Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mieleforme

Hello Again Persil !

mieleforme
12 years ago

Thought I would try to save money last summer and started buying store brands. What a mistake... I know many say that per load, Persil works out to be the same but let's be real, it's pricy. I dont care, I love it. I used all the top domestic brands but all of my laundry felt like it had a film on it regardless of how much I used ( I used too much to not enough ). I even reduced my FS usesage to next to nothing, then I go stiff laundry that felt like it had a film on it, I couldn't win. Purchased $300 worth of Persil (years supply I think) What a relief. First of all NOTHING smells better, it's very forgiving if you over or under dose, laundry feels clean and not coated in chemicals, and I'm able to use normal amounts of softener still without the laundry feeling like its full of soap. Nice to have laundry that Smells clean, feels clean and clear, and is soft enough. I know we all know,but again, Persil is the BEST!

Comments (37)

• dualref
    12 years ago

I can't help but think that the US detergent mfgs must know how popular Persil is. Why can't they come up with a product that is just as good? I haven't met a person yet who didn't like Persil.

• sandy1616
    12 years ago

I love the smell of Persil. It does rinse the best and my clothes are clean. I have to think that it just isn't appealing to the household market or surely Hinkle would sell it here.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

You can count me as one who doesn't like Persil. I love everything about it except the smell. I tried it numerous times and just can't do it. When I got my new Miele machines last year I tried it again - somehow hoping the Miele would rinse more of the smell out and I'd be happy ... not. I gave away $100 worth to my mom who loves it (uses it in her new LG FL she got last year).

After (literally) years searching and trying, I finally found what makes me happy. When I bought my machines I received a free upgrade to a 10 year warranty which came with $100 worth of free care products. I also received more credit after some install issues with my dryer.

Anyway, I didn't hold out much hope since they smelled quite strong in the box but .... Miele Care is amazing to me! Cleans beautifully and leaves only a light pleasant smell. I actually love the smell. The Ultra Color has a lavender/floral smell.

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't like Persil (and isn't afraid to spend a little more on detergent) - Miele Ultra Care is great.

I've been using the same box for months so it does last.

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

I just found a HUGE box of Persil Megaperls Universal in the way back of my laundry room Storage closet (I think my cousin brought it to me from Germany, last Summer).

It does whiten very well, and of course I LOVE the smell. After 3 rinses, the smell is (sadly to me) almost gone though!

It rinses better than any detergent on the market, but without Fabric Softener...I find Persil to leave clothes, towels and sheets very stiff and crunchy. Still, Persil is a real Workhorse!!

I honestly, think I have grown to love the smell of Tide he powder almost more than Persil.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@cavimum, I've used Persil Sensitive too and Miele Care has less smell when done than the PS - and smells much nicer to my nose :)

I find Miele Care leaves my things not too rough or crunchy.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@livebetter - the perfume makes us itch, unfortunately. ;-(

• dualref
    12 years ago

I bought a box of Persil Bio powder from the UK a few years ago. The box stunk up the entire house when it arrived! I finally put it on a shelf in the garage for about 6 months. The smell was greatly reduced by then and the detergent worked beautifully.
    I also find that much of the smell of Persil leaves the clothes after washing.
    This is much better than the Mango-Tango, Fruity Fresh, Bouquet of Flowers odors of American detergents. To me Persil just smells clean. Period.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@dualref, Persil from the UK is not the same as Persil from Germany (this post is about the German version). UK is made by Unilever and German is made by Henkel.

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Smell is a very personal mater. I find like others it's almost gone after clothes are washed and dried. I wish it was a bit stronger, not much, but a bit.

• czechchick2
    12 years ago

I absolutelly agree!!!
    Should not remind me, now I'll have to get couple of boxes.
    Persil is the best.But as much as we wash, I always try to use something else or save Persil for whites only. I wash doggies bedding in it too! Having 2 large dogs, one box last me 2 weeks! That's lots of money.

• dualref
    12 years ago

Livebetter:

The OP just mentioned Persil. They did not specify that it was GERMAN Persil. They could have been talking about either. You are the only one in this thread that seems to think that the only Persil on the face of the planet is the Henkel version.
    Nowhere in this thread did any of the posters say we are talking about the German Persil ONLY but you.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@dualref, sorry you took offence to my comment. It wasn't intended to irritate you - just indicate for others reading what was really being discussed.

In fact, your reaction to my post is quite puzzling. You seem overly defensive.

I never said German Persil was the only "one on the face of the planet" (over exaggerate much), I merely pointed out that the posters were discussing the German version which is IN FACT different than the UK version. I didn't even offer an opinion on the UK version as I've never used it.

I've been reading here long enough to know that these posters are INDEED talking about German Persil.

They can correct me if I'm wrong but I noticed none of them chimed in to say I was wrong.

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

Livebetter....

You are NOT wrong. I 100% assumed we were all talking & obsessing about German, Henkel Persil. I wouldn't even consider British Persil, real Persil at all. Ohhh yeah, I stirred the pot. British Persil is bad Persil!!! LOL

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

@ Larsi: Bwahahaha!

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Thanks for the back up Larsi!

In fact, as I just read back through this thread a few people actually refer to the German version (for Heaven's sake).

Larsi said "Megaperls" which denotes Henkel (does it not?) and even talks about a family member bringing it from GERMANY. Sandy16 called it "Hinkle" but I knew she meant Henkel.

Apparently only @Dualref was out of the loop. I thought I "kindly" pointed it out but it appears it only offended him/her. Got me a nasty call out?*?*

Huh? Can't figure everyone out ... onwards and upwards :)

• onlygirlsmom
    12 years ago

Do you know if you can get it cheaper in Germany? I have relatives in Germany and they're always asking what I want them to bring for me from Germany...maybe I should tell them Persil next time :) (I've been using Charlie's Soap for awhile now and am pretty happy with it. It could do a slightly better job on whites but I blame that on not soaking the clothes and pre treating well enough)

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Persil is definitely cheaper in Germany. @Larsi always gets his family to bring lots of laundry products.

My parents just had a friend come to visit from Germany (he's still here actually) and he offered to bring me anything. Too bad I don't like Persil - it's the way to go if you can.

He does bring fabulous dark chocolate though that is so yum!

• SaraKat
    12 years ago

I ordered from Amazon, very pricey. It smells fine, I like the smell but not anything to write home about, not offensive in the least "to me". Haven't noticed anything else about it that is different or superior to American products. Certainly expensive at $19 for a 1.35 liter bottle (says 18 load) ~IMO YMMV.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@SaraKat, not sure what you bought but most posters here are discussing the Persil Megaperls which are not liquid (I believe anyway).

What type of machine do you own?

• SaraKat
    12 years ago

I have a front loader GE and yes I did get the liquid so I need to check out the Megaperls!!

• izeve
    12 years ago

Seriously, guys!!! British Persil is actually super nice. My daughter is at university in Scotland and brings me British Persil as a "special treat" whenever she comes home. It works great and smells wonderful. I save it for special occassions because it works so well. I have used the Henkel version (got some when I was in Italy last year) and the British Persil works and smells just as good!

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

@ Livebetter: Do you have an internet source for Miele Care products? To complicated for those of us below the boarder? Did you ever find a replacement for your Shaklee FS?

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@covingtoncat, I buy mine directly from Miele Canada. I had quite a few hundred dollars in credit for Miele Care products so have been using those. They are almost gone though so will have to start paying retail :(

Worth it in my opinion.

I had to order from Miele.ca to use my credit but I can purchase them directly from the Miele Gallery if I go there or the Miele Warehouse as well.

I think a local vacuum store may carry them as well.

There is this vacuum store that sells them on line as well. This is what they say re: shipping to USA, "United States shipping rates are posted in check-out and take 3-10 days via FedEx Ground and are subject to duties and taxes which are based on federal and state laws."

Would love if you would try them and tell me what you think.

Can you not order them through Miele USA. Here is a link.
    http://www.mielestore.com/stores/miele/buy_online/item_list.aspx?product_category_id=4&product_type=ACC

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Care - McHardy Vacuum

• livebetter
    12 years ago

@covingtoncat, I realized I did not answer your FS question.

Sadly no, I did not find a replacement.

I still have a small amount left and use it for my kids' clothes. It smells so nice.

I now have Downy Free & Clear and the Miele FS as well. The Miele smelled like it would be quite strong but I only use a bit and it smells quite nice when load is dry.

I was tempted to try the Seventh Generation new Free & Clear version but managed to control the urge. I did however, buy the 4X liquid in the Geranium Vanilla scent (I'm SO weak ... lol). I haven't used it yet as I'm so happy with Miele I'm scared ... lol again.

• fahrenheit_451
    12 years ago

I know Larsi is not a big fan of Miele Care branded products (except the For Delicates that I believe is now renamed Miele WoolCare Liquid Detergent), but I had high-praise for them. Ceased using them only because I could not access Miele's website, but I see today that I can now gain access. Persil is excellent too and I used order it from a now defunct mail order.

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

I really do like the Persil (for whites). I get amazing results. But the price is off putting.

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

Yeah, Besides from the Miele Care Delicates, I was very disappointed with the Miele liquid and powder detergents. I found them harsh on fabrics, not as good at removing stains like Persil (or Tide), and the smell was (for me) not great!

I really do find that Tide he powder (Original scent) or even the Tide he powder with Bleach, whitens just as well Persil, and it is a fraction of the cost. I still love Persil, but when I run out....I do not freak anymore. I just wait for my family to bring supplies from our hometown in Germany, or I use Tide! :)

• mieleforme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My Stash for the Year...

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

@mieleforme....Drooling!!! :) Love this pic & stash!!!

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

What Larsi said. Wowza!

• sandy1616
    12 years ago

My husband just returned from a trip to Germany. He brought a refresher for my Persil supply but also Spee megaperls. Looks like persil but smells very different. Has anyone tried this?

• mysteryclock
    12 years ago

Anyone know if Persil Mega-Caps will be available in the US?

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

@mysteryclock...

My family from Germany is set to come in early June. They asked me yesterday, for my list of goodie wishes from the Vaterland! I added the Persil Mega-Caps to my list...along with the Somat 10 dishwasher tabs, Vernel fabric softeners, Persil Black, and some Knorr sauce packets that are not sold in the USA!!

• livebetter
    12 years ago

What are these mega caps?

• Donna-37
    11 years ago

Persil Mega-Caps

Here is a link that might be useful: Persil Mega-Caps

• vadefeo
    10 years ago

You can find German Persil at the German Deli.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Deli-Persil