Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rusting around bleach dispenser of washing machine

Posted by springwater (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 11:40

I'm in the market for a new washing machine because the portal where I add bleach in my current top loader is rusting around the portal--in fact, the rust seems to be around the top of drum rim also. I'm attirbuting this to the stong concentration of bleach. I thought I would try a front loading machine this time around and my thinking is if I buy such a machine that has a plastic portal for adding the bleach and a stainless drum, I will eliminate this rusting problem or will? Your help in making the right decision would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rusting around bleach dispenser of washing machine

Does your water have moderate to high concentrations of iron and manganese? Our town water has this, and you basically have to stay away from clorine based products. It will deposit rust looking ick inside your dishwasher and on your dishes, and your white clothing can look discolored. Given this is what happens with iron in solution, got to guess that unprotected metal around your washing machine will also react. I'd bet that even lower grades of stainless steel will have problems with clorine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here