (loosen the burner assembly and stick a narrow vacuum nozzle in it to clean). I manually tested all the sensors with an Ohm meter and everything checked out good but I kept getting the same error. Finally I called Miele for service. The guy arrived, hooked up his laptop and told me my dryer was toast because the burner wasn't working, the high temp sensors weren't working, and more BS. I told and showed him to the contrary that they were all working and explained the lint situation. After he was convinced everything was working he dug deeper into his program and noticed the dryer was in a type of "lock down" mode, preventing the error from being cleared by the homeowner. Through his program he was able to clear the error and tada, it now works like a charm! Apparently if the dryer experiences 3 overheating situations it will go into lockdown mode and you need a technician to clear the fault. In my case excessive lint in the machine and dryer fabric sheets blocking the venting, the unit overheated. Moral of the story, make sure lint doesn't find its way back into the machine and don't use dryer fabric sheets (use dryer balls instead). Hope this saves lots of gas dryers from prematurely entering the landfill.