Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akcorcoran_gw

Laundry loves - innovative ideas & can't live withouts?!

akcorcoran
11 years ago

We are trying to finalize the plans for our laundry room - and I'll be posting a layout proposal here for some comments but I wondered if there were anything that you have in a laundry room that you can't live without? Or little ideas that can be learned from? A lot of times, the details in a utility room are what matter so I'm looking for any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Comments (9)

• Brad Edwards
    11 years ago

We are in the same stages right now, planning.

I want to do a double stacked washer and dryer pair for a total of 2 washers and 2 dryers. That way all our 4 kids can do whites and colors once a week and call it a day. Thus reducing laundry in half, not to mention making beds a snap.

I also plan on getting rolling carts "DIY" and commercial laundry metal baskets "like you see at hotels" for their rooms and zip tying the amount of laundry that needs to be done, once the lines reached, do it.

I think added storage is always a good thing, a flip down ironing board "also in the DIY plans" as I am not spending 300 on one, and a couple of small marine cleats for hanging stuff on rainy days.

• dave1812
    11 years ago

have you ever owned a high capacity W/D combo before? they hold a TON of laundry. I can't see the NEED for two W/D for six people if they don't change their clothes twice a day. but of course, if money is no object and that's your thing... :)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I posted in your other thread, but I'll post here too. There was another similar thread as well from a while back that I've linked below with some good ideas.

The thing I love the most about our laundry is the double pullout laundry hampers we installed. We have 3 sets for a total of 6 hampers. We use them for sorting--lights, whites, darks, DH's work clothes, towels & sheets. Each hamper holds the perfect amount for exactly 1 load of laundry in our FL, so when the hamper is full, we just toss the hamperful of clothes into the washer and turn it on. When they're open, their purpose is obvious, when they're closed they look just like cabinetry and everything appears nice and tidy. (Please excuse the untidyness in the pics--I took those just after we moved in and things were still in disarray.)

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dream Laundry Layout Thread

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

@mydreamhome, thanks for your sorting idea. I saw your photos in the other thread. I was confused at first when I saw yours and others' hampers in the laundry; I'd always thought of hampers as closet storage until taken to the laundry. In our current home we simply have a 3-bin rolling hamper in our master bath from Costco we've been happy with, but in our new home I will be adding hamper pullouts or tiltouts in our master closet to declutter (new house has a minimalist esthetic).

The in-laundry sorting pullouts are a great idea, and your 1 load tip is awesome! Are those 50 quart Rev-a-Shelf bins? I have a 36" wide base cabinet that would fit 2 sets of 50 quart pullouts, but in our narrow, cramped laundry room (see layout), we would have to close the door to open the hamper pullouts. For just sorting, our Costco 3-bin rolling hamper would be fine, but your idea of sorting and holding, doing loads once bins fill up, is awesome.

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Hi There,

We are still in the process of rebuilding our home. So, not proved and not tested, is the counter height pass-through between the laundry room and master closet.

There will be a small counter height swinging door or a sliding door to close off any laundry room humidity. We will simply push a laundry basket of dirties into the laundryroom and push back a basket of clean and folded laundry into the closet via a shared countertop.

The pass-through will save steps carrying loaded baskets and reduce the bending and lifting for our aging bodies.

The remodel/rebuild is a work in progress and we won't expect to move back until June.

Want to thank everyone on GW for all the brilliant ideas and improvements that we would have never dreamed of, which are now being implemented in our new home. I love the built in sorting system described on this very thread!

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Hi There,

We are still in the process of rebuilding our home. So, not proved and not tested, is the counter height pass-through between the laundry room and master closet.

There will be a small counter height swinging door or a sliding door to close off any laundry room humidity. We will simply push a laundry basket of dirties into the laundryroom and push back a basket of clean and folded laundry into the closet via a shared countertop.

The pass-through will save steps carrying loaded baskets and reduce the bending and lifting for our aging bodies.

The remodel/rebuild is a work in progress and we won't expect to move back until June.

Want to thank everyone on GW for all the brilliant ideas and improvements that we would have never dreamed of, which are now being implemented in our new home. I love the built in sorting system described on this very thread!

• Zippity-do-dah
    11 years ago

Hi There,

• D Ahn
    11 years ago

For the laundry room with 24" deep cabinets, I'm sold on trash pullouts. But for 16-18" deep closet hampers, any thoughts on pullouts vs. tilt outs, Hafele vs. Rev-a-Shelf from those who own either? I looked at Hafele's catalog, but they simply list the options but no listing of the benefits of either so I can decide.

I would imagine tiltouts offer the advantage of auto-closing via gravity? Any other things that differentiate the two types and the two brands?

• sandy1616
    11 years ago

Oceandweller - For a year I had 2 washers and one dryer in a row with a counter top over them. With mine the drying takes 40 mins, a load of laundry 2 hours so it worked. Currently I have a full set by the upstairs bedrooms and a second set downstairs. It's great. If you are pressed for time it is a great idea. Just be sure you have it all up to code. Two washers and dryers running at the same time pulls a lot of electricity....