Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

stacking front load washer dryer

Mom23Es
12 years ago

I didn't even know this was a possibility, but our builder mentioned that you can buy a kit to stack front load washer/dryers. We have a Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer. In our new house, our laundry room will be on the second floor. I keep thinking it would be nice to save floor space and stack the washer and dryer, but I'm wondering what the drawbacks are to stacking? DH and I are both tall, so I'm not worried about reaching controls or inside.

Any opinions or experience with this?

Comments (8)

• iowa19
    12 years ago

You have listed the one and only advantage to this method, which is to save space. We own a condo in Chicago where square footage is at a premium and having a "laundry closet" is our only solution so we stacked. If I had the space, or could make it work any other way, I would put them side by side.

If you have the room, do as many have and put a countertop above your side-by-side machines for folding. Or pedestal-mount them for added height (you can't use pedestals when they are stacked) and storage below.

When the machines are stacked, they are more difficult to pull in and out for service. Also, chances are that your dryer will outlast your washer. If you're not enamored with the Duets after 7 or 8 years and you've designed your space to only accept stacked machines, you'll be hard-pressed to slide anything other than another Duet (or maybe another WP model) under your existing dryer.

Others may chime in with thoughts, but those are mine. Enjoy your new home and setup either way!

• likewhatyoudo
    12 years ago

We stacked our whirlpool duets for our remodel to make room for a laundry sink and clothes hanging space. I am only 5' 2" and have not had any problem reaching to get the laundry out of the dryer. We did not use the stacking kits made for the W/D. I did not like the staggered look that the kit gives the set when stacked. Go into a appliance store and look at the set stacked with the kit and you will see what I am talking about. The space custom built for our set was 80" tall by 29" wide by 31 deep, we had a access panel cut into the side to help with hookup. The picture doesn't show the door that was added later to cover the access panel.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

OP, my main concern about stacking the w/d on an upper floor would be the extra weight (i.e., stress) this would put on your floor.

IIRC, I saw this issue addressed either on TV (either This Old House or HGTV) or online (maybe both).

Have you talked to the building contractor about this? It might be better if the floor were reinforced.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK. I guess it's probably not the best idea then. I thought it would be an easy way to get more space. We already have 5' of cabinets with a sink. I'm sure that will be plenty. We have the pedestal drawers, and I'm not in love with them. They have been difficult to organize and keep clean. I've thought about putting a countertop above the washer/dryer, but with the pedestals I'm not sure it will be helpful. Will it?

Thanks for your help!

• Eddie Kesner
    7 years ago

This message is for likewhatyoudo. We have the same W/D units that you have. We previously installed the stacking kit recommended by the company and I did not like the staggered look. So, what was your solution to the problem? Thanks for your help.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

This post is 4&1/2 years old...people leave so you may not get an answer.

• likewhatyoudo
    7 years ago
    Eddie- we simply stacked the dryer on top of the washer. We have had no issues.