Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

help! new lg 4.8 cu ft washer....lots of water in soap tray

larsi_gw
13 years ago

One of my BEST friends finally got a new washer and dryer delivered yesteday! She has needed new machines for years & finally just did it!!

Sears delivered her new (white)LG steam washer and steam dryer yesterday. I do not know the specific model, but it is 4.8 cu ft and the washer has the square door window, not round.

After each wash load, the detergent compartment is FULL with water. Not talking an ounce or so, I mean full. So full, that she has to remove the tray (try not to spill the water), and dump it in the sink, before she can add liquid detergent and run another load.

She says the machine is whisper quiet, and items are coming out super clean, and spun perfectly.

Any advice? This cannot be normal for this much water left in the tray after each load! My Miele soap tray (besides from the FS compartment) has NO water after a load.

PLEASE ADVISE/HELP...she is very upset, since the machines are less than 24 hours old. THANKS so much!!!

Comments (28)

• gates1
    13 years ago

is the drain hole clear, maybe a plastic burr on it? possible blocking the hole?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I will let her know. She does love, love her machines though. They are so quiet!!!!!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

R U trying to kill me?!

When I first saw your post I thought you'd bought them ... I was really going to hunt you down - LOL ...

I really did like those LGs. You'll have to see them first hand and tell me what you think.

My parents new LGs are so quiet.

I'm surprised you didn't convince her to buy the one and only Miele.

What is it they say, "Friends don't let friends buy LGs" :)

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL Livebetter. She told me, she didn't tell me she was washer and dryer shopping, because she knew I would talk her into Mieles!! :)

I checked what she paid at Sears, and she almost could have just as easily bought the W4842 and T98xx dryer. Her wash machine was $1650!!

They are so quiet, and the build quality does not seem bad at all. The dryer does not reverse, and that is the #1 requirement for me, in a dryer. The #1 must, even above brand!!

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I know! It really wasn't about the cost for me. I would have saved about $1,000 going with the LGs but the warranty was only 5 years vs 10 with Miele (which was free as part of a promotion Miele was running).

I told you the LG seems like a well built machine (compared to the other "mass" brands available). The only thing with the WM3885 that worried me was the LCD screen and all that computerization. I was sure that was begging to break down (but who knows). LG is supposed to be very reliable.

The LG dryer is larger than the Miele. You should ask her if she has any issues with "balling up". I don't think my mom has had any problems with her LG (slightly smaller than the WM3885 but slightly larger than the Miele).

I don't want to know how great all her steam options are. I really struggled with that. I really liked that dryer and what it appears to do. Sigh ...

Good job I'm very happy with my Mieles!

As for the reverse tumble - certain items I dry (like a mattress pad) will still make somewhat of ball and certain areas will remain damper than others. For regular laundry though, it dries really nicely.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Larsi, don't forget to post back if she finds out the problem. I'm curious now :)

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Both LG and Sears says it is normal (she took a picture). Since she is using liquid detergent, the siphon valve system is just leaving a lot of water in the little pop in tray thingamajig :)

All is Normal with her machines and she is so relieved, and she LOVES them. I am amazed at the quietness and balance. I LOVE, LOVE my Mieles...but my W4842 sounds like a Grumman bus compared to her LG washer. :-o

• gates1
    13 years ago

OMG!! Larsi said something negative about a Miele washer...quick jump start my heart! Larsi, you speak of balance, does that mean Mieles dont balance loads well or is it just a noise factor?

• larsi_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ gates1...

Miele perfectly balances loads, of course most so during the spin cycle(s). It is just a pure noise factor. The wash and rinse cycles are really quiet in my W4842, but the spin cycle(s) are much, much louder, compared to my friend's new LG! We'll see how long her machines last though. I like knowing that my machine has thicker iron/steel components and higher quality internal parts. But, if one is happy knowing that the LG might only last 3-5 years...then it is QUIET and very fancy (and fun to use!!!) :)@

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

uhhh, no. There should not be more than a tablespoon of water in the bottom of the liquid detergent tray at the end of the cycle. She needs to check to see if there is a little bit of plastic still there that needs to be cut out (with a knife).

Remove the tray.

Inside the tray there is a 'cap', perhaps a different color, that says 'MAX'. Pull this off the tray.

Look through the tube you just uncovered and see if there are any bits plugging it up.

Reassemble by pressing the 'cap' back into place, then put the tray back into the drawer.

You can also check the other sections the same way, though they don't have the same tube. (bleach, f-softener).

• gates1
    13 years ago

Why do Meile owners assume that any washer otherthan a Meile will only last 3-5 yrs? My non meile washer lasted over 9 yrs before I got rid of it, bacause I was not going to spend the same amount of money to fix it, that I could of bought a new washer for. I do not understand this kind of thinking? I paid half the price for a Meile and it lasted half as long, so where did I lose out? I didnt!

• keyurx
    7 years ago

I tried cleaning everything and nothing worked. I just ended up buying a new replacement detergent cup from amazon for less than 10 dollars and there is no more water being left in the cup. Hope this helps somebody out there.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

@gates - the problem point is 5-7 years with all of them. Some last longer >10 and some less. These days it is rare to have an appliance for 10 years without some sort if repair or maintainence cost, including Miele. Being well built doesn't escape the built in obsolescence. Any brand will last as long as you want it to as long as you repair it. FL,s are simple in design with the biggest failure on the bearings and seal, pump second, suspension third. Buy cheap and replace often.

• Leane Teriaca
    2 years ago

Turn off water supply and check filter s in hose near machine. If tub does not get full pressure, water will remain in dispenser.

• gail.katz
    2 years ago

We bought an older house in June that has an LG Wave Force top loading washer and front loading dryer. It's older and was never cleaned or cared for. We noticed the detergent dispenser full of water after each load. It is also very cheaply made and hard to pull out. Today we decided to remove it and see if we could dry it well and the slime in there was unconscionable. I don't want to use it anymore. Does anyone know if it's ok, after we clean it and its filthy compartment well, if we can replace it, then not use it? I'd rather just dump the detergent into the drum with the clothes. Is is OK to just leave it out completely? I'm afraid if we do that, we may end up with accumulated dirt that will flow into the drum from the system trying to dispense through the opening. Sorry, hope that makes sense and thanks so much for any feedback. I can't find the response by Googling.

• Leane Teriaca
    2 years ago

If it wasnt new i would say check the hose filter screen inline near hookup. Poor pressure can cause this, if connected to faucet tap make sure they are opened completely.

• Leane Teriaca
    2 years ago

Clean your inline water hose filters if nothing else works. It fixed mine.

• gail.katz
    2 years ago

It is not new, so I will try this. Thanks Leane. I've been using vinegar in every laundry as I have been for years in our previous home. I think that helps a little.

• Leane Teriaca
    2 years ago

Put vinegar in all dispensers and run on sanitary.

• Leane Teriaca
    2 years ago

If you dont have rust or iron prob you could run good quality bleach in all dispensers on sanitary also.

• Leane Teriaca
    2 years ago

if you dont overdo detergent, right in with the clothes would be ok, but you'd have to use dispenser if you want bleach or fabric softener. try ordering complete new drawer & spraying bleach & scrubbing inside top of drawer opening. its cheaper than new machine.

• gail.katz
    2 years ago

Tx Leane. I think I'm going to go with just dumping it in. Don't use fabric softener. Vinegar does the trick and helps keep the machine clean.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@gail.katz, I will hazard a guess that the inside of the outer tub and exterior of the inner drum are infested with with as much smutz, if not more, than you found in the dispenser.

• gail.katz
    2 years ago

Thanks for that.

• Glen L
    last year

Problem solved. I decided to purchase a new dispenser tray and was pleasantly surprised that LG had updated the dispenser. LG added a small hole in the bottom. Thank you, LG.

No more overflowing dispenser, no more puddles on the floor. For WM3900 order this part from LG: AAZ75735901

• Leane Teriaca
    last year

Where is the small

• Leane Teriaca
    last year

Small hole,bottom side left or right?