Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mardo_gw

stacking dog crates

Mardo
12 years ago

I'm posting my question in Laundry as I originally intended to put two L/XL dog crates under each corner of full wall counter (crate doors facing each other). The problem became the width of the crates under the countertop would become unnaturally deep and it detracted from the functionality of the laundry room. I decided to move crates into the adjoining mudroom and stack them on top of each other within built in cabinets with a strong divider between them. This will be located next to a 36x48 walk in doggy shower so it seems more appropriate here.

Does anyone have any pictures of large stacked dog crates or done this in their own home? My older shepherd will get the bottom crate and youthful Weimaraner will get upper crate which he can easily jump into.

Comments (19)

• dianne47
    12 years ago

But the youthful dog will age and will s/he still be able to get into a stacked crate? The dog shower sounds fabulous, excellent for cleaning dirty kids' feet, muddy boots, etc.

• Mardo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Once my Weim ages and he can't jump so well anymore he will be moved into lower crate as our shepherd will be long gone. We'll likely always have two dogs far enough apart in age that the elder gets the bottom bunk while spunky youngster gets top bunk. I can't wait to build that doggy shower too - and use it for hosing off boots, etc. As much as I can't wait to build our dream kitchen, I'm secretly coveting the laundry room and mudroom as the superstar rooms of the house.

• dualref
    12 years ago

I'd worry about the dogs being exposed to all the detergent fumes in the laundry room. They can smell much better than humans can. Just make sure they are not kenneled while doing laundry.

• springroz
    12 years ago

We used to stack the crates at the poodle kennel, and never had any problem!! I think we even had some toys in the third story, but that was a LONG time ago!

My dogs are crated in the laundry room with no problems.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

My dogs were crated in the laundry room and I stacked their crates. Granted, they are 3 chihuahuas, but it worked great for them. We have since moved their crates to the coat closet (with the bifold doors OPEN) because the dog & cat boxes are now in the laundry room.

• Goldens1
    12 years ago

I agree with others about them not being in there when doing laundry. I also think there is potential for harm for the dogs with stacking the crates, I wouldn't do it. There are scenarios where they could get hurt, especially if something happens and you are not home.

• Carolina Rodriguez
    8 years ago

Please post if you find any! I'm thinking of doing the same! And "laundry detergent fumes" ? Why would you soak your clothes in something so toxic as be harmful to smell?

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

My dog crates have been in the first floor laundry room for over 3 years. I really don't think I'm using anything toxic in there! It's the most convenient and least harmful place for them to be whine I'm not home.

• Carolina Rodriguez
    8 years ago

I agree! That's where my dogs are happily sleeping and they search out their crates when tired and put themselves to bed :)

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    8 years ago

carolina1r, because after soaking your clothes in toxic laundry products you generally rinse all the toxins away in the rinse water, and generally the non-toxic detergents don't clean as well.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I Love toxic laundry detergent, think I have ove 50 now and yep I rinse it away.

• enduring
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I did a Houzz search and many popped up. Here is one like the OP was looking for:

Dog Friendly Remodel · More Info

More:
    Colonial Farmhouse · More Info

Tremont 2 · More Info

Dog Crates · More Info

Garage:

Laminate Garage Cabinets with Dog Kennel · More Info

Kitchen:
    Melrose Street, Newton MA · More Info

• Carolina Rodriguez
    8 years ago

Thanks for the pics!
    Re toxics- I use natural detergents and my clothes are very clean and last years. Nothing "washes away" in goes into your lakes and rivers, so don't kid yourselves. Having been an oncology nurse, I know first hand the damage many chemicals cause and sometimes it's after decades of use, but others aren't so lucky.
    But if you want soak your clothes, bedding, towels, and whatever else in toxic soup that ends up in the lakes and rivers you and your dogs may swim in and drink from... why the concern about doing laundry nex

• Carolina Rodriguez
    8 years ago

...doing laundry next to dog crates?

But back to topic- These mud/laundry rooms are gorgeous! I am looking to make a built in two story dog crates. It's another project on top of all our other renos ... but I'm taking ideas from all of these pics!
    Thanks again!

• enduring
    8 years ago

Good luck, and would love to see what you come up with.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Carolina, would you share with me what natural laundry detergent you use? I'm always interested in laundry detergents thank you.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

enduring, as a Certified Master Groomer I have to say that the built in tub with the step/shelf halfway down photo is a recipe for disaster. I know this must be a stock photo, but I couldn't let it go.

Never, never, never allow a dog allow a dog to jump down from an elevated area or table, double especially not a dog with wet feet. There is zero traction on that floor and slippage can easily result in broken legs or a broken jaw- I have even seen a nail snagged and ripped out. A responsible person always lifts a dog in and out of an elevated tub or surface and gently sets them down on all four feet at the same time. My Wolfhounds weigh upwards of 180 lbs and it takes two of us to lift them but we would never even consider allowing them to jump on a floor like that.

Sorry for the rant but safety first, and jumping onto a hard floor with zero traction is not safe for any dog.

• MiMi
    8 years ago

I have no answer for your solution.. it just reminded me of when my daughter did that. She had a boxer in the bottom crate and a smaller crate on top with a new Shitzu puppy in it (nicknamed Pee Poo) for a reason..... The poor boxer "Bubby" in the bottom crate spent most of his confined time just getting peed on....

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County