Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elgable

Perwoll for Blacks and Darks Liquid Detergent Question

elgable
10 years ago

Hello! I think I have thoroughly searched the forum for this answer and haven't found it. Therefore I am a first time poster! I have read many people's wonderful comments about Perwoll for Blacks and Darks. I am looking for the best detergent to use on black and navy blue scrubs. I am certain Perwoll would do an excellent job maintaining the material's color; however will it also 1) clean well enough to get everyday stains out of dental scrubs and 2) not fade or discolor the white thread embroidery on my scrub top?
Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

I am devoted to Perwoll dark for all our black clothes. I use it for lingerie, cottons, synthetics and for blue jeans. I feel it cleans very well and doesn't affect the stitching on the jeans at all. Don't see why it wouldn't work for scrubs.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Depends on what types of stains you want to remove. Looking at the ingredient list of Perwoll, it has one enzyme, Cellulase, which eats fuzz (pilling) off cotton items. Regular Persil Color Gel, depending on the formula, has more enzymes in it. I counted three enzymes in the Lavender and six in the regular Color gel.

Either way, I'd also suggest a genlte cycle with more soaking than tumbling at warm temps. That's what enzymes like the most, while it's still gentle on the fabric.

Alex

• elgable
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@rococogurl: Thank you! it sounds like you have great success with a variety of applications which bodes well for me. When you mention stitching on jeans, does the stitching happen to be white or just a lighter color than the jeans? My stitching is BRIGHT white, and IâÂÂm concerned that even a bit of dulling would affect it negatively.
    @whirlpool: I appreciate the information on the wash cycle. I will do as you suggested! Most days the soiling we're dealing with is from saliva and occasionally some dental products which range so widely in make-up that I've given up trying to match specific enzymes to them. Sometimes we might have some specs of blood on us as well. Tide HE liquid with Bleach alternative has done a good job in the past with cleansing (just not such a good job keeping material looking new) which is why IâÂÂm looking to switch (Want to start out on the right foot ⦠weâÂÂre buying new scrubs)
    SOOO⦠@whirpool and @rococogurl: should I consider using Persill color gel? Will it keep the black and navy looking as good (or nearly as good) as the Perwoll for Blacks and Darks while cleaning better (more enzymes)? Or feel free to suggest something entirely different based on the info IâÂÂve given.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

@elgable - I've not used Persil color gel, only their gel for whites. I use Caldrea for anything that is not white, black or wool.

I've used Perwoll for Darks on my North Face fleece stuff which has white embroidery, which it does not discolor. No blurring on the white stitching on my jeans. But no idea about scrubs or how they launder.

If you're coming off Tide HE there will be much less wear overall with any of the Henkels products IME.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Liquid Tide with Bleach Alternative contains four enzymes so Perwoll, with its fuzz-eating enzyme, probably won't clean as well. Unfortunately, Tide also contains brighteners that will make dark colors look faded and dusty-looking. Neither of the two Henkel gels has brighteners. Perwoll might have the added benefit of creating extra suds to cushion the clothes as they tumble and prevent damage... but you can get these suds with any cheap shampoo added to the wash as well. Therefore, I'd recommend Persil over Perwoll simply because it'll get the clothes cleaner. I'll have a look at the latest detergent test in our consumer magazine to see what they say about color preservation with regards to Persil Color.

Alex

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Okay, I read through the test of liquid detergents. Persil Color Gel Gold, Perwoll for Brilliant Colors and Perwoll Intensive Black all scored the same in the textile care category. However, only Persil Color gel was able to achieve a "good" stain removal at 104F, while the other two Henkel products scored "fair". Neither of the three products, or any liquid in the test for that matter, did well at removing stains in 68F wash water.

Alex