Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele Gas Dryer...should I convert to electric

Posted by orthores (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 12:06

I have read for months about gas vs electric. My wife thinks that the gas dryers will overheat her clothes, she dries almost everything on delicate. Worried about slothes shrinkage

Just bought a beach house, the laundry room has a gas line run to it. We COULD run a 220 line to it for an electric dryer...

I am not concerned about venting (great straight out of the wall 1 foot run vent), gas smells, etc....

Just wondering if gas dryers seem to run hot?

Would you buy gas if the price of gas an electricity were the same?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele Gas Dryer...should I convert to electric

be aware that whatever european dryer - no matter if gas or electric- runs at lower temps that average american ones because they rely on more powerful blowers

Miele gas dryers have two separate control boards, one controls burner operation, the other controls target temperatures per a NTC probe, drum speed, reverse tumbling patterns, blower.

However if gas and electricity price were the same, i'd go for electric, cause it is simpler and less expensive (just a coil vs a burner and its safety devices)

o

You'll pay a bit more for a gas dryer over an electric, but more than likely, it will be cheaper to operate. Most place in this country, it's less expensive on a per load basis to dry with gas than electricity.

I tend to think that some cheaper American gas dryers run hotter than their electric counterparts, but most of the higher-end models that I've seen are about the same. With a Miele, I'm guessing that temperatures would be fairly consistent between the two sources of energy. My Miele dryers are electric, but I know they run cooler than typical American brand electric dryers.

o

Wa8b, given gas is cheaper to operate in most States
having hot and cold fill washers makes a lot more sense than our cold fill only residential washers we use in EU.

Someone on this side of the pond will claim that a cold start doesn't set stains. This can be true if water enters the washer @ 150-160F. Actually having a 140F water supply, water entering the tub cools down to 105-110, that's not enough hot to set stains

Most people don't know commercial washers here have hot, cold and sometimes even very hot fill water supplies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here