Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Level Too Low... Not for me!

Posted by BypassGenius (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 0:58

I've read a lot of posts about the newer style top load washers. Most complaints are all the same.
a) Water not hot enough in NORMAL Cycle
b) Water level too low

Welcome to my bypass method to beat the federal regulations.

In your laundry tub, attach a garden hose splitter to the faucet. To one end of the splitter attach a length of old garden hose just long enough to reach the washer tub.

The trick is to 'fool' the washer into thinking the load of laundry is heavier than it actually is.

Why?

If the washer senses a heavier load, it adds more water to the wash.

Here's what to do... After you throw in your load and detergent, take your hose from the sink and soak the clothes that are in the washer. Get them good and wet. You can't over do it so don't worry if the tub starts to fill up.

Now start you wash. The tub will drain out any of the water you put in, but here's where you fool the machine. When it's ready to fill the tub, the washer weighs the laundry load. Since the laundry is soaking wet, it weighs a lot more that it would if the laundry was dry. Presto! The machine now fills up with enough water to do a load. And if it's still not enough, simply pause the machine, open the lid, grab your hose and fill the machine to YOUR desired level.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting how to bypass the ATC Control. The ATC is what regulates the temperature of your wash water. I've come up with a fairly inexpensive way to do this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Level Too Low... Not for me!

Only in America do we need to go thru such motions just to wash our Laundry. I personally use a front loader that uses little water and I get great results, but I feel the government needs to stop all these regulations and get out of our homes. If I want to buy a water hog and I'm paying the bills then it is not the governments place to say I can't do it. What's next, machines that will only allow 2 loads per week?

o

If Im going to go through all that trouble to do a load of laundry, I might as well just use a conventional TL. By the time you wet the clothes, waste the water that drains out, before it fills again, I can have a load of clothes halfway done in my speed queen TL and no water was wasted to begin with. It was all used in the wash to start with.

o

@BypassGenius...

Pretty interesting find you suggested.
Do you find the rinse water is increased as well since most new front loaders remember how heavy the wash was and add slightly more for the rinses?

I look forward to your ATC work-a-round.

o

LOL! genius?? I think not. Anyone that is familiar with the fact that on SOME cycles, the washers will weigh the clothes, knows that adding water right after throwing in the clothes, will result in a heavier load which will of course provide more water. simple common sense.

On my FRONT loader, I solved the issue by SLIGHTLY adjusting the setting on the pressure switch. No need to screw around with adding water manually.

As far as the ATC goes, I solved the cold water issue by installing extra hoses, a valve, and a check valve (to prevent cold water-flow into the hot side hose). The additional hardware allowed me to modify the cold-water inlet temperature, which gives a warmer wash, but also will increase the cold water rinse temps which isn't always a great idea. I ended up removing all that stuff once I found out that the crux of my issue with water temps was that there is a flaw in the ATC design on my washer, when it comes to the NORMAL cycle. All other cycles meter water temp correctly (samsung 520).

o
cynnicism...

I see a lot of negativity and anger on the replies to my post. Sorry to bother all you people. I won't be posting here anymore.

Sorry to take up your time.

Regards,

Mike

o

I think one doesn't need to saturate the load fully - depending on the load size, a bucket of water will add enough weight to the load to trick the washer. In that case, you'd only be 'pre-wetting' the clothes and not waste any water. Otherwise, this method is pretty simple an works on those cycles that weigh the load.

Adding wet clothes might also work on front loaders such as LG or Samsung that initially spin the load the sense the amount. But not on others such as my Whirlpool, which adjusts the cycle time, fill levels and duration of each part of the cycle based on the initial amount of water it takes to saturate the load for the main wash (or pre-wash, if selected). If I'd add wet clothes to the washer, the flow-meter would register that it only need a little bit of extra water to achieve the fill level, thus a small load is sensed. Rinse cycles are not only shortened but the water level would be way too low. I tried this once and the clothes weren't even fully wet for the rinse because the calculated amount of rinse water was too little. Spin cycles are also shortened.

A word of caution on too much water in a HE top loader. If the water level is so high that clothes float and no longer make contact to the impeller/infusor, one actually decreases the wash performance.

Alex

o

Hi Mike,

One definitely has to recruit a thick skin on the Internet -- it would be a pity if you let these well-intended comments break your stride. I think the source of the anger you sense is in perceived heavy-handed government regulation that requires consumers to go through extra work to get what they believe they want. While your ideas aren't new, they merit repeating, refreshing, and further discussion, at least to those interested in the topic.

Personally, I think some of the concern over water level is based on ignorance of the full physics/chemistry involved in washing. Really, the washing phase doesn't require that much water. Think about it, do hands get washed better by dipping them in a pool of water and moving them around slowly, while not touching any other object? Or do they get washed better by putting on a little dab of soap, a light spray of water, and then one hand clasps the other and vice versa in contact-agitation? Intuitively, most of us should know the answer to that one.

Still, it is fun to experiment, and you should feel welcome to contribute your knowledge, theories, and experiences.

-John

o

As Alex says, Whirlpool Duets (some models, if not all of them) measure the initial fill volume via a flow meter. The amount of water needed to saturate the load and reach a specific sump level to trigger the water level pressure switch is noted via the flow meter. Depending on the selected cycle, the control board then fills to a given percentage more volume of water (50%, 150%, etc.) than what the flow meter initially measured. The flow meter measures the additional fill. Less water is needed to reach the pressure switch level if the load is already saturated at the start, so the additional calculated fill will be accordingly less and the end result would be a lower water level, not higher.

o

"genius", the problem with your OP was your name and the condescension dripping throughout your post. You act as you are revealing deep secrets about washers that no one else but you has ever considered. this aint rocket science and as someone else mentioned, you might want to develop a thicker skin if you post on line. grow a pair!

o

Mike,

I appreciate you taking the time to post the information you discovered. I am sure it has helped someone who read it. Ignore these ignorant souls who post nasty and/or negative responses. For someone to get upset and tell you to "grow a pair" shows the lack of mentality and maturity to have a discussion. Ignore them and keep on posting my friend :)

o

Mike -

I too appreciate you taking the time to share this with us :)

o

You last too posters REALLY couldn't figure out ON YOUR OWN, that wet clothes are heavier than dry ones??? UNBELIEVABLE!

o

Dave1812,

I know wet clothes are heavier than dry clothes. I do have a suggestion for you however. Why don't you spend your time getting educated so you can stop posting incorrect grammar and spelling on these forums. Let me help you out because I realize you are ignorant. The correct spelling you should have used in your post is TWO not TOO. Don't you remember? One plus one equals two. Here's what two looks like: 2. It is a noun. Now pay attention. Too means "in addition". It is an adverb. Here's an example: Dave1812 is a dumbass too.

I could continue but I realized I could be responding to a kid who is thriving for attention. I will not feed that need. I will not be responding to nor acknowledging you anymore.

o

Powrbruh,

Your note may have been more cogent had you not omitted punctuation, placed quotation marks incorrectly and misused the word, "thriving." ;>

o

Thank you for informing me :)

o

I tried saturating a load of jeans, towels, socks and underwear to see if my LG megawasher would add more water. It didn't. It just added more time than usual. It senses the loads by tumbling and spinning while adding water. The jets shoot out water while the tub is spinning. After this sensing method, it starts to fill with water.

I wanted to inform you that saturating the clothes does not work with all frontload washers.

o

I use an empty 3L detergent container, fill it with water, then empty it on the dry load before starting the washer. This definitely gets my Bravos machine to put more water in the wash cycle. I'm more interested in getting enough water in the machine (more gentle on the load) than running the washer with barely enough water to cover the load.

When others make snide or condescending comments about my posts, I just think, 'Wow, what a jerk,' and carry on. I think some take out their daily frustrations by being rude on the web. Thanks to the OP for taking time to post something helpful.

o

Mike,
Thank you for this post. I agree with you and I appreciate your post!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here