Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave1812_gw

Samsung FL water level adjustment--beware...

dave1812
12 years ago

of "too much of a good thing". As some of you know, there are Youtube videos that describe how to easily adjust the water level on a Samsung FL. the adjustment is done by turning a sensor adjustment screw clockwise to increase water level, or CC to decrease it. Some of the online videos go way overboard, by suggesting that 6 full turns is "necessary" to obtain a good water level. For grins, I decided to just how sensitive the pressure switch is to adjustments. Turns out that one to two full turns makes a big difference! I have found that my particular washer is a bit sloppy with it's water level--some loads have no extra water, while others have an adequate amount. I found that a bit more than 3 turns from factor gives a whopping amount of water--several inches up the door.

Now here is the thing: in order to get good washing results, the clothes need to be "lifted" upwards during agitation. If you have the water level too high, the rotating drum will be unable to do anything but spin around the clothes sitting in a large puddle of water, with just the paddles passing under them. That is not going to give you a good wash, IMO. You want there to be "adequate" water, but not so much that the clothes can't be lifted/tumbled. I ended up setting the switch to 3/4 turn clockwise from factory. The water level almost reaches the front rim of the drum. Having the water an inch or two above the bottom of the door seal simply doesn't allow the clothes to be lifted up correctly.

Having said all that, I don't recommend that anyone start monkeying around with the water level settings, but IF you decide to do that, I think you may be disappointed in the washing efficacy, and you'll certainly be using a LOT more water if you see water several inches above the bottom of the seal. More is not always better. It seems that Samsung chose a water level that gives it a great efficiency rating and decent cleaning prowess. Obviously such low water levels (Samsung's) aren't going to give maximum rinsing ability---everything is a trade-off.

Comments (8)

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

I wert to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1O0fzGjDK0 and that sure looks like an older Samsung to me. Not sure how it would apply to my WF 737. I am reallyleary of making non factory settings but my washer is definately rationing the water. I/m not sure if the door seals are that good, or if the pump or suspension could stand the extra weight. Sometimes things are engineered with the expectation that the factory settings will be left alone. But it would be nice to have just one inch more water too.

• dave1812
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nerdy, the suspension and seal can both accommodate more weight. :) Ever watched the Pure Cycle run?? the second fill for Pure Cycle uses LOTS more water than when washing clothes--by a mile! Your concerns are unfounded (except that I am NOT advocating that anyone tinker with water levels). If you read my first post in it's entirety, you would have noticed that I stated that I am not suggesting people adjust water levels. I wrote it as a WARNING to those that DO adjust water levels to rethink adding so much that washing efficacy suffers.

• ArliVie
    11 years ago

As mentioned in an earlier post, I adjusted the pressure switch on my older Samsung WF220. (Interestingly, this model with internal heater is now discontinued, whereas its predecessor, the WF210ANW in these various Youtube videos, is still being sold.) I, too, thought the excessive water in the videos was counterproductive. Therefore, I turned the pressure switch by only 2.5 to 3 turns clockwise, enough to add an additional gallon or two. I find that this is the optimum water level to get my clothes clean(er), with plenty of lift/drop action, and the rinse cycles now show superior results.

My warranty had already expired by the time I decided to tinker with the pressure switch. I figured it was worth a shot since I could always undo it. Now, I am not saying that I advocate adjusting the water level, just that you have the option of doing it if you choose to... and it wouldn't be the end of the world. :-)

• mark40511
    11 years ago

Dave - I fully AGREE with you! For me, I do not have a Samsung, but I have seen the videos you're talking about. You do NOT want too much water but it is nice to have MORE water than the factory settings. Perfect amount would be just where water is touching the boot or just a wee bit higher. Lots of clothes lifting dropping and splashing around, good rinse action, but too much water and they will just roll around in the water. There is a youtube vid I posted on this a while back where a lady attempted to adjust her washer and at the end her husband finally helped her and the final result (to me) was the perfect water level- just touching the boot and/or very bottom of the glass. NOT half way up to door.

• dave1812
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mark, thanks for reinforcing that too much water is not a good thing! :) I had to back the screw all the way back to just slightly over a 1/2 turn; otherwise lifting action was seriously impeded. The water level comes close to the edge of the stainless tank rim. If the level is much above that, lifting action is nearly all gone. If the level is a few inches above the bottom of the glass, then clothes just sit nearly motionless, with the plastic fins swishing underneath them.

• Dante Faust
    2 years ago

I couldn't care less about efficiency or water saving Samsung is imposing upon us... . I want my clothes clean . From what I've seen so far in my washing machine is just a bunch of "wet rags" rolling around not getting cleaned enough . The clothes need to be submerged in water at least partially to make them more than decently clean. I think Samsung needs to rethink their idiotic water saving measures and start making washers that will actually make the clothes respectably clean

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@Dante Faust, All frontloaders take less water than 20 years ago. Samsung specifically is not the instigator on that point. The premise of washing in a frontloader is less water and the tumbling clothes slap against the surface of the drum as they fall. More water cushions the force of the fall, and may result in the load floating and not tumbling at all. Delicate cycles typically fill higher for gentler action.

There are numerous toploaders nowadays that still fill to deeper levels. A few of them offer only two fill levels, half or full ... so wash a couple shirts or a pair of jeans and they'll be swimming.