Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Very small mud/ laundry room about to be updated...suggestions wa

Posted by ilene-84 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 23:29

My laundry/ mud room is both narrow and very small. At either end are doors to kitchen, and to side yard, which we use during the summer as an entrance with company. Between dryer and wall I have just enough room for ironing board. The washer and dryer are touching each other, the hoses and exhaust for the dryer are visible...I 'm going to put cabinets above W&D, and a shelf. The wallpaper I'm removing. I'm not sure if I should try to make mud/laundry room seem like a continuation of my kitchen, and use same style cabinets and colors for this room? My kitchen cabinets are creamy white, I had them painted, or if it's ok just to buy white ones I've seen at big box stores which are reasonable. Even though there is a door at kitchen entrance it's left open often. The floor is old white linoleum, I have a carpet runner over it, initially the carpet was put there to for my 12 year old toy poodle, but I like having carpeting there so am thinking of keeping floor, and getting a nice area rug to go over it. Do you think I should still replace white linoleum floor since it shows? If I replace would use wood tone linoleum or vinyl. I am getting a laundry rack which works on pulleys and will be hung from the ceiling....now it's either in my DR, or being moved from one doorway to another, thanks in advance for your help.

This post was edited by ilene-84 on Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 8:19

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Very small mud/ laundry room about to be updated...suggestion

Ilene, I would not replace the floor unless it is unsightly or in need of a lot of repairs. If it is still in good shape, I would buy new area rugs. They will freshen up the space. Also, since there is a door, you can always close the door as needed. Your laundry/mud room is clearly a separate room from the kitchen, so no need to try and match the kitchen cabinetry. Go with the white cabinets from the box store that meets your needs. Is the space next to the washer large enough for a small cabinet/sink and do you have need for that? The laundry rack and a folding ironing board that attaches to the wall (if that is not what you have-I was not sure) should easily fit into the space. Don't spend more money than you need to. The cabinets alone will give you additional storage space and spruce up the room along with the new rugs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here