Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphy_zone7

Maytag Bravos TL HE washer Clean cycle

murphy_zone7
13 years ago

I love my "new" (about one year old) machine only one small complaint...I can't do a soak cycle, bought the wrong version...who knew. Anyway I am wondering about the cleaning cycle. It has an alarm light that reminds me it is time to clean. I used the Affresh sample the first time and since I have just used bleach in the clean cycle. I am wondering if there are any other products out there that would work. Or is the bleach I am using fine? I leave the lid open which probably accounts for the fact that I have no odor or mold problems. The Affresh is pretty pricey and want to make sure that the cheaper bleach I am using won't cause problems with my machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Murphy

Comments (12)

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

SmellyWasher gets good reviews and is cheaper, too. It's also gentler than bleach. That said, if you say you take care of your washer and it has no smell to it then why clean it? Cleaning cycles are really only for those people that don't maintain their appliances...

Couldn't you soak things by either turning the washer off or simply pulling the plug?

HTH, Alex

• dianne47
    13 years ago

You can open the lid for a few minutes to "force" a soak. Don't turn it off or unplug it, I'm pretty sure if you do either all the water drains out.

• murphy_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. Dianne47, that is exactly what happens if I turn it off...the water drains away. It will only allow about 5 min from pause to cut off if you don't start it back up. So much for a soak.
    whirlpool, there is a light that comes on the control panel that indicates a cleaning is due. It can be reset by pressing cancel. The manual says if you cancel the cleaning cycle, you need to rinse out the detergent and softener dispensers by running a rinse and spin cycle with an empty machine. I am not sure what would happen if I ignore the clean warning too long. Probably smells would develop over time, so I just wonder if anyone has used only bleach as a cleaning agent in this cycle.
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Murphy

• whirlpool_trainee
    13 years ago

Nothing will happen of you ignore the cleaning message - if you maintain your washer properly. That is if you run hot washes on a regular basis, use chlorine or oxy bleach and enough detergent. Cleaning cycles are for those people that don't do any of the above and have gunk in their machine as a result.

Alex

• gates1
    13 years ago

Great advice Alex and so true. I had my FL for over 9 years, never had a mold or smell issue. Its all in you you do your wash and the temperatures you use.

• murphy_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good enough! Thanks for the info. Will continue as I have been, it has worked for about a year now. I need to quit worrying about stuff and just do it! LOL

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

Murphy, I too have a Maytag Bravos washer, and love it!

When the 'clean' light comes on, I just fill up the bleach dispenser (to the highest level) with Clorox and run the Clean cycle.

Sometimes when I wash very dirty/stained laundry, I do soak it. You really don't have to have a Soak cycle to do that. You can just hit the Pause button (just one time), and the washer will stop right there. I have soaked laundry overnight this way and then pressed the Start button the next day to resume that cycle and let it finish.

HTH :)

• goody422_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

My washer is making a ratteling sound a few time in the rinse and spin cycle, and when i turn to the clean cycle i put affresh in it and its estimated time is 1:02 mins but it only takes about 5 mins before it beeps that its done.............Please Help I payed almost 1900 for my pair exactly 2 years ago ..........dont tell me im gonna have to dump more in them.

• murphy_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mara, at what point or time remaining do you hit pause? I can't tell when mine has enough water in it to soak, wish I had gotten the see-thru lid....LOL
    Sorry I haven't responded before now, "life matters" got in the way of computer time.
    Jay, wish I had an answer for you. Mine goes through a whole cycle before beeping that it is done. Are you sure that it is done in five minutes or is it just a signal that the lid cannot be opened?
    I am afraid you may need to have a repair person look at it.
    My posting may bring this to the top of the list and someone else will see it and help you. Or post a new message with the noise issue in the title.
    Murphy

• karenmsu97_aol_com
    12 years ago

Jay, did you ever find an answer to your problem? Mine just started doing the exact same thing. I really don't want to call a repair person.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

Mara, at what point or time remaining do you hit pause? I can't tell when mine has enough water in it to soak, wish I had gotten the see-thru lid...

My apologies, Murphy. Somehow I missed this question when you posted it. Good thing Karen bumped this thread up!

I usually wait about 10 minutes to hit Pause on mine (setting the kitchen timer reminds me to check on it). I make sure the "Wash" light is lit up when I hit Pause. HTH!

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

If you use Clorox in the 'Clean Washer' cycle as I do, I would advise you to wash white towels, or something similar, in your next wash load, as it seems a bit of residual Clorox can still be in the dispenser and/or go into the next wash load. My DD learned this the hard way when she recently washed a swimsuit. :( Lesson learned. Thankfully it wasn't her best swimsuit.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting