Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmc53

Help with Miele Rotary Iron B890

lmc53
14 years ago

I purchased a 3 year old Miele B890 Rotary Iron that was used in an upscale restaurant to press napkins and tablecloths. (The restaurant closed due to the economy.) The rotary iron works great but, the heater plate (shoe)has a build up of residue that needs to be removed. I called Miele and they suggested I use a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. The 50/50 solution didn't work, so I tried using undiluted vinegar, but it didn't remove the residue. I even used Ez-Off, a non-flammable, hot metal ironing surface cleaner that I purchase from Atlanta Thread to clean my Hi-Steam boiler iron, and my Rowenta iron, but Ez-Off didn't remove the residue either. I'm not sure what the residue is, but it's probably a combination of starch, grease, and scorch. I think I will try using a non-abrasive cleaner like Bon Ami, but I would like to remove the roller to access the heater plate for easier cleaning, but I don't know how. I would truly appreciate information, or suggestions from any of you on the laundry forum who know about Miele Rotary Irons, or other rotary irons. Thank you

Comments (7)

• hidroman
    14 years ago

Hi Linda,

have you tried Mr Clean's Magic Sponge ?
    As an extreme attempt before removing the roller try this :

- wrap the roller into a waterproof sheet and stick it with some scotch tape.

- Set the dial to "no heat"

- soak the magic sponge, wring it and "iron" it on those very places where the "shoe" has the buildup. Use a old beach towel under the sponge : the waterproof foil probably would not slide enough under the shoe

The ironer pressure should help the sponge to work faster. I guess each sponge will not outlast more than an half dozen of "ironings".

It's just an idea, so feel free to blame me if it didn't work and made you waste a good half hour. I guess it's worth a try before messing with mechanical parts.

HTH
    hidroman

• fahrenheit_451
    14 years ago

Can you use a vapor/steam cleaner?

• lmc53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hidroman,
    I tried the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, but they didn't clean the deposits off of the heater plate. It's the first time I've used Mr. Clean Magic pads, and they clean the walls really well. However, the next time I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Cleaning pads I will wear gloves. The US Dept. of Health and Human Services Household Products Database states the ingredients in the Magic Eraser Cleaning are are Formaldehyde, Melamine, and Sodium bisulfite copolymer.

Fahrenheit,
    There's not enough room to put a steam cleaner against the heater plate. I did try.

I have called Miele Use and Care technicians three times, but they don't want to give instructions to remove the roller to access the heater plate.

I believe the residue on the heater plate is grease from napkins and tablecloths. That's what the residue looks like, so I'm going to use a gel product that removes baked on grease and carbon. I ordered it today, and I will let you know the results.

Thank you for your suggestions. I truly appreciate your help.

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

Grease from napkins and tablecloths? I guess they washed them in cold water.

• lmc53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Suburbanmd,
    The restaurant owner told me that sending the tablecloths and napkins to the laundry was very expensive. To save money he purchased a washer, dryer and the rotary iron. The wait staff did the laundry, and I don't know the water temperature, or the detergent they used to wash the linens. The Miele rotary iron has a removable, washable, roller cover. When I removed the cover I noticed it had a grease odor, which is why I believe the residue on the heater plate is grease buildup. Starch, scorch, or hard water deposits are easy to remove with the cleansers I've used. I have ordered a product from Diablo Chemical that is used in the restaurant industry to remove baked on grease and it is safe for metals including aluminum. I'm confident it will work. I'll post my results.

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Linda, what was the outcome of your efforts to clean your rotary iron? How do you like the appliance and would you buy it all over again? I've heard of a good deal for one locally and am considering it.

lynn

• livebetter
    13 years ago

Swoon ... I dream of owning one. Please post back how you like it and if it's worth it. I love to iron!