Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamhousedesign_gw

Drying racks in laundry room

dreamhousedesign
10 years ago

My husband likes all of his shirts hung to dry but our new laundry room doesn't have space for a large wire drying rack. He doesn't think I should put them on hangers to dry. Any ideas for space saving drying racks? (there is less than 4' from the wall to the front of the machine with the doors closed).

Comments (18)

• kris_zone6
    10 years ago

Why doesn't he think you should hang them on hangars to dry? To me, that is the only reasonable way.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Is he afraid that rust will transfer from the hangers? I know those old wire hangers might do that. Use the plastic ones and It should be fine. I agree with kris_zone6..."that is the only reasonable way".

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

Your husband is being silly.

Reviewing your choices: 1) remodel the laundry room to make room for drying racks..which will serve no other purpose... or 2) buy some non-rusting hangers which will do a better job, take up much less space, and cost 1/100th as much. Jeopardy music now plays.

Did you intend to post this here or on the marriage forum? : )

This post was edited by Gwarstong on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 22:11

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

If the shirts are knit sport shirts, a hanger will leave a hump/bump where the shoulder hangs off. I "line dry" knit sport shirts on a collapsible folding rack.

• dreamhousedesign
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He doesn't like the bumps on the shoulders from the hangers and Im too short to have bars above the machines to hang the stuff on.

• gwarstong
    10 years ago

Umm...there are form-fitting, non-rusting hangers that don't leave bumps. I, my actual self, own several....which I use to dry and store my knit sports shirts and or sweaters and or other fabrics that tend to stretch with their own weight.

If you say you're too short to hang them, I guess I'm done. Good luck.

• carra
    10 years ago

This might seem silly....... but my husband doesn't like the bumps either......... when he gets dressed in the morning, he simply dampens his hand towel and dabs the bumps...... they disappear........... That has been his 'remedy' for years.

• homepro01
    10 years ago

Have you considered a Sheilamaid? It goes out if the way when not in use and really can be hung high when in use too.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheila Maid

• mrb627
    10 years ago

Why can't you put the drying rack in another room?

MRB

• Peke
    10 years ago

I am going to make a drying rack in a frame that will be attached to the wall. When needed it can be folded down to use. My sink will be underneath it. I don't have a picture, but it should be easy to make.

• Peke
    10 years ago

This rack folds up flat if you have room for it.

• Peke
    10 years ago

A wall rack.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Here is the one I am building except I want it to lay flat at 90 degrees.

• Peke
    10 years ago

How about these hangers? They are inflatable! Organize dot com. 2 for $2.23.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Leifheit 83100 Wall Dryer Telefix 100

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I see someone already mentioned the sheila maid, which is what I plan on getting as soon as I finish "fixing up". My laundry/ mud room.

• dianne47
    10 years ago

Inflatable hangers are great, anything hung on them dries very quickly. I always take 2-3 on trips for in-room laundry.

I use the never-iron method for all clothing: put in dryer for 2-3 minutes, take items out one at a time (turn dryer back on as you hang each item so all keep tumbling), hang on hangers to finish drying. Never get "bumps" and never, ever have to iron.

That Sheila Maid is fantastic, thanks for the tip.

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Thought I would show you the one I'm getting. It's made by Greenway, sold in several places on line including Amazon and Walmart. It comes in 3 rods and 6 rods and is adjustable as far as length. This is different then the Sheila Maid in that all rods move independently of the others.