Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atrac_gw

HE detergent in a regular washer?

atrac
17 years ago

I have scoured the net looking for an answer to this question. Indeed, it's an odd one. Can I use HE detergent in a regular washer and have good results? Logic suggests that since HE washers use less water, the recommended amount of it in a regular washer would be quickly diluted. Would I in fact have to use double (or more) of the amount of HE detergent to make up for the increased water amount in a regular washer?

Most likely the first question to ME for my post would be WHY on Earth would I want to use HE detergent in a regular washer???? Well, it seems like HE detergent has better cleaning properties than regular detergent. Also, it seems that it would rinse out better. FINALLY, Safeway had their HE Ultra Select brand on clearance for $2.50 for a 100 Ounce bottle. That seemed cheap enough for me to buy 5 bottles of it. Of course, if I need to use triple the dosage (based on my water dilution theory), then it's clearly not a good deal for me with my regular style washer.

It's interesting to me that Sears seems to only sell their liquid detergent as HE compatible. Does that mean on the instructions it tells people to use twice the dosage for a regular washer (since it says it's compatible with both)?

From reading over this forum, it seems that the majority of people here HAVE HE washers. Is that true too?

When I did a search on the net for my question, I came up with a TON of queries for "can I use regular detergent in my HE washer?" Only on Yahoo did I find someone asking MY question, but the answer was "only if you want your clothes to stay dirty." Is that really the answer?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)