Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair tip for control boards

Posted by dadoes (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 13:39

The controller board on my parents' Whirlpool wall oven went bad a couple weeks ago. Replacement part is NLA (no longer available) due to trouble with the supplier from which Whirlpool sourced the board. Unfortunately this is not an uncommon occurrence. The oven is only 5 years old (no longer under warranty of course), but the model in question has been in production for a long time, introduced in 1995.

The solution is to have the board repaired. Two electronics repair services are available that handle appliance boards (there may be more).

CoreCentric Solutions

FixYourBoard.com

CoreCentric Solutions was recommended by Whirlpool. However, I used FixYourBoard due to a better warranty on the work. Turnaround time was just one day, although I suppose that depends on how much work they have in the queue. Total time including transit there and back via UPS Ground was Tue > Fri. (UPS Ground can effectively be overnight within the state in some instances).

Perhaps this info will be helpful to others in the same situation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair tip for control boards

Thanks for posting. It's so much better for the environment when people repair appliances instead of replacing them! Unfortunately, it's not always cost-effective.

o

Would you recommend repairing damaged control boards even when new ones are still available? Is repairing them less expensive than new boards? As reliable?

o

Cost comparison depends on the individual board, of course. A couple online sources still list a price for the discontinued board I dealt with, ranging from $177 to $198. The repair service I used offers a 2-year warranty on their work, charged a flat-rate of $130 (including return shipping) + sales tax. They claim to stress-test the board to confirm all the components are good, not just what was replaced/repaired.

Here's another servicer in Canada I just now ran across. They also service the U.S.
ApplianceTimers.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here