Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Will restricted water flow damage my washer?

alisande
14 years ago

I have a fairly new Speed Queen top-loading washer that uses cold water for every rinse. When my old machines were in the basement, the cold water intake would become clogged with sediment, and I cleaned out the filter regularly. I should have thought of this when my new laundry was created on the first floor, but I didn't.

Now the cold water flow has slowed to a barely-discernible trickle, and I can't get at the filter to clean it out. Until this problem is somehow solved, should I stop using the washer? I'm worried that something will burn out while the machine is trying to pull water in and getting so little at a time. Or doesn't it work that way?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (5)

• hidroman
    14 years ago

No, water enters the washer because of water pipeline pressure, there's nothing else.

It just takes longer to fill, but no damage is possible

The only difference is that the spray rinse is not as effective as usual b/c of pipeline low pressure. Maybe it's always worth you have an extra deep rinse each time you wash, until the filter will be cleaned

Actually the filter may be a pain. The more you wait to clean it, the harder it gets to be cleaned

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! That's a relief. I don't know how we're going to fix this problem......I'm hoping the contractor who installed the plumbing will have a good idea.

• dadoes
    14 years ago

Just a comment that it's interesting how many times I've run across the misconception that washers and dishwashers filling involves the machine actively pumping water in from the household supply. In all cases, it's simple household water pressure that does the filling, whether provided by a municipal utility or a private well.

I'm not understanding why the OP can't get to her hose filters. The machine's supply faucets (and hoses) need to be accessible. If not, how would she turn the water off if a hose ruptured or the machine's water valves hung and it went to overflowing?

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dadoes, I can reach the shut-off valves with no problem. But even standing on a step stool, I don't have the room or the proper angle to loosen the ring at the end of the hose. I'm also concerned about the water that is bound to escape the hose. That wasn't a problem in my dungeon of a basement, but any water that lands on the floor behind the washer now is going to stay there because I can't get at it to clean it up. The floor is vinyl, but still.......

I suspect a taller person with the right tools and better skills will be able to do the job, but I don't relish the idea of asking for help (or hiring help) every year.

• regus_patoff
    14 years ago

... the Water Shut-Off Valves may be accessible, but maybe not the little Hose Screens that are on the back of the Washer ...

Depending on your water source and quailty, you may need a separate (accessible) Water Filter for your Washer.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH