Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fisher Paykel Dryer- Auto Sensing shuts of dryer, clothes not dry

Posted by f781700 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 16:57

We have a fisher paykel dryer with autosensing. We just replaced the heat element and the power cord (it had melted). The heat is now working. While we were trying to diagnos the heat issue we were messing with the autosensing metal tabs that are located in the lint area.

when we replaced everything the dryer would run and run. It heated but it never shut off. It did not move through the heating process. we had to manually stop the dryer. My husband played with the silver tabs again and now it heats and runs for 10 mintues, quickly goes through the drying clcle and shuts off, but the clothes are damp.

can someone tell me what the silver tabs are supposed to look like in the dryer vent area. Are they supposed to both be showing? hooked up to anything etc? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fisher Paykel Dryer- Auto Sensing shuts of dryer, clothes not

Are you referring to a topload SmartLoad or AeroSmart dryer? Which specific model number? There is a diagnostic test to confirm the sensor bars are responding.

Yes, both bars must be exposed through the grill. Tumbling clothes must touch the bars to register moisture. There's a separate (white) wire connected to each bar behind the grill. Damp clothes touching the bars completes a low-voltage electric across them, though the two wires to the control board to register moisture. No moisture registration = dry clothes, machine shuts off.

There also should be a green ground wire clipped to the bottom edge of the machine's FRONT panel,

o

I don't know the exact model number but yes it's the top load dryer.

Is there a way you can post what the sensor should look like? I don't see any parts coming out of the grill. Al I see are two metal clips when you remove the grill cover. One of the strips is uncovered and the other strip seems to be clipped into a plastic cap/cover.

We messed with these when we were diagnosing things and I have no idea what they should look like. Again, nothing hanging out of the grill.

o

Sensor bars protruding through the grill below the lint bucket.

Bucket and grill removed. A separate white wire is connected to a terminal on each bar. Right-side wire in the picture is on the upper bar, left-side wire on the lower bar.

One bar unclipped from the mounting bracket. One wire connects to one terminal on each bar. Doesn't really matter which terminal on the bars, but opposite ends are normally connected to keep the wires separated behind the grill.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here