Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of Laundry room sink

Posted by dreamhousedesign (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 12:27

We have a section of wall in the laundry room that is 4' wide and I was hoping to put a pantry cupboard beside the sink. Is this too narrow? Is there a standard size that a laundry room sink should be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of Laundry room sink

What are you planning on doing with the sink. I see that most utility/laundry sinks are fairly deep and plastic. At least the ones I see at the big box stores. Go online and see what the measurements are on one of those. I would think that a nice sized kitchen sink would be just fine. Something sort of deep.

Have you looked on Houzz dot com for inspiration pics?

I have seen an IKEA sink that was for laundry, and it was 24" wide. It was nicer looking than the plastic big box store utility/laundry sinks. It had an integrated wash board embossed in the front inner surface. It was stainless steel. I think this is the IKEA sink. The cabinet is separate. I don't recall seeing that cabinet at IKEA.

Kohler has a cast iron sink that is a laundry sink and I think it is 24" wide too. This is it in its very expensive stand. You can counter mount it too.
 photo kohler-K-6608-2P-47.jpg

Here is an image that I found on Houzz that shows a bathroom with intigrated washer/dryer with a petite sink :)

Kind of a kitcheny setup:

Way cute vintage look with husband shirt hanging options :)

This is the Kohler sink (I believe) mounted into the counter:

Very smart and utilitarian:

All these last images I got off Houzz

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz link for laundry sinks

o
RE: Size of Laundry room sink

As enduring says, you have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with the sink. Sixty years ago, the large, deep, double basin, usually cast concrete, laundry sink was needed for wringer washers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, if all you are doing is rinsing out the softener cap, then the small sink between the W & D shown above would be sufficient. Will you use the sink to give a dog a bath or do hand laundry? Then you'd need something bigger. Is the laundry located in an unfinished corner of the basement? Then the fiberglass tubs (single or double basin) are sufficient, cheap and easy to move when needed. If your laundry will be in a finished room and you want a more upscale look, then the pictures above give you some ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here