Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwats612

LG 2277 Washer--Motor failure

jwats612
18 years ago

Our 3 month old, and lightly used washer apparently has a motor failure--The LE code shows and repair facility has ordered a new motor. I know of nothing we did to cause this.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

thanks

John

Comments (36)

• ggeorge
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your motor failure. How long to get a new motor?

I'm considering and LG 2277. Other than this big problem how does it work for you and what detergent are you using?

I don't mean to discount your motor problem.

• jwats612
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We like it a lot. It is quiet, cleans very well, and have no second thoughts other than the need for repair. We bought at HD with extended warranty. Motor here in one week I am told

• husk
    18 years ago

John..that is a very early time for a motor to fail..it is not like that is new technology. One has to think that a failure at 3 months is an anomoly. If you get another motor failure in the next many, many, months, there may be something else taking that motor out.

There is only one review for that washer on epinions..and that review is very good. Most of the reviews are written based on the first days or weeks of ownership, so a 3 month problem may or may not get reported.

You may feel like adding your experience on the epinions site, to give a little longer view. regards.

• feetr2c
    18 years ago

Many people that have gotten the LE error have reported that "rebooting" the washer fixes it. Unplug the washer for two hours. Plug it back in and try again.

• dross
    18 years ago

Isn't one of the advantages specifically touted by LG owners/dealers the robustness of the motor? I don't remember ever seeing a report here of motor failure for *any* machine from any company anywhere near this soon.

I second feetr2c's suggestion of rebooting. If you can't reach the plug, you can also switch the circuitat the breaker. (We have to do this occasionally with our old dishwasher, and with our fairly new DVD player.) - DR

• cancun271
    18 years ago

LG 2277 washers are having problems with the "LE" error code. We are on our 3rd washer, the previous two developed "LE" codes withing 2-4 washes. LG support has gone from stonewalling ("gee, we haven't had any other reports...") to admitting that it is a problem, but that the solution is to uplug for 30 minutes and plug back in.

This did not work for the first washer, but may have for the second - we didn't keep it long enough to find out. The third has not had a problem yet.

The problem is most likely either in the motor or the computer. Our first washer would reset, but then develop the code again with anything more that about a one-half load, and sometimes even then. The second only did it once, and then reset and worked until replaced 6 days later.

LG clearly has some work to do in figuring this out. Home Depot cannot be happy with this situation, given that the 2277 seems to be their "go to" FL washer. I expect that some sharply worded e-mails are being exchanged between here and Korea. And what do they do with the defective machines? I noted the local Best Buy trying to pawn them off as "open box" specials - some with standing water still in them - $200 off the pair. Woo-hoo.

• catluvr
    18 years ago

Wow, never heard of this being a "major" problem (even though it has been for both of you, cancun271 & jwatts 612). Either I'm lucky in that I haven't ever had a code on my LG2277 (it's been a workhorse for 6 months) or both of you have gotten very UN-lucky. Sorry to hear you're having problems!

• itguy04
    18 years ago

It actually is new technology - the LG uses a direct drive DC motor. Most other washers are AC induction motors.

That being said, it sucks to have the isuses, but look at the big picture - every brand is going to have some defective products. Even at a 99% success rate after 100,000 units, that's 1000 units that are broken.

We've had our 2277 for a year and 3 months - no codes or issues, just clean clothes!

• gitfiddle915
    18 years ago

Ah, nothing like spending $2000 on a washer/dryer and having to "reboot" it for it to work. I thought these were called "automatic washers"

• jwats612
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We rebooted it worked for the moment. Here is my question. We could replace the motor, but with no confidence the new one would not have the problem--or should we wait and put up with rebooting inconvenience until they develop a fix or improved part? It seems so excessive to replace the washer and I doubt they would anyway
    John

• dross
    18 years ago

I think that if rebooting fixes the problem, then it is likely to be something electronic, either in the control panel or some electronic controller in the motor.
    If you talk to a service rep or repairman, tell him that rebooting temporarily fixes the problem, that will help them diagnose it. Oh, and try to figure out how to trigger the problem, so that you can have it not working if the repairman comes out! - DR

• the_seven
    18 years ago

jwats612,
    Who told you that it is a motor failure?
    If it is a motor failure, the "reboot" ("manual reset") will never make it work again.
    This type of DC motor would act as a generator when turned by hand or some external motion. Turning the drum is same as turning the motor.
    The generated voltage from the DC motor may interfere the CPU of the electronic control and set it to some "unknown state". Then the washer will not function properly unless the CPU is "reset"
    Unplugging the washer will act as a "manual reset" to the washer.

You may have to do a manual reset ocassionally until LG redesigns its electronic control.
    Replacing the motor will not help at all.

• jwats612
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I called LG customer service and was told that sometimes using too much detergent can create this problem, and that running machine with a vinegar bath can eliminate detergent build up--We have NOT done this, if anything, we use too little detergent, but I offer this to the group as a possible solution.

They are also recommending doing a REBOOT, even though this is not mentioned in any of the materials provided with machine.

My guess is that it is an electronics or software "bug"--and not worth worrying about so long as it does not happen too often--or until they have an upgrade. Brining a technician out seems like a waste of time when machine is functioning correctly

• jwats612
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is text of very helpful email from LG

When you receive the LE error code, unplug the machine for approximately 15 - 20
    minutes. This will reset the microprocessor.

The LE error code can be an indication of several different issues.

The most common cause is over-sudsing in the machine. Many times owners
    experiencing the LE error code are using regular detergent. It is recommended to
    use a high efficiency or low sudsing detergent. Many of the leading detergent
    manufacturers have a high-efficiency (HE) selection. The HE detergents are
    designed for lower suds levels and enhanced cleaning performance in
    front-loading washers.

Overloading the wash with too much laundry may also cause the LE error code. A
    good rule is to load the washer until the clothes in the drum are no more than
    three-fourths of the way up the window of the door. This will allow them
    sufficient room for tumbling. The clothing having sufficient room to tumble is
    more important than either the weight or the number of items in the washer. It
    is the tumbling action that provides the washing effect.

Lastly, a breakdown in the signal between the microprocessor and the motor may
    cause the error code. This can occur if there is a loose wire, dislodged ball
    sensor, or if the shipping bolts are removed prior to situating the washer. . In
    this case, a servicer would need to take a look at the unit. In this case, you
    will need a service center to look at your unit. For service assistance, please
    visit our website at us.lgservice.com Click on "Service Center". Enter your
    zipcode and product type. Click search.

In the event that you cannot find a service center, please call 1-800-243-0000
    for assistance. There, an agent will be able to provide you with an Authorized
    LG Service Center in your area.

Please have your model and serial number available along with your zip code when
    you call. If you have a customer service issue, please let the agent know and
    they will set up a customer service file for you. If your unit is under the
    factory warranty, your purchase receipt will validate the warranty.

Business hours are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I have taken the liberty of providing some hints and additional information that
    may be helpful concerning your LG washer.

If you must use a regular detergent, you will only need to use 1/2-1/3 the
    amount you would normally use in a conventional top-loading machine. However,
    the HE and the conventional detergents are different formulae, and your machine
    will not perform as efficiently or effectively. Using half the required amount
    of regular detergent will
    give half the cleaning performance. As the new LG washers accept a larger than
    usual load, the cleaning performance could be further reduced. In addition to
    the reduced cleaning, there will be oversudsing. The excess suds will cause the
    washer to stop and rid itself of the suds before continuing its cycle. Getting
    rid of the detergent will further reduce cleaning performance.

Using too much detergent can cause a build-up on the outer drum over time, which
    can result in mold and even mildew growth in your washer. Should this occur, do
    a load of whites on the SANITARY cycle. Use the extra rinse and stain options.
    Use NO detergent and use a liquid bleach. This will remove the build-up and any
    odors accompanying it. This procedure may need to be repeated a couple of times
    depending on the degree of build-up.

The washing time may vary by the amount of laundry, water pressure, water
    temperature, and other using conditions.

The 'SenseClean Washing System' has a built-in turbidity sensor that measures
    the detergent/suds residue in the water during the rinse and then makes an
    adjustment of time and water usage based on the detected residue level.

The machine will detect an imbalance and attempt to correct it. If the imbalance
    is detected or if the suds removing program operates, the wash time will be
    increased.

A built-in water heater in the washer assures that incoming water is the correct
    temperature to optimize cleaning performance. Most laundry detergents must be
    activated at certain temperatures to work correctly. We use thermisters
    (electronic thermostats that have a high degree of accuracy) to detect incoming
    water temperatures. Our 1000-watt heater adjusts the incoming water to ensure
    superior thermal action performance.

You won't see a "visible" water level in the window of the unit. The water is
    pooled in the inner drum. RollerJets are built into the baffles of the washer.
    The holes in the baffle collect water and re-circulate it during the wash. This
    increases the mechanical action to achieve best cleaning performance. The
    rollers gently move fabrics
    along in the wash cycle.

This action aids in reducing the amount of water required for thorough
    cleansing. In contrast with a top-loading machine, which always fills the
    machine to a precise measured level of water, depending on the size of load you
    select (small, medium, large), the LG machine will "sense" the size of the load
    and only recirculate a minimal amount of water, thus making it very energy
    efficient, efficient in the use of detergents, and extremely efficient in its
    water usage.

Forced Water Circulation in the washer pumps water during the wash. It
    recirculates it back up and over the laundry to further increase mechanical
    action and cleaning performance.

With front loading washers, the door seals so very tightly unlike a conventional
    machine, that it is recommended to dry the seal when you are done with your
    laundry for the day to prevent an atmosphere where mold and mildew can grow.

To get the best results, sort clothes into loads that can be washed with the
    same wash cycle. Different fabrics need to be washed in different ways. Always
    sort dark colors from pale colors and whites. Wash separately as dye and lint
    transfer can occur causing discoloration of white clothing. If possible, do not
    wash heavily soiled items with lightly soiled ones.

Combine large and small items in a load. Load large items first. Large items
    should not be more than half the total wash load. Do not wash single items. This
    may cause an out-of-balance load. Add one or two similar items.

Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any additional
    questions or concerns. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics.

Cyndi
    E-mail Administrator
    Customer Interactive Center

• the_seven
    18 years ago

"A good rule is to load the washer until the clothes in the drum are no more than three-fourths of the way up the window of the door."
    This seems that LG could only wash "3/4 load" when compared the instruction of my FL: "Do not hesitate to fill the entire inner drum of the washer."

"This can occur ....if the shipping bolts are removed prior to situating the washer."
    Any reason why it happens?

"Forced Water Circulation in the washer pumps water during the wash."
    This is definitely a good feature for FL in aiding cleaning. Apparently none of other FL in NA have this feature.

It seems that LG try to cover up their CPU bugs of "LE" when giving so many possible "causes".

• dadoes
    18 years ago

Our 1000-watt heater adjusts the incoming water to ensure superior thermal action performance.Not likely on a 110-volt machine. Word play. Impossible for a 1000-watt heating element to heat a 60F water flow to 140°F as it comes in.

Overloading the wash with too much laundry may also cause the LE error code. A good rule is to load the washer until the clothes in the drum are no more than three-fourths of the way up the window of the door.And how does the machine know that it's loaded more than 3/4 full in order to generate the LE error code? There's an optical sensor that takes a look?

• sshrivastava
    18 years ago

LG cranks out multiple models of washers and refrigerators and cell phones like it was nothing -- it's a little frightening that they flood the market with so many (confusing) models and makes me wonder if they actually take the time to focus on one thing and get it right.

• dross
    18 years ago

I agree with dadoes on the heater thing - they are describing the machine as if it has a thermoblock, which it certainly has not. The LG engineers (in Korea) should teach their phone and email support people (in the US) how their washers work, the company does not do itself a service by having its public face say silly things. - DR

• HerringboneD28
    18 years ago

We've had our LG 2077 for about 8 or 9 months now and have had the "LE" error appear twice. Once when it was only a few weeks old and again about a week ago. Unplugging the unit for a period of time corrected the error both times. I agree that it's more likely a circuit board or cpu problem than an actual motor failure. Either way, it's a bit disconcerting when it happens.

I decided to keep a log of when this happens just in case service is ever needed. Didn't sense any similarities in the two occurences however.

Other than this one problem, we have been really pleased with the performance of our LG.

• itguy04
    18 years ago

Geez, you guys are way too sensitive.

For most, whether the washer heats the incoming water or heats the water in the drum as it washes is the same thing. Sure, the wording should be different, but the result is the same - proper temp wash water.

As for the 3/4 full - the LE is a motor overload error. The easiest way to avoid that is to not pack the clothes in. That's the 3/4 rule.

Us? We've had the 2277 for a year and 3 months, load it FULL of clothes, jeans (all our jeans - 10 or so pair), and towels and have never seen an LE. Did see a UE once - redistrubuted the load and all was good.

It's a fine machine.

• dross
    18 years ago

For most, whether the washer heats the incoming water or heats the water in the drum as it washes is the same thing. Sure, the wording should be different, but the result is the same - proper temp wash water.

Actually, it is completely different - if the water is only heated as it comes in, or even only at the beginning of a cycle, then the washer cannot maintain the water heat during the cycle, which is the main (only?) reason to get a FL with an onboard heater.
    I think it is pretty clear that the LG does not heat just the incoming water, whatever they say on the phone, but whether the heater in this machine operates throughout the cycle has been an open question on this forum since the machine appeared. - DR

• itguy04
    18 years ago

Guess you could say it does heat the water as it will mix hot and cold to make the proper temp. :)

Not sure on the heater running throughout the cycle - when I remember, I hit the button for the temp display and I've seen it fluctuate up and down during the cycle, so I would imagine that is the heater cycling on/off.

Either way, dirty clothes go in, clean clothes come out! Can't beat that! :)

• dross
    18 years ago

Clean is certainly the bottom line, though - apropos of this thread's subject line - clean without LE errors beats plain old clean:-) - LG

• feetr2c
    18 years ago

Hey ITGUY.....what cycle do you pick when you wash a FULL load of jeans? I have found that with dense material like denim, if I have a FULL load, I have to select permanent press for the extra water. Setting a normal cycle doesn't give enough water to get them all wet. I only have that problem with denim. It doesn't seem to compact as much when it's wet. Now towels, one the other hand get wet and squash down to nothing! I love it!

• cancun271
    18 years ago

New washer (our third) has been plowing through laundry without problems for a whole week now. Gotta admit that the thing is an awesome piece of gear when working - mountains of kid clothes can be done in a few loads, things are really clean, and really dry, and you sure can wash the big stuff. Hope the machines hold up, but have my doubts.

Went back to Home Depot and handed over the $180 to extend both warranties out to five years. Our last W/D pair cost $200 (used) and lasted 11 years. I don't expect these to outlast their service contract.

• sshrivastava
    18 years ago

I'm shocked that people would still stick with the same brand after receiving two brand new, faulty units -- that would be enough for me to go shopping for another brand!

• itguy04
    18 years ago

Hey ITGUY.....what cycle do you pick when you wash a FULL load of jeans? I have found that with dense material like denim, if I have a FULL load, I have to select permanent press for the extra water. Setting a normal cycle doesn't give enough water to get them all wet.

I just pick Normal and let it do its thing. It does seem to take a while to figure out how much water to use - probably 5-10 mins before it stops filling. But it gets things clean and I have not had a problem washing 10 pairs of jeans at a time.

I think they all get wet - they all come out damp. But since you hardly ever see the water line in the 2277, it's hard to say.

• cancun271
    18 years ago

Delivery service picked up the third and final LG washer today. The driver asked my wife about why we were returing them, and then commented that he has "seen a whole lot of returns on these" lately. Looks like we are not the only ones who find a $2,300 laundry set with error codes right out of the box to be unacceptable.

• spendar
    17 years ago

okay, i'm going to have to second the_sevens thoughts about turning the drum being an issue. I haven't previously had any error codes but tonight (after spinning the drum to get to all the little jewels that fell off my daughter's new pair of jeans in the previous load) got the LE code. I'm resetting it now and hopefully that was the problem and resetting it will fix it. I'll let you know after i've reset it and used it some more if the issue seems resolved.

• mummof3
    17 years ago

I have to agree with the others about spinning the drum inside the washing machine. From the time we got our washing machine last December until they replaced it in June, we had the LE Code usually at least once a week. They replaced the washing machine and two days later, after about four loads, we had the same LE code. I was starting to think it was something with our house - electrical, etc. I did a search and found this site and realized it wasn't my house. We had the repair guy come to the house and he said that if you open the door during a wash to add something, if you spin or move the drum, it can set off the LE code. I don't usually add to a load that's being washed but often would spin the drum to make sure that I had all the socks, washcloths, etc. out of the machine. I haven't spun the drum since and we have been good. I'm afraid to spin it now.

• newfrontloader
    17 years ago

I have a 2 years old 2277HW. All works fine until recently there are leaks from the drain pump filter area (the small box on the left front bottom). It developed the leads when I last time pulled the drain hose to drain water out before cleaning the drain filter. If I put the coin type plug in place water drips down right under the area while the washer is running. If I hold the hose upright all leaks stop. Sounds to me the twist of the hose is the reason for the leak. I am aware the new 2277 now being sold they have changed the design and have the hose held it upright by a clip. Any idea what is the problem of this leak? I am now using a tape to have the plug holding in place (arrows on plug pointing east/west instead of north/south to stop the leaks). Can I order retrofit parts from LG to modify it to the new setup? My guess is LG may know this problem and therefore change the design.

• fixintogo
    17 years ago

RE: LG 2277 Washer--Motor failure (Follow-Up #16)

posted by: dadoes on 03.29.2006 at 05:23 pm in Laundry Room Forum

Our 1000-watt heater adjusts the incoming water to ensure superior thermal action performance.

Not likely on a 110-volt machine. Word play. Impossible for a 1000-watt heating element to heat a 60°F water flow to 140°F as it comes in.

Overloading the wash with too much laundry may also cause the LE error code. A good rule is to load the washer until the clothes in the drum are no more than three-fourths of the way up the window of the door.

And how does the machine know that it's loaded more than 3/4 full in order to generate the LE error code? There's an optical sensor that takes a look?

Actually, it does sense the load by turning the drum back and forth while the CPU senses the current load of the permanent magnet DC brushless motor. I have a WM2478HRM Tromm washer that does this.

Also, it does have a 1000w heater inside the outer drum (separate from the steam generator in the top) that heats throughout the entire wash cycle. I've verified this on a Kill-a-watt monitor into which the washer is plugged, and by the service manual which I have (although it is for the previous model - the 2478 manual is not available yet). You can see the heating element through the holes in the inner drum if you look through the holes in the bottom rear of the inner drum with a bright flashlight. We just did a high temp load of whites, and they came out really clean. The outside of the washer got pretty warm too from the heater, which it normally does not do on the other cycles.

• bolingbrookil
    17 years ago

On my LG wm1814cw front load wahser, I got LE error code and the drum doesn't spin, i think due to exessive suds. Does anybody know how to reset the control panel. I have washed with no detergent just to clean and also used vinegar. I have tried unplugging many times for more than 30 minutes and it still doesn't reset. I am thinking the motor is fine and its just reseting of LE error code. Is there a fix to it.

• jwats612
    Original Author
    17 years ago

you might look at my posting from last March-which summarizes what LG customer service told me about error codes
    we have not had one since'
    good luck

John

• lola3816
    17 years ago

itguy04 wrote;

>>

I have a 2277, where is the temp button?

• furiouswithlg
    17 years ago

LG is VERY aware of this problem, so much so they send you a boilerplate letter about all the "fixes" for it and how to do laundry properly, blah, blah, blah. Good news is the motor on my 2277 has a 7-year warranty, bad news you have to pay exorbitant trip and labor charge to get it changed out. LG has a company policy of NOT selling parts directly to customers (they say it would make them liable if you got hurt repairing their product - I guess the other (major) appliance manufacturers must be ignorant of this little factoid). Parts are ONLY available to service centers. I have requested that parts be sent from LG directly to me -denied. I have requested to speak with a technical support person from LG - denied. I finally tracked down the source of the fault code on my own. The problem is a small trigger on the lower side of stator that acts as a trigger to provide feedback to the motor controller. One of the pickups is dead. The ONLY fix for it at this time it to replace entire stator assembly - even though this small piece is only clipped on - what a waste. Not to mention 1 week lead-time and around $200 labor. Did I mention the machine is only 14 months old? I was very happy with the machines performance, but now knowing that I can not acquire parts for it, and how uncooperative and genuinely disinterested LG customer "service" is, I'll never make the mistake of purchasing another LG product again. And even more likely I'll end up telling my experience to anyone I can.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida